PDA

View Full Version : 10 days baby..the finest grand tour of the year!!

oldpotatoe
04-24-2018, 07:27 AM
http://www.giroditalia.it/eng/big-start-2018/

clyde the point
04-24-2018, 07:48 AM
OOOOOHHHHHHH I can't wait for Lancey-poo's podcast; will he wear a yarmulke?

bigbill
04-24-2018, 07:51 AM
The Giro is my favorite, it's like a concentrated TdF with better scenery. In 2007, I flew from Rome to Sardinia with the riders and then got to watch the TTT in LaMaddelena. I had a prime spot on the biggest climb so I had a great view.

clyde the point
04-24-2018, 08:04 AM
I seriously wonder how the whole Sky debacle ends. And what new talents will show up and claim prizes! It is my favorite tour also.

oldpotatoe
04-24-2018, 08:20 AM
I seriously wonder how the whole Sky debacle ends. And what new talents will show up and claim prizes! It is my favorite tour also.

Froomie on start list...:eek:

bicycletricycle
04-24-2018, 08:55 AM
anyone know the best place/way to watch?

MattTuck
04-24-2018, 11:23 AM
I could do without this craziness of starting in Israel. Almost as stupid as starting in Ireland.

It is the Tour of ITALY.

Other than that, looking forward to it. :) Maybe it will give the mountain snow pack a few more days to melt.

I'm somewhat underwhelmed by 44 total kilometers of individual time trial.

Also, interesting to see that PCS has some provisional start lists up.

I'm sure these are still subject to change, but American Nate Brown is slated to get the team leader number for EF Drapac.

I really hope that we see a more wild race that makes it hard for Sky to do their usual approach.

cal_len1
04-24-2018, 11:26 AM
I'm sure these are still subject to change, but American Nate Brown is slated to get the team leader number for EF Drapac.

Isn't Mike Woods the lead for Drapac?

MattTuck
04-24-2018, 11:35 AM
Isn't Mike Woods the lead for Drapac?

I would have thought so. I'm just going off of what PCS has listed. Upon closer inspection, it appears that non-leaders are just listed in alphabetical order. He is first on the list, and also first alphabetically. So perhaps PCS does not have info on a team leader yet.

But it has a bunch of other team leaders noted, they are the only ones out of alphabetical order. Woods is at the bottom of the EF list, so quite possible they just haven't denoted it yet.

ERK55
04-24-2018, 11:51 AM
Man, transferring all the bodies and gear from Israel back to Italy must be some hassle. Looks like 1400 mi/3 hour flight.

cachagua
04-24-2018, 11:59 AM
I could do without this craziness of starting in Israel. Almost as stupid as starting in Ireland...

What in the WORLD for? Okay, for money, no doubt, same as the Olympics.

But I'm with you -- that de-legitimizes the name.

I move we call it The Giro d'Thither-And-Yon.

Ciavete
04-24-2018, 12:00 PM
anyone know the best place/way to watch?

Italy of course! :)

Other than that I've had good luck with NBC Sports Gold. Subscription based, but not too much $ if I remember.

Was lucky to catch stages last year in Sicily and Bormio. Those Italians... talk about celebrating a love for cycling. It was a blast.

rousseau
04-24-2018, 12:23 PM
Me piace tanto.

Mark McM
04-24-2018, 12:29 PM
Italy of course! :)

Other than that I've had good luck with NBC Sports Gold. Subscription based, but not too much $ if I remember.

NBC Sports (Gold) won't be carrying the Giro this year. The two services that will stream the Giro in the USA this year are FuboTv and FloBikes.

RonW87
04-24-2018, 12:36 PM
Can't wait to see the stages in Israel. That will be something!

jpritchet74
04-24-2018, 12:57 PM
The fact that they are giving Froome nearly 2 million Euros to do the race is a disgrace as far as I am concerned.

Other than that I am hugely excited for the Giro - definitely the race to watch this year!

Tony T
04-24-2018, 03:46 PM
NBC Sports (Gold) won't be carrying the Giro this year. The two services that will stream the Giro in the USA this year are FuboTv and FloBikes.

