PDA

View Full Version : Sinuses/Allergies/Cycling

benb
04-23-2018, 11:13 AM
Curious if anyone else has had experiences like this.

For most of my life I've never been allergic to anything. Nothing seasonal at all.

What I have noticed since I started cycling is there are certain times of the year where my nose runs like crazy when I'm riding. I'd have said it's a certain temperature range. Not the dead of winter, not the height of summer, but an in between area that hits in the spring & fall. I've mostly ignored it over the years, although sometimes I think it's bad enough if I was in a race or something it'd be messing it up. It was incredibly bad over this weekend, both rides. Yesterday would have been embarrassing if I was in a group.

The last 3-4 years I started getting sinus infections in the fall. Mostly November. The doctor thinks I'm slightly allergic to something. My sinuses get inflamed from the allergic reaction, it actually backs up to my ears and I get ear pain, which is what I went into the doctor over last fall. And this inflammation seems to make me vulnerable to getting an infection in November. (It has always happened in November.). Even though I've always had the runny nose cycling at certain times of year it seems like the inflammation it causes has gotten worse as I've gotten older? (I'm 40). It's like maybe before I'd get some inflammation while riding but it didn't last after I finished riding and now it can get bad enough that it sticks around?

Anyway they recommended I use Rhinocort... I decided to take it after I got back from riding so I'm going to give it a few weeks.

The thing is, the Pollen count is listed as "NONE" today here, so I'd have a hard time figuring out what the heck I'm supposedly allergic to.

It was also incredibly windy both days this weekend.. for some reason I feel like this gets worse as it gets more and more windy. It could be humidity related too I guess, the humidity is 17% right now here.

jtakeda
04-23-2018, 11:27 AM
Welcome to the club.

I have the same exact thing and I’m gonna give you a few tips that work for me...doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the same for you.

1. Rhinocort is great—it works—but use it sparingly. It is after all a steroid and your body will become resistant and at least for me led to nose bleeds.

2. When using rhinocort on windy days—double up with an allergy pill as well. A regular antihistamine does wonders.

3. Have a spoonful of LOCAL honey every morning. The theory as it goes is that bees pollinate the flowers/plants you are allergic to and thus provide trace amounts of the pollen. When you eat the honey your body because accustomed to it

4. Lastly drink extra extra water. Producing mucous and snot to protect yours body uses a lot of water. You can get dehydrated much faster when you have a runny nose.

5. The Neti-Pot is your friend. Use it and you’ll greatly reduce sinus infection

Hope any of this helps. I have prettt severe spring-fall allergies so while this might not cover your fall allergies—possibly a mold or dust allergy? It will help with spring.

Good luck!

buddybikes
04-23-2018, 12:16 PM
Dr prescribed nasal anti-histimine olopatadine - left at other house and want it so bad now...

Plus flovent/albuterol

Lewis Moon
04-23-2018, 12:21 PM
I remember telling a friend that I could tell if the allergy season was in full swing if I got wet ears on the descent from the towers on South Mountain.
Let your mind picture that.

chrismoustache
04-23-2018, 01:03 PM
I've been a victim of seasonal allergies for a while now. It is no fun at all. Interestingly, I find that while I'm exercising, symptoms aren't as noticeable.

I take Nasacort throughout the season and it definitely helps.

When it's at its worst, I seriously consider finding some hookworm...

benb
04-23-2018, 01:34 PM
I remember telling a friend that I could tell if the allergy season was in full swing if I got wet ears on the descent from the towers on South Mountain.
Let your mind picture that.

Not exactly sure what you're talking about but I could probably describe what happens to me as "wet ears". It's like I've got swimmer's ear but I haven't gone swimming. It makes me sensitive to loud noise like oh, going 20+ mph in a 20+ mph wind. It can be quite painful.

If you're talking about stuff dripping out of your ears.. that's something different.

It can also give me a headache.. but I can always breathe. I might have a very slight congestion but not really enough to notice. Not like a cold.

It is somewhat better today, so maybe the Rhinocort will help.

buddybikes
04-23-2018, 01:39 PM
Rhinocort, flonase etc (steroids) aren't for "acute" - they take a few days to work.

Perhaps for you things are different...

54ny77
04-23-2018, 01:49 PM
flonase and claritin are your friend.

i try not to take it often, but during high pollen season i'll go for taking it a week or two straight. and low season will take it for a couple days straight, depending on symptoms.

it helps.

brownhound
04-23-2018, 01:54 PM
The thing is, the Pollen count is listed as "NONE" today here, so I'd have a hard time figuring out what the heck I'm supposedly allergic to.

It's not that helpful to rely on a single factor. For example, it could be rainy which would knock down pollen, but cause mold to bloom. I notice the most problems in mid-winter when nothing is blooming but the forced air heaters are on and pumping out dusty, dry air.

I've had allergies since I was a little kid. A few years ago I started allergy shots. I'd say it was a 60% improvement in my life. I recommend it.

In addition, you'll learn to what you might be allergic, since they're injecting you with your allergens to get your body used to it. The doctor said I tested positive for all grasses, trees, weeds, and molds, as well as cats, horses and sheep.

thwart
04-23-2018, 02:13 PM
Rhinocort, flonase etc (steroids) aren't for "acute" - they take a few days to work.

Exactly. Used 'only on bad days', they are not very effective. Typically takes 3 days to build a response to nasal steroids... so can be helpful to use daily during your allergy season.

And yes, a neti pot is very useful for allergies (or other causes of nasal and sinus congestion).

Lewis Moon
04-23-2018, 02:19 PM
Not exactly sure what you're talking about but I could probably describe what happens to me as "wet ears". It's like I've got swimmer's ear but I haven't gone swimming. It makes me sensitive to loud noise like oh, going 20+ mph in a 20+ mph wind. It can be quite painful.

If you're talking about stuff dripping out of your ears.. that's something different.

It can also give me a headache.. but I can always breathe. I might have a very slight congestion but not really enough to notice. Not like a cold.

It is somewhat better today, so maybe the Rhinocort will help.

It means my nose runs so bad that, on a 40+mph descent, my ears fill up with snot.

Red Tornado
04-23-2018, 02:28 PM
Welcome to the club.

I have the same exact thing and I’m gonna give you a few tips that work for me...doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the same for you.

1. Rhinocort is great—it works—but use it sparingly. It is after all a steroid and your body will become resistant and at least for me led to nose bleeds.

2. When using rhinocort on windy days—double up with an allergy pill as well. A regular antihistamine does wonders.

3. Have a spoonful of LOCAL honey every morning. The theory as it goes is that bees pollinate the flowers/plants you are allergic to and thus provide trace amounts of the pollen. When you eat the honey your body because accustomed to it

4. Lastly drink extra extra water. Producing mucous and snot to protect yours body uses a lot of water. You can get dehydrated much faster when you have a runny nose.

5. The Neti-Pot is your friend. Use it and you’ll greatly reduce sinus infection

Hope any of this helps. I have prettt severe spring-fall allergies so while this might not cover your fall allergies—possibly a mold or dust allergy? It will help with spring.

Good luck!
All good suggestions & basically the same things I have done. For me swap Rhinocort for Flonase.
Used to get a fall allergy attack one day & blossomed into a full blown sinus infection in less than 24 hours. Only started after I moved from NE Indiana to central Texas. The Juniper is unbelievable down here.