PDA

View Full Version : OT: Graduation presents

Tickdoc
04-24-2018, 12:40 PM
Got a son graduating high school here next month and I need to get him something for his achievement.

Curious what some of you have done in the past to mark the occasion?

(and don't say a car, he's got one ;)

My first thought was a watch but his generation doesn't wear them. No bikes either. That would be a fun one, but sadly he has no interest there.

Spaghetti Legs
04-24-2018, 12:48 PM
My son is graduating as well. My wife had a local artist paint a picture of our dog for him to take to school and I'm going to put together a picture book of his basketball photos from kindergarten through high school. On the more practical side will get him a Mac or MacBook for use in college.

MattTuck
04-24-2018, 12:50 PM
A hearty pat on the back?

zmudshark
04-24-2018, 12:50 PM
I'm not trying to be offensive, but since when is graduating high school considered an achievement? I have a nephew who is graduating next month and I asked his mother (my sister) the same question.

That being said, get him a job!

Tickdoc
04-24-2018, 12:51 PM
My son is graduating as well. My wife had a local artist paint a picture of our dog for him to take to school and I'm going to put together a picture book of his basketball photos from kindergarten through high school. On the more practical side will get him a Mac or MacBook for use in college.

Ooh that's a good one. There are typically generous school discounts for them....I wonder how hard to prove it's for school prior to enrollment?

thank you.

Tickdoc
04-24-2018, 12:52 PM
I'm not trying to be offensive, but since when is graduating high school considered an achievement? I have a nephew who is graduating next month and I asked his mother (my sister) the same question.

It's not much, these days, more of a tradition. Going to college will be more of an achievement for him.

CDollarsign
04-24-2018, 12:54 PM
One of my best friends got a Rolex Explorer II for graduating high school. He still wears it every day. I would prefer something like that which will last forever. Maybe a nice pen?

Tickdoc
04-24-2018, 12:57 PM
A submariner was my first thought, but he is super down to earth and I don't think he'd wear it.

Dirtdiggler
04-24-2018, 12:57 PM
A gift of college or military.

AngryScientist
04-24-2018, 12:58 PM
plane tics to go see something interesting before he starts school next year?

AngryScientist
04-24-2018, 12:59 PM
A submariner was my first thought, but he is super down to earth and I don't think he'd wear it.

i think an $8k watch for a kid just out of HS is a bit overboard honestly.

Mzilliox
04-24-2018, 01:01 PM
Nothing at all. People are supposed to graduate from HS. Now he can apply to college, nice gift. Not everyone gets that.

the achievement is the gift. a Job to be proud of. leave it at that.

But not a watch, who wears watches anymore with clocks on our phones?

johnniecakes
04-24-2018, 01:11 PM
I got my son a Ruger Hunter MKIII in Stainless with the fluted barrel. Since then we have spent many hours together preparing to save the world from a invasion of empty cans, eggs, water balloons, expired fruit etc...

MaraudingWalrus
04-24-2018, 01:26 PM
My grandparents gave me a Tag Formula1. I wear it essentially every day unless I'm wrenching at the shop, where I'll wear my Timex Weekender (which I weirdly love). I thought it was weird to be given a medium expensive watch for finishing high school at the time, but now seven years later (I feel old saying that) I appreciate it. It's a nice watch that I wear near daily, and wasn't something I would spend that kind of money on at the time, and probably still won't for many years. I make sure I am wearing it every time I see my grandparents - I'll keep it in my drawer somewhere at the shop, or in the car if I'm going to see them for dinner or something after a day at the shop.

I think they gave my sister a watch also, but I can't remember what it was.

My parents gave me a macbook, which I just refurbished with a new battery, a pile o ram, and a new SSD. Still going strong.

Either of those would be totally reasonable, and likely appreciated on some level down the line. The watch likely more lasting, but the watch only makes sense if they're going to wear it - I've worn a watch near daily since like third grade, so it made sense.

oldpotatoe
04-24-2018, 01:35 PM
Got a son graduating high school here next month and I need to get him something for his achievement.

