PDA

View Full Version : One lowrider front pannier...

Ruimteaapje
04-19-2018, 04:13 AM
I'm curious about rider experience with using only one pannier in front. Seeing pics of Speedvagen's Urban Racer I wonder about weight distribution and the effect it has on steering...

http://www.roadbikereview.com/reviews/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/SC17_UR_Green_191.jpg

marciero
04-19-2018, 04:37 AM
I've done it commuting. It's ride-able but it's weird, with pronounced affect on steering, depending on weight. I had a full-size laptop in a rather heavy ortlieb briefcase pannier. One panny in the back on the other hand is not noticeable at all. After a while you will get off-center tire wear though if you dont switch sides.

Edit. I will add that, in addition to weight, handling is very sensitive to where a front load is placed-high/low, fore/aft, how much it sticks out. I dont see the rationale for not having rack on both sides, other than it looks sort of rakish.

thirdgenbird
04-19-2018, 06:37 AM
Seems like an odd choice.

If you are looking for a lighter commuter/rando setup, a Tubus fly rear rack with a single pannier works very well. I use a brooks bag intended for the front. The rack and bag interface perfectly.

Ruimteaapje
04-19-2018, 06:41 AM
Yes, I have a rear rack with single pannier on my CX bike. I was just curious about the Speedvagen setup because it seemed form over function to me (which is more or less confirmed by "marciero")

https://www.pedalroom.com/p/vetta-ciclocross-22329_22.jpg

Ruimteaapje
04-19-2018, 06:51 AM
That said, I did ask Antonio for a quote on a fork with eylets for lowriders for my blue Vetta. Considering using it as a travel bike with light luggage with Tubus "Duo" brackets to mount two panniers. That's how I came across pics of the Speedvagen - but just curious, I'm not considering using only one pannier myself. But as I'm a big guy I think I would benefit from front panniers to get some strain off the rear wheel.

https://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server700/5fde0/products/41/images/274/duomounted__53246.1293824037.500.659.jpg?c=2

thirdgenbird
04-19-2018, 07:10 AM
I didn’t notice the username. We have very similar setups. I still regret not buying as similar front rack briefly sold by Velo orange. It was a bit slimmer than the Tubus and appeared to be a perfect match for my stainless Tubus fly.

Bradford
04-19-2018, 10:59 AM
...But as I'm a big guy I think I would benefit from front panniers to get some strain off the rear wheel...

As another big guy (230 when in shape), and as a long-time commuter and tourer, I agree that front low riders are great. I would not, however, for any reason, use just one or a set that aren't balanced. That just looks nuts.

I read your initial post at 5:00 this morning while drinking my coffee, so I paid extra attention to the weight of the single bag on my commute in. While riding, and while getting to speed or slowing down, I didn't notice a thing. However, while stopped at lights, especially when I was in downtown Denver traffic and paying more attention to cars and pedestrians, there were a few times when the single pannier (with the world's heaviest laptop) pulled the bike down and I had to re-group quickly before the bike bounced. That alone convinced me I don't want that problem up front.

I have a Tubus Tara low rider rack and have used it during tours both with rear panniers and without rear panniers. When I don't have enough load to fill four bags, I prefer loading the front, mostly because I like the weighting better, and partially because I'm always afraid of what my big butt can do to a wheel. When I have all four bags full, I load the front with the heaviest stuff, for the same reason.

When I commute with a laptop, like I did today, I still use the rear pannier because I only use a single bag. I can't split a laptop in two, and even if I could having a couple of front panniers would be a pain to get up and down the elevator from bike parking. With just a laptop and a few clothes, one bag doesn't weigh down the back enough to worry about the load.

likebikes
04-19-2018, 11:17 AM
i've done it. steering feels a little weird as does no hands riding, but it works for commuting or city riding.

Ruimteaapje
04-19-2018, 03:40 PM
Bradford basically confirms the reservations I had when I came across the pics of that Speedvagen. And at that time I did not even take the worlds heaviest laptop into consideration :D

Ken Robb
04-19-2018, 05:07 PM
I have ridden with both one and two rear bags and I was able to tell when there was only one back there but it wasn't a big deal for commuting/running errands. I don't think I'd like much weight on just one side up front.

I have an assortment of saddle and bar bags to accommodate various loads and they work so well for up to about 35 lbs. that I haven't needed front racks and lowriders because I haven't done loaded touring. Overnight camping was fine.

CMiller
04-19-2018, 05:12 PM
I imagine weird handling, but more importantly it would make me any one mildly OCD faint on the ride ;)