PDA

View Full Version : OT: Cookies, Databases, and big brother

William
04-22-2018, 12:23 PM
I'm just curious how many of you try to manage the plethora of cookies and database files that various websites like to mass load onto your browser/computer? I personally don't like the feeling that someone is loading all this crap onto my computer in an attempt to gather my browsing habits and feed me ads based on info they gather. It may be for naught but I always try to dump this stuff every time I'm online. I'll open up the manage website tab in preferences (Safari) so I can see what is being dumped on to my computer as it happens. Sometimes you need them to stay logged in on certain sites but I dump them as soon as I'm done. A while back I started noticing database files when I would try to delete them with the other cookies but they would always just pop right back up. The database files took some detective work to find but I figured it out so now I can dump those as well.

Just me but I don't like the feeling that Goooogle brother is always looking over my shoulder (they are one of the most prolific with the DB files).

William

colbyh
04-22-2018, 12:49 PM
Truthfully? Deleting cookies isn't really doing anything for you. Assuming you use an adblocker and aren't willing to go without javascript enabled there's not much more that's worth doing in the realm of tracking. If you have ever had a Google/FB account they are tracking you and will almost always be able to triangulate your identity.

You can disable javascript in the browser and severely limit those companies' ability to track you, but your browsing is going to be way less enjoyable.

William
04-22-2018, 01:13 PM
Well, at least I don't have ads popping up for something I was looking at earlier in my browsing anymore so there is that. :banana:

William

MattTuck
04-22-2018, 01:16 PM
Run an install of Linux TAILS from a USB drive.

But seriously, I think some of the browsers (especially firefox) are going to get smarter about privacy, and using virtual machines. That is the hope anyway.

William
04-22-2018, 01:22 PM
Supposedly DuckDuckGo is one search engine that doesn't track you...

William

Mr. Squirrel
04-22-2018, 03:32 PM
dear mr. william...nuk nuk nuk!

mr. squirrel

Dude
04-22-2018, 04:06 PM
I don't do this, but I suppose you could use an incognito/private browser session everytime.

It's not going to be watertight, but it will save.you the steps of deleting everything each time as it dumps everything when you close the window.

paredown
04-22-2018, 04:54 PM
I've been blocking any and all third party trackers in Firefox for years--cookies for websites that you visit will remain, but most trackers will not--at least the stupid ad feeder trackers will not.

Also check the 'Do not track'--although the compliance for this is questionable...

Every so often I will 'Delete All' and start over logging into my usual websites, because I think some sites' own cookies act as trackers as well (suspicion not founded on any deep understanding).

I run the publicly available Hosts file as well--knocks out a large % of ads (except the Google ad feed)...

I generally use Duck Duck for search (although not as good as the Google IMO)--and do not sign into Google unless I need to. Anywhere I can, I just say no--no notifications, push feeds etc. My great disappointment is that the new implementation of HTML lets web sites push media content (sound and video) and I have not spent any time yet to figure out how to block it.

Interesting that you are in Apple land--I'm just getting back into that ecosystem, and do not have any suggestions, but I'll read anyone else's suggestions with interest.

jemoryl
04-22-2018, 05:32 PM
You might have a look at the Privacy Badger plug-in (from the EFF) for your browser. Seems to work well.

ultraman6970
04-22-2018, 08:32 PM
I have a blocker and that's the only thing that allows me to browse at descent speed and with no scripts crashing all the time. for example just in yahoo.com I get 43+ requests blocked... ebay is usually one or two but msn, yahoo and any other news and search engines are just massive the amount of websites that are requesting stuff... if you dont block the the browsing experience goes to hell at least for me. HOnestly if you wonder why some websites are going slow is just because of the tracking, is getting ridiculous lately.

oliver1850
04-22-2018, 09:32 PM
I have a blocker and that's the only thing that allows me to browse at descent speed and with no scripts crashing all the time. for example just in yahoo.com I get 43+ requests blocked... ebay is usually one or two but msn, yahoo and any other news and search engines are just massive the amount of websites that are requesting stuff... if you dont block the the browsing experience goes to hell at least for me. HOnestly if you wonder why some websites are going slow is just because of the tracking, is getting ridiculous lately.

Yahoo mail and hotmail have become almost impossible to use lately, especially with the MS browser. Both are better with firefox. Anything that will improve function with whatever internet explorer is now called?

ultraman6970
04-22-2018, 09:55 PM
"Ublock origin" + firefox is my kungfu.. you have to unblock the paceline website obviously :)

The funny thing is that ebay or paypal arent that bad, i do not get more than 3 things asking stuff but when you check them out is just local scripts moving around, Imagine ebay with the amount of stuff yahoo has moving around, nobody would be able to use the web site.

Drmojo
04-22-2018, 10:32 PM
Supposedly DuckDuckGo is one search engine that doesn't track you...

I never use Googly
never did FecesBook
always use a VPN
I have used Duck for a few years now
I mostly get pop up ads from companies I have bought from-Ornot, Vulpinie, Danny Shane
And I never rely on Wikipedia for anything
See the Snowden film, quite an eye opener
Be safe out there!

Williamnever use Googly or FecesBook

Rada
04-23-2018, 07:53 AM
You don't have to use Facebook to be tracked by Facebook. I'm assume Google can as well. If you are using Firefox add-ons Facebook Container and Google Analytics help some.