My first thought was a watch but his generation doesn't wear them. No bikes either. That would be a fun one, but sadly he has no interest there.

iPad

MattTuck
04-24-2018, 01:56 PM
I'd honestly stay away from a nice watch, probably until college graduation. There is no need for it at school, and there is a high chance he'll lose it or have it stolen, when there are so many people around, and perhaps alcohol.

I have no idea who your son is, or what he likes. If he is starting college in the fall or not, etc. Life lessons and real life experience are probably very useful as he embarks on the next part of his life. Father/son road trip? bankroll a solo road trip for him to see part of the country on his own this summer, has he been outside the US?

Tickdoc
04-24-2018, 02:04 PM
plane tics to go see something interesting before he starts school next year?

My mother beat me to it and is taking him salmon fishing in Alaska this summer.

Tickdoc
04-24-2018, 02:06 PM
I got my son a Ruger Hunter MKIII in Stainless with the fluted barrel. Since then we have spent many hours together preparing to save the world from a invasion of empty cans, eggs, water balloons, expired fruit etc...

He would like that best of all. He got a ruger .308 for his 16th, and already has a nice shotgun so he is pretty good there.

gdw
04-24-2018, 02:11 PM
A litre of bourbon, a couple grams of coke, and a hooker.

bthornt
04-24-2018, 02:22 PM
In my opinion, graduating from high school doesn't warrant much more than a handshake and congratulations.

jtakeda
04-24-2018, 02:23 PM
A nice dinner?

cadence90
04-24-2018, 02:58 PM

Well, since he already has the car...then, clearly, the set of steak knives, which he can then use on...

a nice dinner?

Red Tornado
04-24-2018, 03:18 PM
We got the first two kids the following when they graduated HS:
- Dinner out with the fam, any place you want, no limit on spending.
- New laptop, brand of their choice, within a specified price range, for college.
- Kid #3 graduates in a month, will do the same.

And this fall we'll have 3 kids in college simultaneously. Yikes!

rwsaunders
04-24-2018, 03:21 PM
Perhaps ask your son what he might like for a gift, as our oldest kid asked for a city bike, as her college town was small, flat and bike friendly and the campus really became quite navigable with a bike as her means of transportation. That bike is still kicking it 6 years (grad school now) later around the UW campus.

Our middle kid asked for a Mac desktop to serve as his homework, music and video hub. He used the Mac every day primarily for coursework, web surfing, music and for FaceTime. Gaming takes place on an Xbox connected to a TV monitor. The Mac is also off to grad school in the Fall with him for the next four years. We have our youngest kid headed off to school in the Fall and I'm waiting for the request.

Regarding graduation from high school, hats off to your son, as it's one thing to graduate, but to graduate with a purpose still requires effort, focus and hard work.

veggieburger
04-24-2018, 03:26 PM
How's about his first piece of real art? My parents got me a framed original etching one year (not for HS graduation) that I now really appreciate.

d_douglas
04-24-2018, 03:28 PM
yeah, I don't get trashing kids for graduating. To a 17yr old, its a big accomplishment. Lots of encouragement and a gift is perfectly OK for me. Sure, they need to move on with undergrad and grad school, jobs and grown up life, but belittling a kid for meeting one of life's first big accomplishments seems unnecessary.

I have two tinies, and I plan to get them modest gifts to celebrate (in a decade).

The trip to Alaska sounds amazing!

54ny77
04-24-2018, 03:33 PM
clearly you haven't met some of my family!

(no joke, it was an achievement to finish. and they arrived at it via taking the ged.)

I'm not trying to be offensive, but since when is graduating high school considered an achievement?

fignon's barber
04-24-2018, 03:38 PM
yeah, I don't get trashing kids for graduating. To a 17yr old, its a big accomplishment. Lots of encouragement and a gift is perfectly OK for me. Sure, they need to move on with undergrad and grad school, jobs and grown up life, but belittling a kid for meeting one of life's first big accomplishments seems unnecessary.

