PDA

View Full Version : Small Houses redux...

paredown
04-18-2018, 06:50 AM
We've had threads off and on about small houses, and there is one that won in the 'Small Homes' category in the recent Fine Homebuilding "Houses" issue. It's behind a paywall, but here's the link for the first part of the article:
http://www.finehomebuilding.com/2018/04/11/best-small-home-2018-small-house

What I liked about it was that it made great use of a difficult site, and it attached that lovely full height screened in porch on the back. 800 sq ft total, excluding the portch. One small negative--the loft on the front of the house that is being used as the master bedroom is only reachable by ladder, so you probably have to be under 30 with a good bladder....

fbhidy
04-18-2018, 07:17 AM
We've had threads off and on about small houses, and there is one that won in the 'Small Homes' category in the recent Fine Homebuilding "Houses" issue. It's behind a paywall, but here's the link for the first part of the article:
http://www.finehomebuilding.com/2018/04/11/best-small-home-2018-small-house

What I liked about it was that it made great use of a difficult site, and it attached that lovely full height screened in porch on the back. 800 sq ft total, excluding the portch. One small negative--the loft on the front of the house that is being used as the master bedroom is only reachable by ladder, so you probably have to be under 30 with a good bladder....I've been living in a 900sq ft log cabin for about 10 years. 2 bedroom 1 bath, with the master bedroom up a spiral staircase. As I get older I am considering working on convincing my wife to move our bedroom downstairs!

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

zap
04-18-2018, 08:28 AM
edit

One small negative--the loft on the front of the house that is being used as the master bedroom is only reachable by ladder, so you probably have to be under 30 with a good bladder....

under 30?

Burning Pines
04-18-2018, 08:56 AM
We just moved into an 850 sq ft house and it feels more than big enough... it was actually originally a shack built in 1910 at about 450 square feet until a remodel in 2004. The rooms are small but laid out pretty well. We were apartment dwellers before.

A lot of my GF’s coworkers live in the burbs and have 2000 sq ft plus houses and literally multiple extra rooms that they hardly use. I don’t get the appeal unless you have a ton of kids.

veggieburger
04-18-2018, 09:20 AM
If anyone has pics of their own small house, I for one would love to see them!

Jdg68
04-22-2018, 11:16 AM
I like the shed roof and high ceiling in the kitchen. Maybe giving up potential attic storage space but getting a higher quality kichen space as a result. I think more of an open plan works better in small spaces as opposed to a cluster of small cubbyhole rooms.

SlowPokePete
04-22-2018, 05:29 PM
My last house was 2br/1ba less than 800 sf, was there a little over five years.

It was helpful that I had a Basement (for workshop/storage/laundry/mechanicals) and a 1 car garage.

No problems living there at all, but got re-married so we bought 1600 sf house...still pretty modest in size.

Funny thing is that this is a 2 story house, with garage under, so less overall space in the basement since it now includes the garage

SPP

paredown
04-22-2018, 05:57 PM
edit

under 30?

irony...:banana: I think I could manage at 60+ but not my wife...

providence
04-22-2018, 07:00 PM
I couldn’t do the really “tiny” houses but I think we could absolutely live in something of the neighborhood of 850-1000 square feet. Especially considering the gal and I do not plan on having kids.

The consistent hang up I see from ever really pursuing it is that I “need” at least a 3 car garage. Can only image what that would look like. Ha

PeregrineA1
04-22-2018, 07:39 PM
Lived in a 1034 SF home for 20 years. No issues. I did build a 27x25 garage with attic storage. It all went to the ex-wife. I miss that garage......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk