PDA

View Full Version : Campangolo 10 speed FD for compact cranks question

jpritchet74
04-21-2018, 12:55 PM
So as many of you know I am making the upgrade from EPS to Record 10 speed. Back before the days of 11 speed I always ran a 53-39 crankset, but now I am running compact. Back in those early days of compact cranks Campagnolo offered 2 versions of their FD - a standard FD and a compact specific FD. Is there a performance difference?

On my only fully built 10 speed bike I have the standard one and it seems to shift fine. On the 2nd bike that's nearly built I have the compact specific FD. Since it's not built I have no idea if there is a shifting performance difference.

Both bikes have the QS shifters and FD's.

I ask the question because bike #3 will be built soon - I have all parts except for the FD - so I want to know which to go with. This will be a climbing bike and I am trying to save grams, but not at a sacrifice in shift quality.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

StephenCL
04-21-2018, 01:27 PM
Get the latest QS Record front derailleur and you will be fine. No need for the full metal jacket version.

Stephen

pdmtong
04-22-2018, 12:46 AM
For QS...

In 2007 there were tow FD and you had to spec either std or CT

In 2008 the one FD worked on either std or CT

oldpotatoe
04-22-2018, 06:17 AM
So as many of you know I am making the upgrade from EPS to Record 10 speed. Back before the days of 11 speed I always ran a 53-39 crankset, but now I am running compact. Back in those early days of compact cranks Campagnolo offered 2 versions of their FD - a standard FD and a compact specific FD. Is there a performance difference?

On my only fully built 10 speed bike I have the standard one and it seems to shift fine. On the 2nd bike that's nearly built I have the compact specific FD. Since it's not built I have no idea if there is a shifting performance difference.

Both bikes have the QS shifters and FD's.

I ask the question because bike #3 will be built soon - I have all parts except for the FD - so I want to know which to go with. This will be a climbing bike and I am trying to save grams, but not at a sacrifice in shift quality.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Compact existed before 'compact' front ders..use a standard front der, it'll be fine..no reason to have a compact specific front der. 'QS' or non, doesn't matter..use a double front der.

Ken Robb
04-22-2018, 10:03 AM
I had a regular double Campy front derailer that shifted a 50-34 crank perfectly.

jpritchet74
04-22-2018, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the responses!

Should I stick with a 10s FD or is there any reason to go with a newer 11s one to go with the 10s shifters? Maybe it works better?

oliver1850
04-22-2018, 01:25 PM
I would stick with 10 speed. The QS derailleurs are slightly different from the older ones. The arm that the cable mounts to is approximately 2 mm longer on the QS FDs. I believe the idea was to lighten up the feel a bit. I don't know if there's any difference in cable pull on the left Chorus/Record QS shifter. The 2007 catalog states "their left hand control mechanism has been slightly modified to increase the performance reference when interfaced with QS front derailleurs." Not sure what that really means but I'd expect using non-QS FDs to result in stiffer feel and probably quicker shifting than QS FDs.