PDA

View Full Version : Truing stand recommendations

ontarget
04-22-2018, 11:13 AM
I'm looking for some advice regarding a truing stand. I've been truing wheels in the frame, using zip ties or brake calibers as guides. It works, for sure, but it's awkward and uncomfortable. I'd prefer to have a truing stand.

A Park TS-2 would be great, but they're a bit pricey for how often I'd use it. That being said, if any of you have a used one to sell me for a fair price please shoot me a PM.

Other less expensive options include Park's TS-8, the Feedback Sports Pro Truing Stand, the Spin Doctor truing stand, and a few from Minoura. I'm sure there are others as well.

Any recommendations or advice regarding these truing stand options?

Thank you in advance.

MaraudingWalrus
04-22-2018, 11:36 AM
How crafty are you? You could buy a copy of Roger Musson's (https://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php) book for $12 which has diagram for building a fantastic truing stand.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180422/0ef38db0adaf8fb684f6d9da4641b730.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180422/3e93f9c8b94efdafd2c4773a3e46e815.jpg

Andy sti
04-22-2018, 11:42 AM
I have the feedback sports model. It's the odd one sided attachment but it works fine. Really easy to use with my thru-axle wheels too. I have adapters for both 12 and 15 mm.

Tony T
04-22-2018, 11:49 AM
How crafty are you? You could buy a copy of Roger Musson's (https://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php) book for $12 which has diagram for building a fantastic truing stand.

Excellent stand. Nice work!
Great book. Learned how to buy a wheel with help from The Paceline and that book.

I used the older Park home mechanic stand. I don't like the newer home mechanic model.

Bentley
04-22-2018, 12:14 PM
How about using a fork? Would be easy to make a mounting device out of wood and you can buy forms daily cheap

Ray

Peter P.
04-22-2018, 01:54 PM
"It's the stingy man that pays the most."

Save your pennies and just buy a TS-2.

And don't forget to buy a dishing tool; even the self-centering TS-2 needs one.

R3awak3n
04-22-2018, 02:11 PM
I agree, buy nice or buy twice.

Look on Craigs list, you can get TS2s for $100 sometimes.

Gummee
04-22-2018, 03:52 PM
TS-2s are great if all you're ever doing are road wheels. They fall flat when confronted with 29er wheels with tires on em. AMHIK

They make an arm extension for the rim as well as for the uprights. Have both for my TS-2.

Upside: easy to use. Reliable.

Downside: expensive unless you can find one used.

The buy once cry once option is at least the TS-2.2 'cause it does 29ers out of the box

Good luck!

M

Tony T
04-22-2018, 04:08 PM
"It's the stingy man that pays the most."

For building, yes, but overkill x2 to just true a (properly built) wheel (what the OP is looking for), that may be needed maybe once a year.

Yes, good suggestion, even if just truing, good to check the dish.

MaraudingWalrus
04-22-2018, 04:36 PM
For building, yes, but overkill x2 to just true a (properly built) wheel (what the OP is looking for), that may be needed maybe once a year.

Yes, good suggestion, even if just truing, good to check the dish.

Musson's book also has a diagram for making a dishing gauge, for what it's worth.

type2sam
04-22-2018, 06:09 PM
Built my own of my own design. Happy to share the Google Sketch diagram.

ontarget
04-22-2018, 06:48 PM
Some of those Roger Musson wooden stands look great. I'm handy, but access to the tools to do it right is not real convenient, so I'd rather go with a commercial product.

I've been monitoring Craig's List for a while now but no luck. If I can find one used locally that'd be great, but no telling when that'll be.

Gummee
04-22-2018, 07:29 PM
Some of those Roger Musson wooden stands look great. I'm handy, but access to the tools to do it right is not real convenient, so I'd rather go with a commercial product.

I've been monitoring Craig's List for a while now but no luck. If I can find one used locally that'd be great, but no telling when that'll be.

I built a bunch of wheels on a folding Minoura stand that isn't even straight. Used that stand for several decades before getting hold of a TS-2

Same kind of way I used a cheap PBS workstand till I bought a Feedback, then ran across a Park shop stand.

If you have to have it RIGHT NOW, you'll pay. If you can wait, you'll probably find something eventually

There's a few FB groups for wheel building and tools that you may want to keep an eye on.

M

pinkshogun
04-22-2018, 08:38 PM
I also have been using Minoura stands for years. simple and they work fine

unterhausen
04-23-2018, 06:20 PM

Really, just get a PK Lie and be done with it. Or at least a TS-4.

