PDA

View Full Version : Images of a Non-Serotta Posted

dnovo
12-20-2003, 08:58 AM
I just posted three photos of a Tommasini Tecno I scored on close out and just built up at the "Custom Bikes" section of the this forum. It was fast, easy to do, was done without having to wait for 'approval' (I assume that anything unsuitable could be removed by the moderator) you can flip from one to the other quickly, and it is clearly not a Serotta bike, and my computer did not explode when I posted it. The only thing I bemoan is that maximum image size appears to be 640X480, while the old forum allowed 800X600.

The bike. A 2003 Tommasini Tecno. Tommasini still builds all his bikes in house. This one is lugged Columbus Nemo (the newest version is now Deda 14.5, and costs 50% more!) Traditional chromed steel fork, nice and comfortable.

Is the tubeset really worth the upcharge? Not according to a very well respected builder who lurks/posts at this site. Nemo is a great tube set.

The chrome lugs and the paint are shown, and are very, very nice if you are into them, which I obviously am to a great extent. The components are '03 Chorus and the wheels are Velocity Deep-V. Ride and response very much like my Tommasini Fire but a bit more flex, albeit a bit more comfort.

Why? The UltraFoco tubeset on the Fire gives a firmer ride and the carbon fork a bit crisper response. The diameter of the tubing on the Fire also accounts for the differences. I like them both. And, for $849 on close out, and with a 'real' headbadge, they got two left so unless you want to spend $1299 next year, grab now. Dave N>