PDA

View Full Version : Lance takes swipe at Vaughters

LegendRider
04-20-2018, 03:03 PM
In the most recent edition of his Stages podcast Lance was praising Lawson Craddock's ride at the Amstel Gold Race. In short, Craddock got in the early break that was away for most of the race and still finished in the top ten as the last surviving breakaway rider. it was Craddock's best result in a while.

Lance and Lawson are friends - both Texans - and ride together frequently. He talked about Craddock's disastrous 2017 season that - according to Lance - was largely caused by overtraining and too much intensity in the 2017 preseason. He pointed out that JV was his coach (and director) and now that Craddock is back with Jim Miller he's in much better form.

I may be reading too much into it, but I've noticed that Lance likes to get sly digs in toward his foes on the podcast. He certainly didn't have to reveal the name of the coach who nearly fried Craddock to the point he almost quit.

By the way, the example he gave was JV (allegedly) told Craddock to do four hard 75 minute "intervals" during a training ride. Lance said he just stayed on Craddock's wheel the entire ride.

sfscott
04-20-2018, 03:39 PM
You’re thinking too hard IMO

MattTuck
04-20-2018, 03:40 PM
Oh boy. Impressed that sideburns was able to put (and keep) a pro tour level team together for as long as he has. Other than that.... meh. If his coaching is as good as his tactical sense as a DS, no wonder they've been languishing.

quickfeet
04-20-2018, 03:41 PM
Those are the insights that make stages any good. The forward episode with Casey, Hincapie, and Vandevelde was amazing because of those same conversations. Truely getting inside the peloton.

fignon's barber
04-20-2018, 04:08 PM
Not a JV fan, although I do enjoy laughing at him when he tries to use that fake Belgian accent during interviews.

FlashUNC
04-20-2018, 04:22 PM
Lance has always been and will always been a vainglorious, self-important jerk.

So not shocked he takes digs at Vaughters for literally no reason.

texasbbq
04-20-2018, 04:30 PM
Lance has always been and will always been a vainglorious, self-important jerk.

So not shocked he takes digs at Vaughters for literally no reason.

I have to agree. I'm from Austin and raced locally in the '90's when Lance signed with Motorola and he'd come do our "Tuesday nighters" occasionally and was a complete jerk in my opinion. I used to tell my girlfriend (now wife) about how unbeleivably talented he was but acted like a spoiled, arrogant brat. Go figure.

jpritchet74
04-20-2018, 05:12 PM
Lance may be a Grade-A asshole, but the Stages podcast is amazing.

texasbbq
04-20-2018, 05:28 PM
Lance may be a Grade-A asshole, but the Stages podcast is amazing.

I'll have to catch it sometime, thanks for the hint.

54ny77
04-20-2018, 05:51 PM
For the European Paceline members, does the community over yonder harbor the kind of vitriol towards coaches, DS's, or even star riders who clearly doped or ran a doping program?

This forum is US-centric, so the observations, comments, etc. are a bit skewed.

sitzmark
04-20-2018, 06:01 PM
I get the sense that LA is just "unplugged" now and feels free to give his unvarnished opinion. Not that he didn't before, but now it's more genuine 'cause he knows no one with influence/management responsibility in professional cycling gives a crap about what he thinks. He seems to be at peace with that.

Frankwurst
04-20-2018, 06:45 PM
Who is this Lance of which you speak? Sounds like an as$hat.:beer:

a4a
04-20-2018, 09:12 PM
Lance goes after EVERYBODY. Such a tool. I'm so tired of him. And, no, I'm not a JV fan. I'm just sick of LA.

peanutgallery
04-20-2018, 09:35 PM
-7 is feeling a little chippy this week, he just saved $93,000,000

campy man
04-20-2018, 10:00 PM
-7 is feeling a little chippy this week, he just saved $93,000,000

Thanks, I needed a good laugh :hello::hello::hello:

benb
04-21-2018, 07:45 AM
Having read Phil Gaimons book a couple months ago I believe Lance.

Vaughters plays all kinds of stupid games with his riders and demands power #s and huge workouts that are not timed at the right time of the season and such. It seemed to be about something dumb like “hit this # now or I won’t put you in the race”. Then if the rider hit the # they’d be over trained/exhausted and perform poorly in the race.

You read the stuff and Vaughters just sounds awful. Constantly messing with his riders to make them feel insecure. He seems more concerned about how he can marginalize riders who aren’t instantly dominant to free up money to buy up other riders for the next season than interested in maximizing the success of his current team.

Tony T
04-21-2018, 10:07 AM
So the LA Settlement Thread is CLOSED, and this one probably soon, so rather than starting a new thread, I'd like to post an update on Landis for anyone who cares (not many, I'm sure):

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/sd-sp-floyd-landis-settlement-lance-armstrong-20180420-story.html

So, looks like in addition to what Lance is paying Floyd's lawyers, Floyd still owes a chuck of the settlement to his lawyer (~33%),
so Landis really gets $0

rwsaunders
04-21-2018, 10:51 AM
Riding for Vaughters, Vinokourov, Riis or any of the DS's that have a doping past would be like a young accountant being managed and mentored by a CPA who did time for tax evasion or embezzlement. I just don't get it.

livingminimal
04-21-2018, 11:22 AM
I mean, he might be right? Vaughters loves to talk about how's coached Sep and stuff...whole lotta results out of cergarcanEF