PDA

View Full Version : Seminars for cyclists?

MattTuck
04-21-2018, 04:32 PM
My mom is really into gardening and a few times a year she goes to a seminar to learn about gardening. Everything from new plants to new techniques, etc. Usually, these are done at a hotel, and you make a weekend out of it, with about 12 hours of content, 4 the first day, and 8 the second day.

Does anyone know if there is a similar concept related to cycling?

Black Dog
04-21-2018, 05:14 PM
My mom is really into gardening and a few times a year she goes to a seminar to learn about gardening. Everything from new plants to new techniques, etc. Usually, these are done at a hotel, and you make a weekend out of it, with about 12 hours of content, 4 the first day, and 8 the second day.

Does anyone know if there is a similar concept related to cycling?

Maybe for MTB or Triathlon. Those communities are very welcoming and supportive. Road cycling tends towards elitism and judgement, not the type culture that would put on a seminar/symposium.

OtayBW
04-21-2018, 06:24 PM
Maybe for MTB or Triathlon. Those communities are very welcoming and supportive. Road cycling tends towards elitism and judgement, not the type culture that would put on a seminar/symposium.
Well, HA-RUMPH! :)

GOTHBROOKS
04-21-2018, 06:34 PM
interbike dirt demo? keyesville?

cadence90
04-21-2018, 06:59 PM
I think my LBS offers various 60- or 90- minute seminar/lectures once or twice a month, on a weeknight after work.

But, 12 hours over two days stuck in a hotel conference room, over a weekend? Gawd, no, reminds me of the architectural exam! Everyone I know would much rather be out actually riding.

Plus, pansies, peonies, and petunias might mix (I have no idea) but Campagnolo, Shimano, SRAM...:no:

MattTuck
04-21-2018, 07:08 PM
I think my LBS offers various 60- or 90- minute seminar/lectures once or twice a month, on a weeknight after work.

But, 12 hours over two days stuck in a hotel conference room, over a weekend? Gawd, no, reminds me of the architectural exam! Everyone I know would much rather be out actually riding.

Plus, pansies, peonies, and petunias might mix (I have no idea) but Campagnolo, Shimano, SRAM...:no:

Yeah, I hear you. Maybe full day sessions would not work for cyclists. But I could see coming up with 8+ hours of programming related to endurance training, strength/flexibility training, equipment, areas to travel to ride, pro racing history and current events, history of bicycles, wrenching, etc.

Really, was just thinking it would be a real life version of the stuff found on this board. Host it in a place that has good riding, and people could ride in the morning, learn in the afternoon.

cadence90
04-21-2018, 09:50 PM
Yeah, I hear you. Maybe full day sessions would not work for cyclists. But I could see coming up with 8+ hours of programming related to endurance training, strength/flexibility training, equipment, areas to travel to ride, pro racing history and current events, history of bicycles, wrenching, etc.

Really, was just thinking it would be a real life version of the stuff found on this board. Host it in a place that has good riding, and people could ride in the morning, learn in the afternoon.

But internet boards are unstructured; people come in/out all day/night, conversations are very fluid, etc. I'm not sure how that would translate irl.

Perhaps as an adjunct to some already organized/known weekend or longer actual cycling tour? There, yes, you do have the captive audience. But, would people actually pay anything extra for that, over the Tuscan or Napa or French or Carolina roads, guides, tours, accommodations, food, drinks, etc?

I don't know, having never been on one of those things.

Caballero
04-21-2018, 10:13 PM
These are quite popular here in Japan and are held in most stores weekly.
I've never attended one nor have interest in doing so but many people do, usually beginners to the sport.

They are quite often on new products / maintenance / skills and technique along with a whole host of other things.

My buddy is a pro triathlete and running/ swimming/ cycling coach, he runs good work shops and seminars on fitness, nutrition etc.. To give performance in addition to his coaching.

rwsaunders
04-21-2018, 10:39 PM
Don't most of the Rapha stores offer something like you're talking about?

https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/events/calendar?country=uswestcoast&city=san_francisco&clubhouse=San%20Francisco&clubhouse-rides=hide&clubhouse-events=show&rcc-rides=hide&rcc-events=hide

Mark McM
04-23-2018, 10:49 AM
There are 'seminars' for road cycling, but they are less common then for MTB, and usually with a specific target. Also, these events are more commonly labeled 'clinics', or sometimes 'camps'. The most common types I've seen are "Effective Cycling" clinics (often put on by the LAB), and road racing camps (sometimes offered by local racing clubs).