THIS. I don't really understand all the hate on this thread.

54ny77
04-24-2018, 03:45 PM
it's grumpy old men season, that's why. you know, guys who walked uphill both ways to grade school (in wicked belgium winters), wore wool cycling shorts up until last year, had to rub in chamois cream (on a real chamois) every night on their wool cycling shorts, and are pissed about all the money blown early on with that killer vhs collection.

don't even get 'em started on sram e-tap.....

:banana:

THIS. I don't really understand all the hate on this thread.

Spaghetti Legs
04-24-2018, 03:54 PM

Kind of a big deal when your child moves out forever.

Polyglot
04-24-2018, 04:20 PM
In both of my daughters' senior year, I offered them a trip to any place they wanted (within reason) accompanied only by mom and dad. Just remember that this is very likely the last time you will easily be able to travel with them and still have them listen to you. My elder daughter wanted to go to Russia, we went to Saint Petersburg with a stop-over in Brussels. My younger one decided on Costa Rica. It was a great experience for them as well as for us and both still bring the trip up.

Ken Robb
04-24-2018, 04:20 PM
Nothing at all. People are supposed to graduate from HS. Now he can apply to college, nice gift. Not everyone gets that.

the achievement is the gift. a Job to be proud of. leave it at that.

But not a watch, who wears watches anymore with clocks on our phones?

People who want to check the time surreptitiously while in a boring meeting. :)

OtayBW
04-24-2018, 04:50 PM
...who wears watches anymore with clocks on our phones?Oh, I don't know - I'm pretty comfotable with my watch....

Frankwurst
04-24-2018, 05:45 PM
Ours got a party and tuition paid for 4 years to the school of their choice. :beer:

Birddog
04-24-2018, 06:21 PM
When I graduated I received a spiffy Smith Corona portable electric typewriter and a bottle of Avon mens cologne (awful stuff). Alas, kids today barely know what a typewriter is. Get him some tickets to Bonnaroo or maybe Rocklahoma.
https://www.billboard.com/files/styles/900_wide/public/media/11-Ed-Helms-Bonnaroo-2017-bb15-beat-billboard-1548.jpg

schwa86
04-24-2018, 06:22 PM
Maybe not quite the same, but my son is graduating from college this year. I'm buying him a pair of Limmer boots. I figure he's surrounded by enough tech in his daily life and my aspiration for him is that he is occasionally surrounded by mountains.

Louis
04-24-2018, 06:58 PM
Has he traveled much overseas?

If not, I'd say a two-week trip to someplace completely different from what he's used to. Broaden his horizons a bit.

buddybikes
04-24-2018, 07:06 PM
Yikes, just reading the thread about parent that can't afford to live in house, and now rolex's and trips.

Now to be realistic, an investment after he researches the "ideal' company or fund.

Louis
04-24-2018, 07:12 PM
Yikes, just reading the thread about parent that can't afford to live in house, and now rolex's and trips.

Now to be realistic, an investment after he researches the "ideal' company or fund.

The Roth IRA can wait a while (assuming jr's had earned income)

(edit: but not too long - you want to get him started on that ASAP. Small investments now can make a huge difference 35 years from now)

chuckroast
04-24-2018, 07:31 PM
We took our twin sons on a cruise when they graduated in 2000. It was a fun trip for all and we all kind of acknowledged that it was our last real "family" vacation.

R3awak3n
04-24-2018, 07:52 PM
spend the money on experiences, a trip or an activity. Or at least buy him something that he can use in college, a nice digital cam or a laptop.

