PDA

View Full Version : eBay Sellers - I really hate them sometimes

dbnm
04-24-2018, 05:00 PM
I do my best to package things a little "over the top".

Well this takes the cake. I just can't believe this idiot.
Yes, these are tires. Yes, this is the entire "package".

Grrrr.

:mad:

cadence90
04-24-2018, 05:03 PM
Cake? That takes the entire bakery!

Unbelievable.

Not just eBay, though. I had an active and known PL member send me a Fizik Arione once not in a box, but rather just in a folded-over, taped-up scrap piece of cardboard. Besides being very surprising and unprofessional, the entire gesture felt particularly rude and cheap to the point of ridiculousness.

Fishbike
04-24-2018, 05:09 PM
Check 'em out for nicks or gashes. Sigh. . .

eBAUMANN
04-24-2018, 05:43 PM
Ha! Amazing.

Even more annoying: the 0 feedback accounts that buy something and never pay for it...

azrider
04-24-2018, 05:51 PM
HA.....I had the below interaction with an Ebay Seller just the other day.........

WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN ????? :confused::confused:

zzy
04-24-2018, 05:53 PM
So leave -ve feedback. Ebay even has DSR to rate shipping specifically. I do hate often often people ship bike bits in soft flat envelope tho.

Bentley
04-24-2018, 06:09 PM
About this time last year I purchased a Colnago frameset from an EBay seller. It was a good deal. I paid and it arrived about 10 days later. The packaging was the frame sandwiched between 2 pieces of cardboard and a little bit of bubble wrap around the exposed areas. I tried to return it without opening but was forced to verify there was damage, which there was. Anyway the guy charger me more than highlights for the "professional packing".

Let's just say it takes all types

Ray

COYO1
04-24-2018, 06:10 PM
That means buyer beware, stoned seller at the keyboard!

HA.....I had the below interaction with an Ebay Seller just the other day.........

WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN ????? :confused::confused:

a4a
04-24-2018, 08:54 PM
Always buy the seller not the product. And even that comes back to bite you sometimes.

unterhausen
04-24-2018, 09:50 PM
I sold a vintage (chromed stamped sheet metal) Campagnolo bb cable sling to someone in Italy that wanted me to put it in a paper envelope. Nope nope nope. I was tempted to ask him if he wanted me to flatten it with a hammer first so that the post office didn't have to do it.

Guy never paid. I was a little surprised that he couldn't get one cheaper locally.

R3awak3n
04-25-2018, 05:20 AM
About this time last year I purchased a Colnago frameset from an EBay seller. It was a good deal. I paid and it arrived about 10 days later. The packaging was the frame sandwiched between 2 pieces of cardboard and a little bit of bubble wrap around the exposed areas. I tried to return it without opening but was forced to verify there was damage, which there was. Anyway the guy charger me more than highlights for the "professional packing".

Let's just say it takes all types

Ray

I had thos happen with wheels. Just sandwiched 2 wheels btw 2 pievwa of cardboard. No damaged though, I dont know how it was possible.

macaroon
04-25-2018, 05:35 AM
If the item arrived as described, and undamaged, then I'm not really sure what the problem is?

stackie
04-25-2018, 08:17 AM
Sad thing is he probably could have paid less using the USPS padded flat rate envelope. That’s the deal in usps shipping these days. I’ve shipped several things that would have been 5-6 dollars more going parcel select.

But you’re right that is disrespectful.

I’d leave that in feedback. Or if you want to really a pain the ass, open a claim saying that the tires are dirty. :butt:

Jon

Lewis Moon
04-25-2018, 08:38 AM
Always buy the seller not the product. And even that comes back to bite you sometimes.

As Blacky Ranchette would say..."Sage Advice".
Way too many eBay sellers are "pickers" driving dilapidated pick 'em ups around to yard sales on early Saturday mornings, paying bottom dollar for anything they think they might be able to turn a buck on. They often know absolutely NOTHING about the items they are selling.
Another thing that bugs me is when , in a desperate attempt to save tinybucks, they source a horribly cheesy box, use the label to hold the flaps together and send it via unmonitored sloth instead of using the ABSOLUTELY FREE Priority Mail box and sending it 2-day with tracking for about a buck more.

colker
04-25-2018, 09:21 AM
I read the title and thought Peter Sellers was alive on ebay.

