PDA

View Full Version : BRAKE Therapy experience??

d_douglas
10-16-2006, 02:02 PM
Has anyone ever used those Brake Therapy kits to convert a non-disc frame to a disc compatible one? I have a Handbuilt steel Rocky Mountain MTB of Tange Prestige Concept tubing that I was thinking of possibly welding a Disc mount onto, but a LBS employee recommended these as an alternative because he feared that the mount could compromise the integrity of the frame, risking breaking a chainstay in the process.

Are the Brake Therapy things easier on the bike? They seem a bit cheesy, but people on MTBR have rated them highly. The only bad review came from a guy with a cheap steel HT whose frame brake broke (first alarm bell!)

Anyways, what do you think? Leave the frame alone and use V's? Weld a Disc mount on with the assistance of an experienced framebuilder? Brake therapy?

Thankzzzzzzzzz

dirtclub
10-16-2006, 03:05 PM
brake therapy or the one by woodman is probably a better idea then welding on a new mount. keep in mind that you may need to use a specific rear hub to deal with spacing issues. if you weld on a brake mount you should probably put a brace between seatstay and chainstay. on top of the expense of welding on a brake mount you will also have to repaint the frame. $$$. i would look at your riding and ask yourself if it is worth all the time and money or if you would be better off treating yourself to a new frame.

pdonk
10-16-2006, 03:42 PM
If it is the yellow and red or green and maroon altitude, do not do anything or use any part that is not already on the bike. These frames have really fragile rear ends and are not the best candidates for any mods or the use of adapters.

If you have an older fillet brazed steel thunderbolt, don't mod it, it is a classic and deserves to be ridden as is.

d_douglas
10-16-2006, 03:48 PM
Not to be mistaken for the lame aluminum Vertex' that Rocky makes nowadays, this one is pure steel goodness.

I suppose the frame equates to a slightly heavier Altitude or a slightly lighter weight Blizzard, so it is definitely not a heavyweight frame.

As for treating myself to a new frame, it is not so much the issue as A) I have expensive tastes and therefore couldn't get a frame that I like for just a few hundred bucks and B) this frame is a rocketship - I have had a few other frames since buying this one and they are all gone, but this one has always ended up being stuffed in a box as a 'keeper'. That says it all, I suppose.

Would like a short travel FS bike, but am not so sure that its my style. SO, I have had one 'for' and one 'against' - what is the tiebreaker gonna say?

gdw
10-16-2006, 04:07 PM
Keep it as it. Why compromise a classic frame? Disks are great but converting your frame will be expensive and add another pound or more to the total weight. Save the cash and buy a new frame designed for disks if you really need them.