Louis
04-24-2018, 11:07 PM
I know, I know, how about a really cool tattoo! :cool:

Maybe something like the image below, that will truly impress both the gals and the guys he meets in college:

https://scontent-sea1-1.cdninstagram.com/vp/1bcc1ec2429915259256be692aa6599f/5B0C810F/t51.2885-15/s480x480/e15/12276776_191281544547834_980627195_n.jpg?ig_cache_ key=MTEyNzgzNDg4MDE4MTQ4MTY0MQ%3D%3D.2

CMiller
04-24-2018, 11:24 PM
He likely won't appreciate the watch as much as a great trip. My graduation gift was my parents paying for a trek to Machu Picchu, 4 days on the Inca Trail. I took care of plane and getting there, low income household and the thought of it was worth even more than the funds. It was a great experience and I'd recommend it x100, or find somewhere else that he would love as much. For some that's backpacking a few weeks in Europe, others its an African safari, others its a week in a Tokyo hotel. That $8000 watch money can go a LONG way for an 18 year old going on a trip of a lifetime.

yashcha
04-25-2018, 02:04 AM
Congratulations to you and your son! I did not receive a graduation present, but it would have meant a lot if my parents had thought of and bought me a small present.

I have a friend who is going through the same situation and we looked at a bunch of options:

1) A really nice made in the US back pack from Mission workshop, Topodesigns, North street bags, or ILE prodcuts.
2) A nice pair of handmade waterproof leather boots.
3) Custom Zanconato for yourself. J/K.

SlowPokePete
04-25-2018, 03:53 AM
My three all got MacBook laptops

SPP

PaMtbRider
04-25-2018, 04:42 AM
Do something special together with your son. That will mean a lot more down the road than anything material you can give him. It doesn't sound like your son is currently lacking or in need of any material possessions.

I was very fortunate that my father was also an avid cyclist. His 50th birthday coincided with my high school graduation. As a present for the both of us we spent 5 weeks together and cycled across the US.

35 years later this means much more to me than a car, watch, or anything else he could have given me.

weisan
04-25-2018, 04:58 AM
PaMtb pal gets it.

Nothing wrong with wanting to mark the occasion. Life is a journey filled with landmarks, milestones, era, phases. It's what we do as humans.

Meaningful things in life or at least those that make an impact takes a certain level of effort and intentionality.

I would write a letter as a father to a son. Things that I want to pass on, things that I want to say, thngs that need to be said.

Take him out individually for dinner or to a place of special meaning to you both and give that letter to him.

You said he's super down to earth. This should work.

giverdada
04-26-2018, 08:13 AM
first: congratulations to your son. whether or not it is perceived as an accomplishment, graduating from high school is still important. and i think it's great that you're marking it as an occasion. that was the last day i lived in my parents' house, so it's a pretty big deal from standpoints other than 'academic'.

second: as a 3/8 filipino guy who doesn't look anything other than irish (thanks ma), rice has been my favourite food for as long as i can remember. when i graduated, my parents bought me a rice cooker. i can't even tell you how important it has been in my life. that was almost 20 years ago, and it's still in daily use. helped me meet people in first year (you have a rice cooker? can we cook some rice?). helped me learn to cook for the love of my life, a gluten-free vegetarian beauty with an amazing mind and kind soul (i knew one vegetarian meal back then, and it was on rice). is essential to all those allen lim recipes for on the go bike food. and we're using it again tonight for buddha bowls for our whole family. 20 years of cooking rice, man! amazing!

third: i think useful gifts with longevity are best, mostly because they do serve as a reminder of the occasion and the step in Life, and also because if they are useful, they can be used often, and thus remind, often, of the importance of steps in Life, and growing up, and being loved, and putting in the work because work is good. (computers are useful, but soon not. the computer i started out my undergrad with died in third year and took all of my undergrad work with it. planned obselescence or not, this was a heartbreak and academic crisis.)

give'r. and happy graduation!

GregL
04-26-2018, 08:30 AM
When my daughter graduated high school last year, we got her a digital SLR camera and zoom telephoto lens. She's always enjoyed art and photography, so this was an easy choice. The camera will help her gather memories of the places life takes her.

Greg

tumbler
04-26-2018, 08:41 AM

Good points here. I like the idea of a trip or experience together, as long as it is for them as much as for you (ie. not dragging them along to your favorite destination). The suggestion of letting them choose a place is nice. Otherwise, something nice for one of their hobbies is generally appreciated.