Lewis Moon
04-25-2018, 09:34 AM
I read the title and thought Peter Sellers was alive on ebay.

He is:
https://pmcdeadline2.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/being-there.jpg

thunderworks
04-25-2018, 09:42 AM
Coincidentally last Sunday, I just watched Being There again. Many movies don't hold up well over time. Modern production values skew our perceptions, but I thought Being There was still quite good.

ikecycke
04-25-2018, 03:25 PM
I bought a CX frame on eBay last fall, the seller had good feedback. It did come packed in a frame box, but the padding...2 tires randomly thrown in.

gemship
04-25-2018, 06:01 PM
If the item arrived as described, and undamaged, then I'm not really sure what the problem is?

Yeah I kinda thought the same thing but what do I know. Unless I'm missing something, details...we're talking about tires...right?

tbike4
04-25-2018, 06:24 PM
Coincidentally last Sunday, I just watched Being There again. Many movies don't hold up well over time. Modern production values skew our perceptions, but I thought Being There was still quite good.

I understand...

DjTristal
04-25-2018, 10:25 PM
Wow! What a piece of ish that guy is!

Fivethumbs
04-26-2018, 12:29 AM
Maybe he is trying to lower his overhead and pass the savings on to the customer.

bobswire
04-26-2018, 07:53 AM
I didn't think USPS would accept tires like that, great idea, after all they are going to be ridden on the street and in dirt. :banana: Though I wouldn't expect Compass to send them out like that. :)

unterhausen
04-26-2018, 08:45 AM
A tire inside of a tyvek envelope should be fine. I don't think tires need too much protection, but being shipped like that is asking for trouble.

jemdet
04-26-2018, 08:51 AM
I've had plenty of tires shipped in priority mail envelopes without issues. I'd be annoyed if an item that I purchased was hanging out of the packaging.

Clean39T
04-26-2018, 09:05 AM
I’m just getting tired of used bikes in general. Had a frame arrive from eBay this week with corrosion bubbles under the paint around the bottle braze-ons and what looks like a hairline crack in the DT.

It was cheap and was going to be a low-budget bike for travel and training, but that stuff wasn’t disclosed and is more than just a little annoying, so now I yet again have to wait through the eBay dispute process.

Nice seller so far - we’ll see.

You get what you pay for I guess.

Should probably just wait for a Road Logic Breakaway to pop up on here...

UPDATE :: seller has been very responsive and we worked out a solution - I'm paying him $100 for the CK headset and Campy BB cups, he's refunding me the entire purchase/shipping, and I'm donating the frame to our local non-profit bike co-op - and sending him the donation receipt for his tax purposes...

There are good people on eBay and everywhere else in the world. Let's not let the few b@$t@rd$ grind us down...

unterhausen
04-26-2018, 10:05 AM
I don't buy a lot on ebay, but bike parts are one thing that I almost never buy there unless it's from a shop.

Ebay bike part condition translator:
New == used
New other == well used
Used == my friends refused to ride with me until I got this replaced.

Bentley
04-26-2018, 10:13 AM
Yeah I kinda thought the same thing but what do I know. Unless I'm missing something, details...we're talking about tires...right?

I am not getting it. When you buy something, even on EBay, and you pay for shipping (either directly or indirectly) there is an expectation that the item is packed to prevent in shipment damage. My feelings, and I believe of the OP, is that it should be carefully packed (as a minimum, completely enclosed) so that the likely hood of damage from handling is reduced.

As I noted, I got a high end bicycle frame sandwiched between 2 pieces of cardboard, I spent about 14 days resolving the issue with EBay to return a frame that was damaged (not really visible, but the rear triangle was out of alignment). Dealing with returns are a hassle and I believe you have a "right" to expect that items are appropriately packed.

Just for reference, you have seen videos of package handlers throwing items around, a nick in the bead or sidewall likely might not be obvious and may impact the useability of the tire over the long run.

Obviously if you think this is ok, that is your opinion, but seems wrong to call out the OP.

Best

Ray

Mzilliox
04-26-2018, 10:47 AM
and here i was mad that some jerks are trying to get 425 for a used paul smith kask, when you an buy them brand new direct from paul smith for 325.

Michael Maddox
04-26-2018, 11:19 AM
I pride myself on my packing, so I don't understand some people's reluctance to spend a little time and money making certain their merchandise arrives and that the buyer is happy.

