PDA

View Full Version : Rotor 3D+ cranks: any experience

skiezo
04-24-2018, 07:10 PM
I am getting ready to build up a carbon frame that I acquired here.
I will be building with 2014 11 speed SR/R groupset. I am thinking about a mid compact crankset and have been intrigued by the Rotor 3D+. I do have a set of fulcrum RS compacts and a 5 arm SR 53/39 but am looking at the mid cranks.
What is your experience with the rotor cranks?

RobJ
04-24-2018, 08:48 PM
I've used the 3D+'s on a few bikes, both road and TT/tri. Great cranks and no issues with either standard rings (NoQ) and Q-Rings. Usually ranked up there in their stiffness.

I personally would not put a Rotor crank on a bike outfitted with SR11 :eek: If you want to run compacts, find a set of Record or SR compacts. Not performance-related, strictly aesthetics.

djg21
04-24-2018, 09:33 PM
I am getting ready to build up a carbon frame that I acquired here.
I will be building with 2014 11 speed SR/R groupset. I am thinking about a mid compact crankset and have been intrigued by the Rotor 3D+. I do have a set of fulcrum RS compacts and a 5 arm SR 53/39 but am looking at the mid cranks.
What is your experience with the rotor cranks?

I got them on my new Allied Alpha. I have 150 miles on the bike since Saturday. They are cranks, and they seem to work like cranks. They are plenty stiff, and they look good. Rotor makes really nice stuff.

fogrider
04-24-2018, 10:32 PM
I've got them on my Legend Ti with mid compact rings, the shifting is great! Not sure what how it would look on your carbon bike with campy, but on a ti bike with DA 9000, it looks pretty nice.

ls1togo
04-25-2018, 08:46 AM
I've had both Ultegra and Dura Ace with compact and sub compact rings (Shimano and Praxis)...I recently switched out two bikes, a Ridley Helium and a Serotta Legend Ti, to Rotor 3d+'s mainly out of curiousity...I like them better than the Shimano's, they seem stiffer even though that's not backed up by test data..the Rotor rings also shift smoothly so I'm well satisfied and will continue to use them over Shimano.

Lewis Moon
04-25-2018, 08:53 AM
I've used the 3D+'s on a few bikes, both road and TT/tri. Great cranks and no issues with either standard rings (NoQ) and Q-Rings. Usually ranked up there in their stiffness.

I personally would not put a Rotor crank on a bike outfitted with SR11 :eek: If you want to run compacts, find a set of Record or SR compacts. Not performance-related, strictly aesthetics.

The problem is that Campy compacts are a bit hard to find sometimes...and they don't come bigger than 175.