As a point of reference, my parents took me to lunch at my hometown's interpretation of Benihana. I was pretty happy at the time ;)

HenryA
04-26-2018, 09:41 AM
My mother beat me to it and is taking him salmon fishing in Alaska this summer.

Should they need a companion for this expedition I will volunteer to accompany them, compensated only for my expenses incurred during the trip.

Let me know if they need my help.

Your old pal,
HenryA

Bradford
04-26-2018, 09:49 AM
My folks gave me some red Chuck Taylor high tops. I really loved those sneakers.

VTCaraco
04-26-2018, 10:23 AM
We were in your shoes last year.
We spoiled our son ~ an only child ~ so we were hard pressed to find something that felt celebratory and decadent that felt just-right to us.

We do home exchanges most summers, and told him that that trip and paying for College would be our gift to him ~ but I/we didn't feel like we celebrated the landmark as much as we should have.
I COMPLETELY agree that virtually EVERYONE graduates from high school at this point in time, but it's still a nice moment to celebrate.

I DID end up buying him a nice watch (a Stowa Antea) to celebrate the end of his first semester of College. We were incredibly proud of him for the transition that he made. He really matriculated with a lot of grace and balance.
He wasn't proud of his achievement for the fall semester, so has conceded that the watch feels unwarranted. That just makes me more proud of him and looking for more ways to honor his maturation.

Think about your son. Think about what would be impactful. Whether tangible or not, expensive or not, I would encourage you to find a way to thoroughly celebrate the moment. And I would also suggest that the celebration should be as much about you and his mom as it is about him.

Lurvey
04-26-2018, 10:28 AM
I graduated from my undergrad a year ago. My dad got his everyday-wearing 50s Zenith watch refurbished and gave it to me. Best gift I've ever gotten.

VTCaraco
04-26-2018, 10:34 AM
Per the watch and whether they'll lose it/use it/etc.

That was kind-of the point for me/us.
I bought him a nice Hamilton ~ second-hand through V-Salon, in fact ~ and I LOVE the way it taught him to appreciate nice things. It actually coaxed me to wear my automatic watch more and to stop treating it as a special-occasion-only item.
So consider that you're teaching and imparting principles and values as you give a gift ~ if that's the kind of person and relationship that you have.

As I mentioned, I love to spoil our son. I "upgraded" my wallet a few months ago when my puppy grabbed my Saddleback and gave it a few good chomps. When buying one (a Nisko (http://niskofabryka.com/products/)), I picked out one for him, too. Threw a $20 bill in it and drove to his school and took him out for breakfast and gave him the wallet. I heard from him at least once a week for the next month telling me how much he liked the wallet. And he continues to tell me how much he appreciates it.

I'm pretty sure I'm teaching him a value for handmade things and taking good care of things, etc.

msl819
04-26-2018, 05:42 PM

These threads on the forum fascinate me because they show how diverse a group we really are. That said, I graduated high school in 1994 and honestly 24 years ago HS graduation wasn’t much of an accomplishment. My oldest son is 9. My plan will be rather than celebrate an “accomplishment” that we both know isn’t that big of an accomplishment I plan to use it more as a milestone to call him into what lays ahead. I like the idea of something meaningful and a lifetime item that will allow me to call him up into something. I like the idea of using it as an opportunity to ceremoniously lay out what adulthood will be and from this point forward we expect him to be growing up into adulthood not hanging onto adolescence. A nice watch, fly rod, etc. would be something that hopefully he would hold onto for his lifetime and when he uses it, it would remind him of his call up and that his mother and I believe in him and that he has all that it take to be successful. 18 years old may not be as adult as it used to be but I want him to know which direction we expect him to be moving.

buddybikes
04-26-2018, 05:56 PM
what do i get my daughter who is finishing grad school in 2 weeks? Never thought of it until reading this thread. Oh well, she got through without loans...

bart998
04-26-2018, 06:00 PM
Ooh that's a good one. There are typically generous school discounts for them....I wonder how hard to prove it's for school prior to enrollment?

thank you.

