PDA

View Full Version : OT: Off the bike beverage vessels

Nooch
04-18-2018, 08:29 AM
What do you like to drink from when you're off the bike, bottle wise? Do you prefer metal or plastic?

I've just been using blender bottle shaker bottles for a while but have broken several out of clumsiness/dropping in the parking lot. Was thinking about grabbing a hydro flask, but I'm undecided.

Thanks!

Steve in SLO
04-18-2018, 11:13 AM
I use Nalgene and Hydroflask.
Nalgene might be better if you're a serial dropper, unless you're not bothered by a dented-up Hydroflask. The Hydroflask will keep fluids cold/hot for an impressive time, and do not sweat, but are a bit heavy/bulky for some applications (think backpacking).
The Nalgene is light, tough, cheap and is an old-school bottle, but will wet everything in contact if you put ice or cold drink in it.
Most impressive to me is the Hydroflask pint glass, which sits near my sink in readiness for my beer o' the day. No sweat, and keeps my beer cold for a very long time despite the open top. I have a pretty good collection of pint glasses and rarely use them anymore.

mtechnica
04-18-2018, 11:35 AM
Nalgene for water, hydroflask for coffee and tea. I think they’re both excellent products. A lot of people seem to like their yeti cups as well but I haven’t gone down that road yet.

Cicli
04-18-2018, 11:49 AM
I drink burbon out of a water bottle.

veggieburger
04-18-2018, 11:50 AM
I prefer to drink from the skulls of vanquished enemies.

Skulls and Nalgene. But mostly skulls.

speedevil
04-18-2018, 12:00 PM
I like this one:

https://coffeebrakemug.com/

But, skulls are cool too.

ergott
04-18-2018, 12:01 PM
Pint glass.

Beer gets fancy glass like tecu, chalice, or tulip. All these pint glasses I have collected over the years have become my regular beverage glasses.

Oh and Nalgene OTG next to trainer when I'm in the garage working out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

59dualcab
04-18-2018, 12:25 PM
Stainless steel pint glass. Keeps things cold/hot for a long time. Won't break and easy to clean. Not cheap, but worth it!

daker13
04-18-2018, 02:47 PM
Kleen kanteen.

There was an article about the company owner in, I think it was Dirt Rag, a few years ago, and he was a crazy mountain biking guy from New Mexico (?). Didn't come up with the idea himself, but had manufacturing contacts in the far east, so he was able to build the company and did some good stuff with the money he made. (This is all from not-so-good memory.) Built it up right when everyone was starting to worry about BPA. Anyway, good product!

cadence90
04-18-2018, 02:54 PM
This is the only way to roll (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbgv8PkO9eo) in this regard. There really is no other better way.

Steve in SLO
04-18-2018, 05:35 PM
This is the only way to roll (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbgv8PkO9eo) in this regard. There really is no other better way.

Thurston Howell III might disagree..."Coconuts are for the little people"

donevwil
04-18-2018, 05:38 PM

Thanks a lot, now I can't get the song out of my head.

choke
04-18-2018, 06:23 PM
Take your pick....

Likes2ridefar
04-18-2018, 06:30 PM
I Don’t do plastic so At work I use a hydroflask like it seems many here. It has a flip lid and is silent, close to leak proof, and easy to use. I also have a screw down stainless steel bottle, single wall so pretty light, but it squeaks every time I unscrew it. Perhaps a deal breaker in some environments...

At home I prefer a yeti 20oz. with a mag slider lid. It is great at keeping drinks hot or cool even with the lid off. The lid isn’t leak proof though so don’t like dragging it in and out of the house to work.

Salty
04-18-2018, 06:59 PM
For water I use a Hydro Flask, and I cannot recommend it highly enough. I put ice and water in mine before bed and there will still be ice rattling around in it the next afternoon at work. I never worry about it leaking once you snap the lid shut, and really like that it doesn't sweat even when the contents are freezing cold. I have a smaller "wine tumbler" version that I use for tea, which is also great.

CMiller
04-18-2018, 07:40 PM
Insulated Kleen Kanteen for me, I carry it everywhere. No squeak for the lid, keeps things cold, looks good, and fairly light. At home I use cheap beer pint glasses, but now I really want one of those hydro flask pint glasses!

cadence90
04-18-2018, 08:06 PM
Thurston Howell III might disagree..."Coconuts are for the little people"

To which I would reply, with apologies to Senator Lloyd Bentsen, "Thurston Howell III, I've played that Harry Nilsson coconut song for decades. I know that Harry Nilsson coconut song. That Harry Nilsson coconut song is a friend of mine. Thurston Howell III, you're no Harry Nilsson coconut song!"

:banana:

Steve in SLO
04-18-2018, 09:44 PM
I'm with Thurston...your ear gets too wet using a coconut.

BobbyJones
04-19-2018, 02:40 AM
I went a little overboard on Kleen Kanteen products recently. There are three that i've got in constant rotation.

1) 40oz wide mouth uninsulated with a Cafe Cap. This is my everyday water bottle. The Cafe Cap has been virtually leak proof with an easy to clean design.

2) 20oz insulated wide mouth with both loop cap AND its own Cafe Cap for coffee. This one is a conundrum. If you put something blazing hot in there with the Cafe Cap, it doesn't cool off fast enough to enjoy on the commute, and it doesn't hold heat long enough unless you suck it down right when you get to work. Probably great for a car commuter to start with a "warm" beverage. I use mine primarily as a thermos with the loop cap then switch out after a couple of hours to the Cafe Cap. Heatwise, don't plan on it for your first coffee hit then a second a few hours later. It's one or the other. (all subjective of course) Cold drinks stay cold though.

3) 20oz insulated Tumbler. For drinks (hot and cold) at home and walks and such. Has a top, but an open sip hole. Wish they'd put some kind of slider, but then they'd prob get complaints that it wasn't leak proof. Say goodbye to coffee table coasters!

Some nuances:

Wide mouths are easy to clean.
I don't like the Sport Tops, nor the narrow mouth bottles
The Cafe Cap is an ingenious design, both in operation and cleaning
Easy to get coffee stink out of the bottles, but the tops are a different story. They are cheap enough to have dedicated "coffee" tops though.

Whatever route you go, I think the Kleen Kanteen products are something to consider.

Nooch
04-19-2018, 07:19 AM
Thanks guys. Figured I could trust a few of you would have been Hydroflask users.

I've got a klean kanteen for coffee that I bring to work, and agree with the sentiment. After using the cafe cap for a number of years I started noticing I don't suck it down fast enough or it doesn't cool off fast enough for when I need it, so I started using the loop cap and pouring my coffee into a mug at work.

But, this will be specifically for water. It sounds like those of you using the hydroflask use the flip cap as opposed to the loop? Leak-proof is important to me (which the original Klean Kanteen cafe cap was not -- and I haven't upgraded to the new one). I'd just go with a pint but again, don't believe that cap to be leak free.

I used to just drink with a cycling bottle at work, a camelback podium, until I realized the constant 'squiiiiiiirt-pop' was really annoying people..

And for home/libation use, I'm very lucky to have one of these (and am constantly pissed off to get home and find that my mother-in-law has used it):
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/52b096a4e4b09af7f3cc9a0f/545a5730e4b0dc3018adacf8/547743d6e4b0a1e9ef80d5b6/1417102295493/IMG_3977.jpg?format=750w