PDA

View Full Version : Pondering the fork crown race

jimbolina
04-22-2018, 01:38 PM
It's a rainy day and it got me thinking about headsets for some darn reason...

I was seriously wondering why does it really matter if the headset crown race truly needs to have an interference-fit on the crown race fork seat.

Yes, I can easily imagine why it should not simply sit on that seat and possibly be able to be loose or readily spin, but why not just a very gentle (if that) hand-snug, press fit? Why is the precisely specified interference-fit actually critical to its proper function, as it is all nicely buttoned-up and captured when the entire headset is completely assembled? A true press-fit installation just doesn't seem absolutely necessary.

Your thoughts...

rccardr
04-22-2018, 02:10 PM
Not just the crown race, but the cups as well. Seems to me a slightly snug fit would work just as well as a tight press fit. On a quill stem at least, the top race nut and locking nut keep everything in tension.

dustyrider
04-22-2018, 02:13 PM
Not sure I fully get your ponderings, but the race is easier to replace than the fork, and you want the race/fork interface to be tight as a bull frog’s ass, so it doesn’t get full of road funk. No one wants to ride with the creaky-bike guy!

choke
04-22-2018, 02:23 PM
I had a FSA headset which had a split crown race.....just push it on with your fingers. It worked fine, I never had any problems with it.

aaronf
04-22-2018, 08:27 PM
I had a FSA headset which had a split crown race.....just push it on with your fingers. It worked fine, I never had any problems with it.

Something to consider in this scenario is that the cartridge bearing with its matching 36- or 45-degree interface effectively creates a constricting load on the race as the axial (headset preload) load increases. So the crown race should not really have anywhere to go in that set-up. It's just a guide for the bearing inner race.

I think the heavy-interference (press) fit was more beneficial for headsets that have actual ball bearings (whether loose or more likely in a retainer) interfacing with the crown race, not the inner race of a cartridge bearing.

One would definitely not want any movement from a crown (bearing) race in a loose ball or retainer-confined ball bearing arrangement so press-fit would be preferential.

In the case of a cartridge bearing that already has the inner bearing race built into the assembly, sure a mild interference fit for the crown race would suffice, so long as the the race wasn't turning on the fork which would potentially create un-addressable (is that even a real word?) wear.

Black Dog
04-22-2018, 08:36 PM
Something to consider in this scenario is that the cartridge bearing with its matching 36- or 45-degree interface effectively creates a constricting load on the race as the axial (headset preload) load increases. So the crown race should not really have anywhere to go in that set-up. It's just a guide for the bearing inner race.

I think the heavy-interference (press) fit was more beneficial for headsets that have actual ball bearings (whether loose or more likely in a retainer) interfacing with the crown race, not the inner race of a cartridge bearing.

One would definitely not want any movement from a crown (bearing) race in a loose ball or retainer-confined ball bearing arrangement so press-fit would be preferential.

In the case of a cartridge bearing that already has the inner bearing race built into the assembly, sure a mild interference fit for the crown race would suffice, so long as the the race wasn't turning on the fork which would potentially create un-addressable (is that even a real word?) wear.

There is your answer. Anything less than an interference fit could allow for some play in some forks considering that the crown diameter of each fork is slightly different. Any play would cause wear. Not as big issue for cartridge bearings as mentioned above if the race is split.

bicycletricycle
04-23-2018, 09:36 AM
If the race has any play it will ovalize and/or wear the steerer tube.. The split race works because the axial load from the top cap transmitted through the conical interface of the lower bearing and race compresses the race onto the forks bearing seat.

johnniecakes
04-23-2018, 11:29 AM
So would it be possible to have a CK or other crown race cut to facilitate easier installation and removal? I believe there are machine shops with sophisticated cutting technologies that might be able to split the race with minimal material removal. EDM or water jet?

Black Dog
04-23-2018, 11:36 AM
So would it be possible to have a CK or other crown race cut to facilitate easier installation and removal? I believe there are machine shops with sophisticated cutting technologies that might be able to split the race with minimal material removal. EDM or water jet?

Thin cutting disk on a dremmel.