PDA

View Full Version : Zanc's Ti welding

DRZRM
04-19-2018, 12:10 PM
Mike just posted this to his FaceBook. Not terribly surprising, but his welds are looking awfully smooth. Nice to have more TI options as of this summer. #titanato #zanconato

https://scontent.fagc2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/30727744_1896999756999358_398454926482604032_n.jpg ?_nc_cat=0&oh=1b5255fc3e24123484b296f4682892ae&oe=5B73067C

Clean39T
04-19-2018, 12:16 PM
Saw that too and was equally impressed - but Mike's queue is already quite long - offering more models is only going to increase the stampede - maybe he's looking into cloning?

Nothing wrong with having too much business though - and couldn't happen to a nicer, more deserving guy...

GregL
04-19-2018, 12:33 PM
WOW! I've lusted after his steel and Al bikes for years. Now Ti too. I won't be able to hold out much longer...

Greg

chiasticon
04-19-2018, 12:55 PM
so friggin' good. no surprise.

might have to jump on one of these...

madsciencenow
04-19-2018, 01:04 PM
Saw that too and was equally impressed - but Mike's queue is already quite long - offering more models is only going to increase the stampede - maybe he's looking into cloning?

Nothing wrong with having too much business though - and couldn't happen to a nicer, more deserving guy...

+1 on nicer more deserving guy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tculbreath
04-19-2018, 01:15 PM
Beautiful!! I think one of my favorite elements of his rides are his logo. Excited to see how this gets integrated into the Ti.

TC

cachagua
04-19-2018, 01:44 PM
"Titanato", i like that.

I should be reaching the top of his to-do list in time for Xmas this year. Now I'm wondering if I have to re-think what I was going to get him to do.

oldpotatoe
04-19-2018, 02:19 PM
Really nice and NOT saying the welds and frame aren’t top notch but a look at the welds right after the welder turns off the equipment is more important. I’ve seen beautiful welds surrounded by a veritable rainbow of colors...that says maybe the tubes were overheated or some O2 contamination. NOT saying anything about Zanc but pretty Ti welds are like 20% of the equation.

StephenCL
04-19-2018, 04:05 PM
whooooohoooo!!!!

titanato lives!

more excited than a schoolboy on Prom night!

Can't wait Mike!

GonaSovereign
04-19-2018, 11:16 PM
Really nice and NOT saying the welds and frame aren’t top notch but a look at the welds right after the welder turns off the equipment is more important. I’ve seen beautiful welds surrounded by a veritable rainbow of colors...that says maybe the tubes were overheated or some O2 contamination. NOT saying anything about Zanc but pretty Ti welds are like 20% of the equation.

Here's the pre photo.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bhw-buChCg-/?taken-by=mzank

Peter B
04-19-2018, 11:30 PM
Looking good!

oldpotatoe
04-20-2018, 07:12 AM
Here's the pre photo.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bhw-buChCg-/?taken-by=mzank

Excellent..as I mentioned, not a comment on Zanc.

A different manufacturer...

Mikej
04-20-2018, 07:14 AM
Boy, a guy cant even have a side project without the paceline peanut gallery.

ergott
04-20-2018, 07:21 AM
I've followed Zank from his early days. His attention to detail and knowledge base is incredible. Doesn't hurt that he's a super cool/nice guy to chat/deal with. Seeing him branch out into Al and Ti has been a pleasure!

https://photos.smugmug.com/Cycling/The-bikes/i-KXLMN9T/0/b567d4d4/X2/_MG_0647-X2.jpg

merckx
04-20-2018, 07:22 AM
From god's hands.

Would be super cool to have a ti Zank not unlike one of these machines, including a steel fork with proper rake would be sublime.

oldpotatoe
04-20-2018, 07:28 AM
From god's hands.

Would be super cool to have a ti Zank not unlike one of these machines, including a steel fork with proper rake would be sublime.

These were the first DeRosa ti frames, yes? I had one in the shop and 'pretty welds' wasn't part of it's 'charm'..since this is about welds..The ZANC is beautiful, and a tremendous ride, I am sure..this isn't about Zanc but about 'pretty' welds and how that can translate to a great frame.

ergott
04-20-2018, 07:31 AM
I wouldn't say this thread is about pretty welds. That's trivial. His craftsmanship and welding skills go far beyond pretty. He's shared his learning process with each material over the years and the best of the business have all been impressed with his torch skills. He's gifted and he works hard. That's what the thread is about.

oldpotatoe
04-20-2018, 07:33 AM
I wouldn't say this thread is about pretty welds. That's trivial. His craftsmanship and welding skills go far beyond pretty. He's shared his learning process with each material over the years and the best of the business have all been impressed with his torch skills. He's gifted and he works hard. That's what the thread is about.

