PDA

View Full Version : Aero Bar Education Needed

tmanley
10-16-2006, 09:58 AM
I've searched around and haven't found what I'm looking for, so I figured people here could help educate me on the topic of aero bars.

I did my first TT yesterday and came in a respectible 9th for the effort. I used my road bike that's been good to me on crits and road races, but when compared to those TT bikes, it looked like a slow ride. I'm not looking to lay down a ton of dough, but I figure the single best improvement I could make (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) would be to get some clip-on aero bars.

I know absolutely nothing about what to look for with aero bars. Fit, bar shapes, extention length, etc...these are all things I should probably learn a bit about. The only caveat is that I have carbon handlebars (Reynolds), but luckily for me they're clip-on compatible and I have a 38" sleeve length, so I'll probably need some longer-type extensions on the aero bars.

-Thanks, Todd

mscott
10-16-2006, 04:28 PM
As an old beat up triathlete, I would recommend going on nytro.com and checking out what they have. For someone smaller using a standard road bike the common clip on is a Profile Jammer, but with your reach ???

ergott
10-16-2006, 04:43 PM
google John Cobb and the slam position. This is a position that works on a standard road bike. It involves using shorter clip-ons. I don't know too much about position, but it looks interesting to me. John Cobb seems to know his stuff and there are other on this site that can comment in more depth.