Thanks. FuboTv has an App for Roku

Tony T
04-24-2018, 05:10 PM
OOOOOHHHHHHH I can't wait for Lancey-poo's podcast

The organisers of the Giro d’Italia have told Cyclingnews that Lance Armstrong will not be an accredited guest or podcaster at the Grand Partenza in Israel due to his lifetime ban for doping, but took a neutral stance to the disgraced Texan’s past and his plans to be in Israel for the opening stages of the race.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lance-armstrong-can-only-watch-the-giro-ditalia-from-the-road-side/

MattTuck
04-25-2018, 08:28 AM
The fact that they are giving Froome nearly 2 million Euros to do the race is a disgrace as far as I am concerned.

Other than that I am hugely excited for the Giro - definitely the race to watch this year!

I did not know that. That is a disgrace.

Looking over the start list, it does not seem to be a very strong field for the GC. If I am counting right, there are only 4 riders with a Grand Tour win (Froome, Dumoulin, Chavez, and Aru), and a smattering of others with top 10 finishes. I sincerely hope it is not a snooze fest after the Mt. Etna stage.

jemdet
04-25-2018, 08:58 AM
I did not know that. That is a disgrace.

Looking over the start list, it does not seem to be a very strong field for the GC. If I am counting right, there are only 4 riders with a Grand Tour win (Froome, Dumoulin, Chavez, and Aru), and a smattering of others with top 10 finishes. I sincerely hope it is not a snooze fest after the Mt. Etna stage.

I'm feeling drowsy just thinking of 5 sky riders setting the pace up Etna... the helicopter whirring in the background... Carlton Kirby... mispronouncing...... zzz....zzz...

smontanaro
04-25-2018, 09:40 AM
I seriously wonder how the whole Sky debacle ends.

If Comcast has anything to say about it, I think it ends as the Comcast debacle. ;)

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/25/business/dealbook/comcast-sky-murdoch.html

(Same "Sky", correct?)

ERK55
05-01-2018, 02:29 PM
Man, transferring all the bodies and gear from Israel back to Italy must be some hassle. Looks like 1400 mi/3 hour flight.

I read this morning that the teams will be transferred to Israel via Boeing 747 cargo jet. 175 riders, 880 bicycles, 2,700 wheelsets, and gear. (Those numbers from memory, but I think correct). No team buses, they will remain in Italy. They will be provided vehicles while in Israel. They are taking a lot of wheels because fluids are prohibited-including lubricants, soaps, and tubular glue! Sounds like a logistical nightmare.

cadence90
05-01-2018, 03:02 PM
^
Plus, the noon-time temperatures will be reach 37C/98.6F or higher. :eek:

Nightmare indeed.

Just start/finish the damned thing in ITA, and give the stupid-money saved to poor up-and-coming racers and/or deserving, needy clubs. Jeezus.

72gmc
05-01-2018, 03:37 PM
give the stupid-money saved to poor up-and-coming racers and/or deserving, needy clubs[/COLOR]

"that's us!"

C. Froome, D. Brailsford

jtbadge
05-01-2018, 03:39 PM
A pile of the money has to be coming from the Israel tourism bureau, right? They've been running tons of ads over bike racing for the last couple of years.

cadence90
05-01-2018, 03:59 PM
"that's us!"

C. Froome, D. Brailsford
The "stupid-money" part...definitely.

A pile of the money has to be coming from the Israel tourism bureau, right? They've been running tons of ads over bike racing for the last couple of years.
I would be curious to know what amount, if any at all, these fancy remote departures (not adjacent countries such as BEL or LUX for the TdF) have contributed to the local economies, after all the expenses are subtracted.

Is it worth it?

I'm sure the ISR tourist business is relatively booming without any need for the Giro to promote it even more. How many general tourists even know/care/are influenced by what the Giro is? Or am I way off in thinking that?

C40_guy
05-01-2018, 04:10 PM
OOOOOHHHHHHH I can't wait for Lancey-poo's podcast; will he wear a yarmulke?

No, but I could picture Bob Roll wearing one. :)

MattTuck
05-02-2018, 12:06 PM
Just a bit of fun.

Last week, they were triggering avalanches before they cleared snow off the Stelvio Rd.

https://twitter.com/severeweatherEU/status/988140259182563335

edit: in case it was confusing, Stelvio is not in the race this year. I just posted it because it is sometimes included and would be interesting. Zoncolon stage will probably be a fun finish to watch.

daker13
05-02-2018, 05:17 PM
Is it worth it?

I'm sure the ISR tourist business is relatively booming without any need for the Giro to promote it even more. How many general tourists even know/care/are influenced by what the Giro is? Or am I way off in thinking that?

