PDA

View Full Version : Help me understand Flatbar Geometry

Clancy
04-19-2018, 07:57 AM
A pinched nerve in my neck has kept me off the bike and I don’t see it getting much better. I’ve always been a road bike guy for the last 40+ years. When I was in my 20’s-30’s I had a MTB but focused on road.

I know my fit with road bikes but understanding flat bar geometry is a touch strange. For road, I understand HT, ST angles, ETT lengths, etc. I’ve got two custom road frames.

I’m thinking a flat bar bike is now in my future, something where I can sit upright and not have to flex my neck as much. I don’t know much of anything about fit other than I’ll be more upright - I don’t know how that translates to frame specs.

My preferred fit on a road bike is a frame with an ETT of around 53.5-54 with a taller than avg HT. (As we get older we don’t like those slammed positions so much!)

So what do I need to know? Looking for some specific info that will help me start looking at frames, not “you want your bar closer and higher” I kind of already get that.

I’m thinking the only way I can start riding again, and I’m desperate to do so, is a flat bar bike. I’m hoping a nice steel frame with 28-32c tires will fit the bill and make me smile again.

p nut
04-19-2018, 08:22 AM
Sounds like you will want a Rivendell. Nice, upright position, swept back bars (aka Albatross), and a nice lugged steel frame. The new Atlantis frame (Taiwan made) is pretty cheap. Their PBH sizing is pretty right on so just use that. Just remember, as your position gets more upright, there is more tolerance for different TT lengths. Flatbar MTB/cruiser fit is much easier than road bike.

JAGI410
04-19-2018, 08:49 AM
Rivendell recommendation is spot on. Great bikes for this purpose.

Ken Robb
04-19-2018, 09:37 AM
I have sold all my bikes except a 2001 FS Marin Rift Zone and my trusty Riv. Rambouillet. It still has the 9speed Ultegra triple that was its original build. I have swapped Nitto Technomic Deluxe stem for an even taller Technomic which is not quite at its full extension because I didn't replace the cable for longer ones when I swapped stems. This gets my bars slightly higher than my saddle and, of course, raising a stem also moves the bars rearward.

I had a Riv Allrounder which was a more expensive version of the Atlantis. Originally it had drop bars but I swapped those for Moustache bars on a Dirt Drop stem and liked it better. I have another bar/stem combo like that and I'm thinking of trying it on Rambo.

If any of your bikes have 1" threaded forks I'd suggest trying these ideas. If not look around for a used Rambo, Romulus, Atlantis. If you can give up classic good looks Riv has some current offerings that don't cost too much and work well for old geezers like me (us?).

In any event, Riv has lots of good info on their theory of fit on their site which can help you whether you buy anything from them or not.

juliussharpe
04-19-2018, 02:10 PM
Maybe check out crankforward bikes by Rans. I have a Rans Mini as my commuter and love it. Splits the difference between recumbent and upright. Fast unless it’s real windy and very comfortable.

icepick_trotsky
04-19-2018, 03:02 PM
I think you'll find that the overall size of your frame won't change much. I agree with others that you should try one of your current frames. Can't recommend Albatross bars highly enough. My wife has a spinal fusion and now rides with them exclusively. They're great because they accept MTB shifters or bar end.

https://i.imgur.com/5RISOh6l.jpg

If you find the bars on the existing HT aren't high enough, try a riser stem. Generally, the wider the bars the shorter the stem.

icepick_trotsky
04-19-2018, 03:05 PM
Soma pescadero might check some boxes for you in terms of steel and tire clearance at a more palatable price than a Rivendell.

http://www.irontrust.net/soma/media/com_hikashop/upload/8134pescadero_neighborhoodview_prfile3000.jpg

Hilltopperny
04-19-2018, 05:55 PM
Sorry to hear about your issues Clancy. Have you thought of something like the Moots Routt? It's not a flat bar bike, but they come with a pretty high stack number and you can get a 1" headtube extension for no extra cost.

I picked one up with the extension and it has me in a more upright position than the rest of my bikes. It is all day comfortable and the fat tires and straight guage tubing make for an extremely smooth ride. Might be something to look into?1697958876

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

colker
04-19-2018, 06:07 PM
Not necessarily a flat bar...
You may just need a shorter saddle to bars and taller h bar set up.
That may translate into a new bicycle, yes, w/ longer chainstays, more bb drop, relaxed seat angle. New bike! New toy. Why not???
Rivendell is a great start. As long as you keep riding it´s all good.