I bet the college has an on-campus computer store... most do.

Mzilliox
04-26-2018, 07:58 PM
These threads on the forum fascinate me because they show how diverse a group we really are. That said, I graduated high school in 1994 and honestly 24 years ago HS graduation wasn’t much of an accomplishment. My oldest son is 9. My plan will be rather than celebrate an “accomplishment” that we both know isn’t that big of an accomplishment I plan to use it more as a milestone to call him into what lays ahead. I like the idea of something meaningful and a lifetime item that will allow me to call him up into something. I like the idea of using it as an opportunity to ceremoniously lay out what adulthood will be and from this point forward we expect him to be growing up into adulthood not hanging onto adolescence. A nice watch, fly rod, etc. would be something that hopefully he would hold onto for his lifetime and when he uses it, it would remind him of his call up and that his mother and I believe in him and that he has all that it take to be successful. 18 years old may not be as adult as it used to be but I want him to know which direction we expect him to be moving.

:banana: dig this idea and concept in general.

Plum Hill
04-26-2018, 11:40 PM
Has he traveled much overseas?

If not, I'd say a two-week trip to someplace completely different from what he's used to. Broaden his horizons a bit.

I whole heartedly agree with this idea.
Send him to Europe for the summer. Better yet, help him get a job pushing the snack cart on SBB (Swiss Federal Railways) trains. He’ll make a few bucks, engage people of various nationalities, and broaden his view of the world.

I’ve always thought making an 18 year old decide what he wanted to do with the rest of his life was a bit much to ask. Something like the above or Peace Corps-type involvement would do much to expand his intellect and see the world.

mjb266
04-26-2018, 11:47 PM
A big internal frame backpack with maps of the John Muir Trail, the CDt, the PCT, the AT and a variety of international equivalents inside.

mjb266
04-26-2018, 11:49 PM
Oh yeah. Toss in some books that are age appropriate. Anything by Edward Abbey, Russian classics, Buddhist/Muslim/Taoist texts. Expand their world by 10-20 fold.

Louis
04-27-2018, 12:13 AM
I still can't believe that the OP didn't go for my tattoo idea...

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/db/bc/30/dbbc306117a7ff51dfc0bb6a3cf0d783--trendy-tattoos-random-tattoos.jpg

oldpotatoe
04-27-2018, 06:50 AM

BACK to the initial post...Doc, is he going right to college or something else? Like couple years 'off', or not a pure academic path?

rwsaunders
04-27-2018, 07:52 AM
Adding to the comments, we have one graduating from college next Saturday...off to graduate school in the Fall. One graduating from graduate school in four weeks...off to the working world, and one graduating from high school in five weeks...off to college in the Fall. I can't keep track of the graduation gifts but I can sure keep track of the tuition payments.

echappist
04-27-2018, 09:57 AM
(and don't say a car, he's got one
Well, since he already has the car...then, clearly, the set of steak knives, which he can then use on...

a nice dinner?

c'mon, no one else got the reference? Another clever one by @cadence90

echappist
04-27-2018, 10:00 AM
what do i get my daughter who is finishing grad school in 2 weeks? Never thought of it until reading this thread. Oh well, she got through without loans...

Roth IRA account, deposit for an apartment, something of that nature

93legendti
04-27-2018, 12:39 PM
c'mon, no one else got the reference? Another clever one by @cadence90

a - always

b - be

c - closing

echappist
04-27-2018, 12:41 PM
Always be cycling, as well :)

I was too dumb to notice that c could also stand for cycling

Tickdoc
04-27-2018, 01:29 PM
BACK to the initial post...Doc, is he going right to college or something else? Like couple years 'off', or not a pure academic path?

Great comments and suggestion so far guys, keep em coming.