I see much of the same problem in my other hobby, music. In particular, heavy, expensive items such as synthesizers and keyboards sometimes arrive hastily tossed into a box with half-a-load of packing peanuts. I spend HOURS picking the bits out of the keys, assuming the instrument has arrived in usable condition at all.

Even flight cases BUILT for the instruments aren't good for shipping. I recently received a 70-pound keyboard that was tossed in an old flight case with well-crushed padding. Needless to say, now I have an old broken keyboard with keys broken off in the middle...and they're almost unsourceable to replace them.

Some people.

C40_guy
04-26-2018, 11:29 AM
I see much of the same problem in my other hobby, music. In particular, heavy, expensive items such as synthesizers and keyboards sometimes arrive hastily tossed into a box with half-a-load of packing peanuts.

No kidding...I once received a decent sized subwoofer that had been shipped in a cardboard box. Just the subwoofer...no padding whatsoever. It was a little worse for the wear...

And I received a set of alloy car wheels/tires that had been shipped with no packing. When I ship a wheel/tire I cover both sides of the wheel with cardboard to prevent scratching in transit. This shipper didn't do that...but he did go to great lengths to ensure that the label would never come off the wheel...several years on I'm still picking clear packing tape off those wheels...

macaroon
04-26-2018, 12:09 PM
I am not getting it. When you buy something, even on EBay, and you pay for shipping (either directly or indirectly) there is an expectation that the item is packed to prevent in shipment damage. My feelings, and I believe of the OP, is that it should be carefully packed (as a minimum, completely enclosed) so that the likely hood of damage from handling is reduced.

As I noted, I got a high end bicycle frame sandwiched between 2 pieces of cardboard, I spent about 14 days resolving the issue with EBay to return a frame that was damaged (not really visible, but the rear triangle was out of alignment). Dealing with returns are a hassle and I believe you have a "right" to expect that items are appropriately packed.

Just for reference, you have seen videos of package handlers throwing items around, a nick in the bead or sidewall likely might not be obvious and may impact the useability of the tire over the long run.

Obviously if you think this is ok, that is your opinion, but seems wrong to call out the OP.

Best

Ray

Well yeh, but if the item arrives undamaged anyway, then is it really worth getting stressed about a lack of packaging?

R3awak3n
04-26-2018, 12:23 PM
Well yeh, but if the item arrives undamaged anyway, then is it really worth getting stressed about a lack of packaging?

no one is stressed about it, people are just describing their situations. And it is ridiculous that he thought it was ok to ship anything like that, regardless of how it arrived.

cadence90
04-26-2018, 12:56 PM

Tell you two what:

I have some items listed here in the classifieds.
Buy any one of those items from me, at 10% off for either of you.
I will then ship the items to you, but packaged in a manner very similar to what the op has described.
Do not get offended if I write, "I really don't give a ****" under your address; after all, I'm just being an honest seller.
Upon receipt of the package, please post your changed tune here.
Thanks very much.

R3awak3n
04-26-2018, 01:38 PM
Tell you two what:

I have some items listed here in the classifieds.
Buy any one of those items from me, at 10% off for either of you.
I will then ship the items to you, but packaged in a manner very similar to what the op has described.
Do not get offended if I write, "I really don't give a ****" under your address; after all, I'm just being an honest seller.
Upon receipt of the package, please post your changed tune here.
Thanks very much.

thank you for this :hello:

noonan1970
04-26-2018, 02:05 PM
Cake? That takes the entire bakery!

Unbelievable.

Not just eBay, though. I had an active and known PL member send me a Fizik Arione once not in a box, but rather just in a folded-over, taped-up scrap piece of cardboard. Besides being very surprising and unprofessional, the entire gesture felt particularly rude and cheap to the point of ridiculousness.

Probably me! I've done something similar to this but always in a very sturdy/tough cardboard.

cadence90
04-26-2018, 03:52 PM
Probably me! I've done something similar to this but always in a very sturdy/tough cardboard.

Definitely not you, in my case.

But, since you have warned us all now, if I ever do buy from you rest assured that I will be putting that "sturdy/tough cardboard" through my "sturdy/tough wringer".

:D

AJosiahK
04-27-2018, 08:22 AM
thats incredible

and yes, seller feedback % carries plenty of weight.

even if they have 100%, read those reviews