PDA

View Full Version : Mounted tires in the wrong direction...

a4a
04-22-2018, 12:02 PM
I just put on a new set of Gatorskins and when I mounted the front I realized I put it on in the wrong direction. The rear is correct. Should I bother remounting it?

David Kirk
04-22-2018, 12:05 PM
I'd say yes....if for no other reason that you'll be wondering all the time if you should.

Of if you have rim brakes flip the skewer in the front hub and then put the wheel in the other way.

dave

Cicli
04-22-2018, 12:16 PM
I'd say yes....if for no other reason that you'll be wondering all the time if you should.

Of if you have rim brakes flip the skewer in the front hub and then put the wheel in the other way.

dave

This except the wheel will then be backwards.

a4a
04-22-2018, 12:19 PM
My OCD is going to have me back in the garage remounting that tire... :crap:

Seramount
04-22-2018, 12:23 PM
Gators ride for crap...won't matter how they're mounted.

a4a
04-22-2018, 12:27 PM

Yeah but I ride on debris-strewn roads and I haven't flatted yet. Can't say that about the nice riding tires.

04-22-2018, 12:28 PM
Swing your right leg off the saddle. Turn around 180 degrees. Remount. Problem solved.

cachagua
04-22-2018, 01:42 PM
I'd say yes....if for no other reason that you'll be wondering all the time if you should...

Best and most important reason of all. Mental hygiene is vital to enjoying any ride, on any bike.

Of if you have rim brakes flip the skewer in the front hub and then put the wheel in the other way...

NOOoooOOOoooo!! Then the wheel will be backwards, which at LEAST as mentally unhygienic as the tire!

Peter P.
04-22-2018, 01:50 PM
While the rear tire is mounted correctly, the front tire mounted in the wrong direction; that means both wheels will only rotate in opposite directions, and you'll go nowhere.

Ken Robb
04-22-2018, 01:51 PM
I'm too ignorant to know that there is a right/wrong direction to mount wheels. Is that a joke like a left-handed monkey wrench?

OtayBW
04-22-2018, 01:52 PM
Sharpie a new directional indicator on tire. Done.

AngryScientist
04-22-2018, 01:53 PM
I'm too ignorant to know that there is a right/wrong direction to mount wheels. Is that a joke like a left-handed monkey wrench?

hub logos must be readable from the rear of the bike, right side up.

https://static.bike-components.de/cache/p/dm1/1/4/Campagnolo-Record-Rear-Hub-black-32-hole-14678-91103-1481258407.jpeg

cadence90
04-22-2018, 02:10 PM
I just put on a new set of Gatorskins and when I mounted the front I realized I put it on in the wrong direction. The rear is correct. Should I bother remounting it?

dave
Please listen to Mr. Kirk; he knows whereof he speaks.

http://i1360.photobucket.com/albums/r654/traghetter/Kirk_zps76mvcskg.jpg (http://s1360.photobucket.com/user/traghetter/media/Kirk_zps76mvcskg.jpg.html)

:)

oldpotatoe
04-22-2018, 05:05 PM

dave

But then the lacing pattern front to back won’t match!!:)
I’d leave it alone. Might make a difference for something that goes twice the posted speed limit but not for a bicycle.

SlowPokePete
04-22-2018, 05:16 PM
Those tires ride crummy regardless of direction.

Try some gravelKings...and I don't even think it matters which way they're mounted.

SPP

palincss
04-22-2018, 05:50 PM

If you have mounted a magnet for a computer on your wheels, there definitely is a right direction and a wrong direction (the magnet will be farther away from the sensor).

Even if you don't have a magnet mounted to your spokes, you still have the issue that any writing on the hub will be facing in the wrong direction if you simply flip the wheel and swap the QR skewer around. That probably won't bother graduates of the US Army Ordnance Center and School like us, but there are some who will be bothered a lot.

But since nobody has mentioned it so far, maybe it's time to note that road tire tread isn't directional, regardless of what it might say on the tire.

colker
04-22-2018, 05:52 PM
Now try mounting the clinchers inside out.

a4a
04-22-2018, 07:00 PM
Ok... I've flipped the wheel around reversing the skewer, mounted the tire inside out, whipped my leg in the other direction, peeled the hub stickers off and reversed them, and Sharpied a new rotational direction indicator... whew... sure glad I didn't just remount the tire in the correct direction. That would have been much too difficult! :banana:

Jeff N.
04-22-2018, 07:13 PM
Agreed. Might even ride better!

cadence90
04-22-2018, 07:13 PM
Now try mounting the clinchers inside out.
Brilliant! Dual-purpose all-in-one knobbies + slicks!

Ok... I've flipped the wheel around reversing the skewer, mounted the tire inside out, whipped my leg in the other direction, peeled the hub stickers off and reversed them, and Sharpied a new rotational direction indicator... whew... sure glad I didn't just remount the tire in the correct direction. That would have been much too difficult! :banana:
Useless without photos of the entire process/es. Please start at the very beginning and document thoroughly this time.

a4a
04-22-2018, 08:05 PM
brilliant! Dual-purpose all-in-one knobbies + slicks!

Useless without photos of the entire process/es. Please start at the very beginning and document thoroughly this time.

I'm on it!

auto_rock
04-22-2018, 08:15 PM
Aren't you supposed to mount the front wheel backwards for better traction during braking?

:banana:

Black Dog
04-22-2018, 08:31 PM
Aren't you supposed to mount the front wheel backwards for better traction during braking?

:banana:

But what about the treads removing water to prevent hydroplaning!!!!! :eek::eek:

Treads on a road tire serve no function beyond looks.

palincss
04-22-2018, 09:14 PM
Treads on a road tire serve no function beyond looks.

Jan Heine does not agree with you. https://janheine.wordpress.com/2018/02/22/myth-6-tread-patterns-dont-matter-on-the-road/

Black Dog
04-22-2018, 09:23 PM
Jan Heine does not agree with you. https://janheine.wordpress.com/2018/02/22/myth-6-tread-patterns-dont-matter-on-the-road/

Well he agrees that hydroplaning does not happen with bike tires. However, he has no "data", other than a very old newsletter that reported that Michelin engineers found increased traction with tread. I see his logic on very smooth surfaces but roads, even freshly paved roads do not have polished surfaces. Modern rubber compounds negate the need for treads. Jan is usually very concerned about providing data, especially data that he produces from his own research. I respect that a lot and would love for him to provide the same level of scrutiny on this matter.