Mike just posted this to his FaceBook. Not terribly surprising, but his welds are looking awfully smooth.

Yup, they do and he is very skilled..

StephenCL
04-20-2018, 07:42 AM
From god's hands.

I just ordered this print from Graham Watson on Canvas....40x60 for my bike room...

too funny...

The Genius forks are still out there and could easily be used, but I think Mike is thinking 1 1/8.

There is nothing as sublime as a ti frame with a steel fork...ask me how I know...

charliedid
04-20-2018, 07:45 AM
Pretty welds are so funny.

merckx
04-20-2018, 08:17 AM
These were the first DeRosa ti frames, yes? I had one in the shop and 'pretty welds' wasn't part of it's 'charm'..since this is about welds..The ZANC is beautiful, and a tremendous ride, I am sure..this isn't about Zanc but about 'pretty' welds and how that can translate to a great frame.

I thought this thread was about back room Lira and Ruble deals, EPO and Cool.

oldpotatoe
04-20-2018, 08:20 AM
I thought this thread was about back room Lira and Ruble deals, EPO and Cool.

THREAD DRIFT..remember the Rouler article about a certain Russian cyclist..who won it all, on a team that won it all(1994?), that rode DeRosa ti frames and first year Shamals?...then kinda disappeared? The article didn't ever mention his name..only saw it in a poster in one of the pix..amazing article..he sold cars in Italy, had an Italian wife..bulked up quite a bit...

tigoat
04-20-2018, 08:29 AM
In general TIG welding prettiness does not define weld quality. Of course, some frame builders could produce both traits. A good example would be those raw TIG welds from Kent's shop shown in bike shows in the last few years. A couple of builders that I know could TIG weld a frame as a last step of the frame building process without surface finishing (blasting or brushing) requirements, which would require a weld that is absolutely clean and colorless.

GregL
04-20-2018, 09:04 AM
THREAD DRIFT..remember the Rouler article about a certain Russian cyclist..who won it all, on a team that won it all(1994?), that rode DeRosa ti frames and first year Shamals?...then kinda disappeared? The article didn't ever mention his name..only saw it in a poster in one of the pix..amazing article..he sold cars in Italy, had an Italian wife..bulked up quite a bit...
Evgeni Berzin! The poster boy for "better cycling through chemistry," early '90s edition. Has since nearly doubled in size and realized his true dream of owning car dealerships in Italy.

Greg

crownjewelwl
04-20-2018, 09:12 AM
just in time for my spot in the queue...

DRZRM
04-20-2018, 09:26 AM
I'm always surprised the direction that threads can take here. Mike's a guys who I think is commonly known to be obsessed with the technology and art of welding. He started "the bicycle thread" at The Welding Web forum (forum for welders) in 2013.

I also think he is the only frame builder to have been featured on the Welding Tips and Tricks podcast, most guests are way more industrial).

Ti was discussed around the 1:08 mark.

http://wttpodcast.libsyn.com/welding-tips-and-tricks-podcast-episode-13-mike-zanconato

So to OP (Old Spud, not Original Poster, that's me, and I'm not trying to start a fight, more a critical conversation) I think this thread is sort of a strange place to open the discussion of poor TI welding. Obviously, it is a forum, so you can talk about what you want, all good. Maybe I could have posted the unbrushed pic with it, but I meant it as a "Yay Zanc is welding TI" Fanboy type thread, not a "Look at the pretty stack of dimes" thread. I certainly didn't think this would turn into a "what makes for sh*tty welding" thread.

But to follow up with some random pic of a bike with overheated welds to prove a point seems wrongheaded especially as the unbrushed image was already there. Folks will google his name and titanium and this will pop up. You might have stuck this in the thread on the custom Chinese TI frame from a few weeks back but didn't.

I'm not trying to pick a fight with Peter, but If someone posted a "I love my OP wheels, thanks Spud" thread and someone else was like, yeah but some custom builders use too much tension and you need to be mindful, the response by many folks would be something like "I've been riding Spuds wheels for years, never needed truing, great builder, helpful member, cool Campy tat, not a worry." That should be the end. If that poster then comes back with some random images of a custom wheel with spokes pulling through the rim built by another builder, it seems either thoughtless or hostile. Why should that image be part of a thread about your wheel building company?

That's it. Again, not trying to get in a fight with Peter, I assume it was just an oversight. Hope to share images and ride reports of a Titonato of my own someday.

lhuerta
04-20-2018, 09:30 AM
Not terribly surprising, but his welds are looking awfully smooth.

....Zanc's welds have been smooth and seamless for a long time :)

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/868/40317526115_39d9c5e334_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/24qHRSB)P1040007 copy (https://flic.kr/p/24qHRSB) by eddymerckx3 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/eddymerckx3/), on Flickr