Israel's PR goals in this case go way beyond trying to drum up tourist dollars, but I suppose we should pretend there's not a political dimension to the Giro this year, for the sake of the board.

Anyone interested in the subject can easily find out more about the controversy by digging around a little bit. I myself won't be watching.

cadence90
05-02-2018, 06:24 PM
Israel's PR goals in this case go way beyond trying to drum up tourist dollars, but I suppose we should pretend there's not a political dimension to the Giro this year, for the sake of the board.

Anyone interested in the subject can easily find out more about the controversy by digging around a little bit. I myself won't be watching.
You're right, we shouldn't (dive into politics).

But I don't get why that guy is paying specifically Froome €2 million, in addition to the €10 he apparently is paying the Giro plus the velodrome, etc. What does the guy get out of that? Is there a Sky connection? Is that money guaranteed to Froome, regardless of finish? It seems that it shouldn't even be legal to "outside sponsor" a rider under investigation for doping. It stinks.

I really hope that the **** hits the fan in this case, and Froome/Sky just disappear. Naive and wishful thinking, I know.

jamesdak
05-02-2018, 07:21 PM
http://www.pbase.com/jhuddle/image/164109412.jpg

jlwdm
05-02-2018, 07:50 PM
You're right, we shouldn't (dive into politics).

But I don't get why that guy is paying specifically Froome €2 million, in addition to the €10 he apparently is paying the Giro plus the velodrome, etc. What does the guy get out of that? Is there a Sky connection? Is that money guaranteed to Froome, regardless of finish? It seems that it shouldn't even be legal to "outside sponsor" a rider under investigation for doping. It stinks.

I really hope that the **** hits the fan in this case, and Froome/Sky just disappear. Naive and wishful thinking, I know.

Europe is different than the US when it comes to appearance fees. PGA Tour does not allow appearance fees but the European Tour has always paid large appearance fees. Tiger used to get paid a lot more than the winners purse to play in European Tour events. Has no relation to where he finished.

That is how track athletes make a lot of money also.

Jeff

jlwdm
05-02-2018, 07:54 PM

A lot of people enjoy the Giro as it has some great climbs, but the strength of the teams is always way below the TDF.

Jeff

jlwdm
05-02-2018, 07:55 PM
What in the WORLD for? Okay, for money, no doubt, same as the Olympics.

But I'm with you -- that de-legitimizes the name.

I move we call it The Giro d'Thither-And-Yon.

The TDF starts outside of France every other year. Although the TDF is much more of a world wide event.

Jeff

Johnnysmooth
05-02-2018, 08:34 PM
The TDF has become such a snooze fest that I just do not get that excited about it anymore.

The Giro on the other hand has true passion, some pretty brutal stages and gutsy go for broke riding. Was in Italy to see some of the mtn stages in 2015. What those riders suffer through day after day is almost to the point of cruelty.

Johnnysmooth
05-02-2018, 08:37 PM
On another note, anyone have pricing info for flobike - not easily found on site

cadence90
05-02-2018, 09:57 PM
Europe is different than the US when it comes to appearance fees. PGA Tour does not allow appearance fees but the European Tour has always paid large appearance fees. Tiger used to get paid a lot more than the winners purse to play in European Tour events. Has no relation to where he finished.

That is how track athletes make a lot of money also.

Jeff
Yes, I know that, but the fellow purportedly paying Froome the €2 million has nothing to do with RCS Sport, afaik.

Can event non-owner/sponsors pay those appearance fees as well?

kj`
05-03-2018, 12:18 AM
A few days ago I thought that the giro had already started seeing some youtube videos hyping it up, but alas it was only the tour de romandie.

This year I plan to be properly hyped and watch a stage or 2 live or at least in there entirety, hoping for some great racing.

93legendti
05-03-2018, 07:58 AM
Tourism is a major contributor to Israel’s economy Last year, a record number of tourists visited Israel - 3.6million. That’s an astounding amount for a country of only 8 million. It was also a 25% increase over the year before.
Israelis love cycling.

It’s a great idea to start the Giro in Israel...as opposed to the Tour of Qatar.

oldpotatoe
05-03-2018, 08:33 AM
Thanks. FuboTv has an App for Roku

For Appletv too BUT $45 per year....for 2 weeks of giro(first week free)...so not sure.