The self-centering of the Park stands is a joke. The centering tool doesn't actually work except on a wheel with the exact dimensions of the tool. However, flipping the wheel is almost as good as a dish tool.

I always wanted a TS-2, but they are pretty rare. I wouldn't mind a TS-3, but they go for big $ and aren't really worth it. I settled for a TS-2.2. It's not really that much money.

Gummee
04-23-2018, 06:40 PM
It's not really that much money.
$ over time? Bargain. These things don't break and I haven't seen one that's worn out yet.

I don't know how old mine is, but I suspect it was made in the 80s

If you ride lots of 29ers, well... it ain't the best tool for that. The new truing stands are definitely better.

There's a P&K Lie at the shop I'm working at now. Too fiddly for me. Recenter this every wheel. Re-do that every wheel. Nah. Give me fast and easy even if it isn't perfect.

M

unterhausen
04-23-2018, 09:04 PM
What's wrong with a 2.2 on 29'er wheels?

I wish you could get the PK Lie micrometers and put them on a better stand. I don't think that style of indicator is available otherwise.

oldpotatoe
04-24-2018, 07:11 AM
Really, just get a PK Lie and be done with it. Or at least a TS-4.

The self-centering of the Park stands is a joke. The centering tool doesn't actually work except on a wheel with the exact dimensions of the tool. However, flipping the wheel is almost as good as a dish tool.

I always wanted a TS-2, but they are pretty rare. I wouldn't mind a TS-3, but they go for big $ and aren't really worth it. I settled for a TS-2.2. It's not really that much money.

I had one, sent it back. The ease of truing and rounding with the TS-2 far better than the multi jointed thingys on the TS-3..I DID like that the arms moved in plane/parallel as opposed to angling in on TS-2. TS-2.2 is a great tool..loo around, they are out there...worth the $ for anybody that builds wheels.

oldpotatoe
04-24-2018, 07:13 AM
$ over time? Bargain. These things don't break and I haven't seen one that's worn out yet.

I don't know how old mine is, but I suspect it was made in the 80s

If you ride lots of 29ers, well... it ain't the best tool for that. The new truing stands are definitely better.

There's a P&K Lie at the shop I'm working at now. Too fiddly for me. Recenter this every wheel. Re-do that every wheel. Nah. Give me fast and easy even if it isn't perfect.

M

get this for your TS-2

https://www.parktool.com/product/caliper-upgrade-kit-for-ts-2-238k?category=Wheel%20Truing%20Stands

I messed with a P&K...too fiddly, I agree, same for TS-3

ontarget
04-24-2018, 08:04 AM
I had one, sent it back. The ease of truing and rounding with the TS-2 far better than the multi jointed thingys on the TS-3..I DID like that the arms moved in plane/parallel as opposed to angling in on TS-2. TS-2.2 is a great tool..loo around, they are out there...worth the $ for anybody that builds wheels.

Lol, but I pay you to build my wheels now. It's all the wheels not built by you that require a truing stand.

In all seriousness, I do have a bit of an itch to try building my own set. One of these days ...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

oldpotatoe
04-24-2018, 08:08 AM
Lol, but I pay you to build my wheels now. It's all the wheels not built by you that require a truing stand.

In all seriousness, I do have a bit of an itch to try building my own set. One of these days ...

How we all started...I built a set for myself at 'bike school', Colley Ave Bike Shop night class, in 1985..SR hubs laced to Mavic GP4...

Building wheels well isn't 'hard' but can difficult..even with new stuff, every one is a little different..when I sold the shop I mused, 'it would be great to just build wheels'...now I are one!!

:)

Gummee
04-24-2018, 08:43 AM
get this for your TS-2

https://www.parktool.com/product/caliper-upgrade-kit-for-ts-2-238k?category=Wheel%20Truing%20Stands

I messed with a P&K...too fiddly, I agree, same for TS-3

Have those. Also have the TA adaptors and the arm extensions. I dislike having to use them, but the price for my TS-2 was right, so I suffer thru it.

I don't have the new new TA adaptor that has the long axle and the cones. Now that I'm going TA on a bunch of bikes, I'll invest in one

For shop use: speed = money. Despite it's shortcomings, the TS series of stands is quick to use and more or less accurate depending on who holds the spoke wrench. They're ubiquitous for a reason.

M

Gummee
04-24-2018, 08:45 AM

Building wheels is the easy part. It's the truing and tensioning that the art comes into play.

Anyone can lace a wheel. They're like building with Legos

M