PDA

View Full Version : Mavic Open Pro tubular

oldpotatoe
04-20-2018, 08:29 AM
Saw this adverted and mentioned and wondering if anybody knows if it differs from the 'Reflex' tubular and how it builds/rides. LOOKS a lot like the Reflex.

Another example of not getting wet in retail no mo'..

NOTE, kinda surprised Mavic is still making a tubular rim..

colker
04-20-2018, 08:31 AM
I am interested as well. Thought about a set of wheels w/ those.

GregL
04-20-2018, 08:45 AM
I believe it's just a re-labeled Reflex - hopefully with a thicker spoke bed.

Greg

oldpotatoe
04-20-2018, 08:56 AM
I believe it's just a re-labeled Reflex - hopefully with a thicker spoke bed.

Greg

No kidding, at least they make a silver, NON hard anodized one..too bad tho..not a real fan of Reflex..

StephenCL
04-20-2018, 08:57 AM
It looks wider and flater to me....maybe just the angle...

Stephen

Gummee
04-20-2018, 09:19 AM
I've got several of each generation. Look the same to me

I still have one pair of one version or another in the wrapping if someone needs em. 32h hard ano

M

ergott
04-20-2018, 09:23 AM
Looks like it's just a rebrand of the same extrusion to me, but I hope I'm wrong.

merckx
04-20-2018, 09:44 AM
The advertised weight says that it is re-labeled Reflex. If a thicker spoke bed was developed, it would weigh more. I would embrace this rim 100% if the weight was 450 grams.

04-20-2018, 09:47 AM
I just laced up a pair of them for a friend. He bought them, not me. The extrusion is very clean so I'm assuming it's a new extrusion die. They weighed 22 gm and 24 gm over the stated weight. Unfortunately they didn't lace up well at all -- they pull out easily, they don't like to tension evenly, and still basically lace up like an Open Pro open or a Reflex tubular. There are better rims out there.

oldpotatoe
04-20-2018, 10:36 AM
I just laced up a pair of them for a friend. He bought them, not me. The extrusion is very clean so I'm assuming it's a new extrusion die. They weighed 22 gm and 24 gm over the stated weight. Unfortunately they didn't lace up well at all -- they pull out easily, they don't like to tension evenly, and still basically lace up like an Open Pro open or a Reflex tubular. There are better rims out there.

Thanks...still happy to not build with mavic..:)

colker
04-20-2018, 12:04 PM
Thanks...still happy to not build with mavic..:)

What would be your choice for an aluminum road tubular wheelset? Assume the rider is 175lbs.:beer:

ergott
04-20-2018, 12:08 PM
Hed Belgium tubular

colker
04-20-2018, 12:11 PM
Hed Belgium tubular

Thanks.:)

merckx
04-20-2018, 01:20 PM

385 grams is absurdly light for an alloy tubular rim unless it is built with a 36 hole 120mm 5V Nuovo Record hub.

Mark McM
04-20-2018, 01:25 PM
What's 'open' about the Open Pro tubular rim?

I guess after they started calling clincher tires 'open tubulars', the industry decided that 'open' could mean anything they wanted it to.

oldpotatoe
04-20-2018, 01:45 PM
What would be your choice for an aluminum road tubular wheelset? Assume the rider is 175lbs.:beer:

Find a NOS Fir, Campag, older Mavic or Nemesis or HED. Some others from Kinlin.

04-20-2018, 01:46 PM
Hed Belgium tubular

My vote too.

Gummee
04-21-2018, 10:12 AM

There's a pair of King/Nemesis wheels in the classifieds...

Personally? I haven't had problems w the Mavic rims I've built. OPs, Reflexes, OP tubulars, all the way back to O4CDs and Mach2 Ceramics.

These days if you don't want Mavics? Major Toms, HEDs, then Nemeises

M

04-21-2018, 11:42 AM
My only problem with vintage tubular rims, including the Nemesis, is that the sidewalls are fairly shallow. Part of how modern brakes have improved their stopping power has been by making their brake blocks taller so there's more surface contacting the rim. The problem is that if your braking surface on the rim isn't taller as well, your brake blocks either start rubbing inside the rim, off the braking surface, or they start abrading the sidewall of the tire, or both. In these instances I've had to go to brake blocks with shallower profiles which then decreases braking ability.