After much deliberation I’ve decided to follow through on the hookers and cocaine suggestion. Sounds like a great father son tradition. I’ll do some research on it and report back.:eek:

No, but the trips have me thinking that our best times together are spent hunting, so maybe a hunting trip would be appropriate.

To answer your question, Peter, straight off to state school for a traditional four years of undergrad. Already declared his major and only considered one school. I tried to get him to look elsewhere but he has had his heart set on going there for a long time.

He is not the guy I expected him to be, but so much better in so many ways. Sure, High school graduation is not much of an accomplishment these days but it is a milestone of sorts and definitely marks a chapter in ones life.

rwsaunders
04-27-2018, 02:00 PM
For those saying that high school graduation is not that big of a deal, here are some stats to digest. Depending on where you live and your background, there are some pretty big swings. On average, the high school graduation rate in the US is only 84%.

https://nces.ed.gov/programs/coe/indicator_coi.asp

https://nces.ed.gov/ccd/tables/ACGR_RE_and_characteristics_2015-16.asp

cinco
04-27-2018, 02:34 PM
We upgraded our son's hand-me-down cell phone for a big do-it-all I-Phone. It just fit in with his need at the time, too. We can keep in touch with him more too, since he keeps it pointed straight at his face full time.

Andy in Houston

Birddog
04-27-2018, 05:13 PM
Great comments and suggestion so far guys, keep em coming.

After much deliberation I’ve decided to follow through on the hookers and cocaine suggestion. Sounds like a great father son tradition. I’ll do some research on it and report back.:eek:

No, but the trips have me thinking that our best times together are spent hunting, so maybe a hunting trip would be appropriate.

To answer your question, Peter, straight off to state school for a traditional four years of undergrad. Already declared his major and only considered one school. I tried to get him to look elsewhere but he has had his heart set on going there for a long time.

He is not the guy I expected him to be, but so much better in so many ways. Sure, High school graduation is not much of an accomplishment these days but it is a milestone of sorts and definitely marks a chapter in ones life.

Orange or Red?

54ny77
04-27-2018, 05:22 PM
Something to do with time--a trip together, for example.

Objects, while they can be nice, are just objects.

Buddy of mine just did that with his son who graduated, they went exploring for a week or so. It'll be something special he'll remember for his lifetime, cherished memories.

Tickdoc
04-27-2018, 06:01 PM
Orange or Red?

Orange.

Birddog
04-27-2018, 07:05 PM
Orange.

Good choice!

Tommasini53
04-27-2018, 08:30 PM

I bought my nephews G.C.'s at Timbuk2 so they could put together a custom backpack or messenger bag...great products and they last really well.

likebikes
04-27-2018, 08:54 PM
my parents got me neither a highschool or college graduation gift.

josephr
04-29-2018, 08:08 AM
my parents got me neither a highschool or college graduation gift.

same....I was 5th of 5 so by the time I got thru high school, no one was too excited for me to meet expectations.....a few months later my oldest brother later bought me a Seiko. They had a nice party for me when I graduated college, got the requisite Cross pen/pencil set. :rolleyes:

Next Thursday my oldest daughter graduates with her Master's and we've had dinners/party, but she's not too into stuff anyway, so there's that. I've got a second child who is graduating high school and starts college this fall. Things have been tight financially and they're both understanding/appreciative of what its taken to get them this far. :cool:

Hope this isn't being taken as judgemental of those who have or made great suggestions....I would very much like to get both of my kids something nice, but dinner at a nice restaurant with all their family around is pretty freakin' awesome in the big picture of things. Congratulations to all the Dads and Moms who've gotten their kids thru these educational milestones!

cadence90
04-29-2018, 02:28 PM
Gifts, no gifts, that's all personal.

But the photos of child and parents embracing at these events...those will definitely last forever.

semdoug
04-29-2018, 03:36 PM
AAA membership

B^2
05-07-2018, 09:31 AM
if you can gift some kind of experience your child is much more likely to remember that then a physical gift like a pen or a watch, but that's just my take.