PDA

View Full Version : Happy New Sleep Day

ptourkin
04-20-2018, 11:44 AM
This is all you need. I have a contact high at my desk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZv1R1VPRsw

https://twitter.com/sleep_official/status/850060273461350400

doomridesout
04-20-2018, 12:58 PM
Sleep were a huge part of my youth (see my username), a legendary band I'd never get to see live or release another album. Part of me is sad they're breaking the mystique, another part of me is happy to crank up the new album and blow out my eardrums. Probably the latter, because this new record is awesome. Crazy to see this genre and this band go from such a tiny niche to where it is now.

GOTHBROOKS
04-20-2018, 01:09 PM
“to what it is now” you mean a tshirt band?

ptourkin
04-20-2018, 01:10 PM
Sleep were a huge part of my youth (see my username), a legendary band I'd never get to see live or release another album. Part of me is sad they're breaking the mystique, another part of me is happy to crank up the new album and blow out my eardrums. Probably the latter, because this new record is awesome. Crazy to see this genre and this band go from such a tiny niche to where it is now.

I told my friend that if you programmed artificial intelligence to record a Sleep album, this is what would come out. I have no complaint with that. It's been on repeat all morning.

RC.
04-20-2018, 01:29 PM

Friday trolling. Love it.

daker13
04-20-2018, 02:24 PM

They tour, they recorded a new album, they're a real band. I saw High on Fire in 2016 and it was a solid, solid performance so I'm guessing Sleep is also pretty good live. (I do own a Sleep t shirt, though.)

Any other reports on the new record?

ptourkin
04-20-2018, 02:32 PM
They tour, they recorded a new album, they're a real band. I saw High on Fire in 2016 and it was a solid, solid performance so I'm guessing Sleep is also pretty good live. (I do own a Sleep t shirt, though.)

Any other reports on the new record?

Don't you get your stoner/doom news from NPR? https://www.npr.org/sections/allsongs/2018/04/20/604103239/of-course-sleep-released-its-new-album-the-sciences-on-the-stoner-holiday

redir
04-20-2018, 03:43 PM
Cool. Never heard of this band before. Got an old Sabbath vibe to it.

doomridesout
04-21-2018, 12:36 AM
I mean every Father John Misty dude with a big beard and coiffed hair and expensive looking boots and an opinion about beer is like "Oh yeah I love stoner rock." Not really a crazy thing considering it's good and reasonably accessible loud music, but it's different than it felt maybe 12 years ago. I was late to the first party. I think Sleep was legit known to about 2000 people before internet musicologists and Harmony Korine found out, which is basically when I found out about them.

I remember early on in liking this music there was a controversy alleging "The Sword is hipster metal" and then I stopped caring either way.When I listen to Coffins, Autopsy, and Vastum I know it's not going to get popular. I'm just amazed at the number of people who seem to get hip to stoner rock every year like they're the first people on earth to discover it

Is it focus-group stoner metal? Maybe. Oh well, here's an album that is pretty pitch-perfect by people who've been making this type of music for almost thirty years. I'm glad we're living in the age of mechanical reproduction and I can forget the aura and listen to some heavy tunes for free at 44k on Spotify.

Also, none of this is a knock on OP, thank you for posting this, I'm glad to have this thread to anchor a heavy metal tangent.

zetroc
04-21-2018, 10:27 AM
The new album is pretty killer. I have tickets to see them in a few months in SF and it's going to rule.

zzy
04-21-2018, 12:38 PM
I mean every Father John Misty dude with a big beard and coiffed hair and expensive looking boots and an opinion about beer is like "Oh yeah I love stoner rock."

Ouch. I probably don't want to hear your opinions about Mastodon either..

doomridesout
04-21-2018, 02:02 PM
No offense to you if you're that guy. I recognize the utter inanity of trying to police the boundaries of heavy metal. I just happen to prefer the music intended for socially marginal tradesmen with mood disorders who wear Realtree when I'm playing in this space.

daker13
04-21-2018, 02:06 PM
I mean every Father John Misty dude with a big beard and coiffed hair and expensive looking boots and an opinion about beer is like "Oh yeah I love stoner rock." Not really a crazy thing considering it's good and reasonably accessible loud music, but it's different than it felt maybe 12 years ago. I was late to the first party. I think Sleep was legit known to about 2000 people before internet musicologists and Harmony Korine found out, which is basically when I found out about them.

I bought my first High on fire record around 10 years ago and the clerk at the record store spent a lot of time explaining to me that he didn't think they were as corporate and mainstream as everyone else did. (Sleep is probably more accessible than High on Fire, I guess.)

zzy
04-21-2018, 02:27 PM
No offense to you if you're that guy. I recognize the utter inanity of trying to police the boundaries of heavy metal. I just happen to prefer the music intended for socially marginal tradesmen with mood disorders who wear Realtree when I'm playing in this space.

I was listening to the newly leaked FJM album as I read that, so yeah.

The Sciences is a really great album so far - anything that can combined Dune with weed so well gets a plus1 from me.

GOTHBROOKS
04-21-2018, 05:02 PM
“mood disorders who wear realtree” you mean obituary?

doomridesout
04-21-2018, 05:08 PM
I was referencing an Obituary hat I have sitting on a shelf right now, as a matter of fact.