PDA

View Full Version : LBS mini-rant, and prolly totally offbase but I have my opinion lol

pjbaz
04-17-2018, 12:46 PM
It is unbelievable to me that none of the LBS in my area (I've called 6 within 40 miles, so far) don't stock an 11-speed Shimano quick link tool. Neither the Shimano TL-CN10 or Park MLP1.2 are on the shelf for immediate purchase, even from shops which claim it as "in stock" on their websites, or have it listed in their computer as on hand.

One shop told me, "it's not a very common tool" :eek:

No, shops can't stock every part or tool.
Yes, they can order it.
Yes, I am being a bit ridiculous considering they can order one in a few days, but so can I, and it will be delivered to my door ...

OK, mini-rant over. :bike:

eBAUMANN
04-17-2018, 12:49 PM
thats pretty nuts...thats probably the most useful chain tool that exists these days, everyone should own one.

fwiw, these tools work with any speed chain, not only 11s (as you described).

jtakeda
04-17-2018, 12:51 PM
I’d say it’s a pretty uncommon tool to be honest-I haven’t seen it at my LBS

I just remove quick links with my hands.

Besides that Shimano doesn’t exactly protect their dealers MSRP so there’s even less incentive to stock an uncommon tool

I might be in the minority who use my hands.

mktng
04-17-2018, 12:52 PM
It happens.
Maybe they did have one. But the person helping you didn't know where it was.

I went to a lbs in Ottawa looking for grease.

The kid told me they don't sell grease, and to check out the hardware store across the street.

I left....never to return...ever...

MaraudingWalrus
04-17-2018, 12:56 PM
I certainly wouldn't stock the shimano one, for reasons mentioned already.

I also wouldn't have duplicates of the park one, so if I sold the one Tuesday after I do my order, might be a few days before I place another order, then another couple days to have it.

Probably have sold maybe a half dozen of them in three or four years?

As for grease, haven't had a ton of call for that at our shop, either. Normally try and have a tube of maybe something from park, and maybe a little tub of Dura Ace grease. Again, maybe have had a dozen people wanting to purchase actual grease in the last three years?

Same thing, try to have one, but occasionally don't. And if I don't, generally the hardware store does have something, or I can give them a dollop or so out of the tub on my bench into a bag - have done that a lot.

Lots of people ask for grease and I realize they just mean a lubricant, generally a chain lube.

But still, reasonable explanations for not having something doesn't help the person who comes in expecting it. It's a bummer all around.

pjbaz
04-17-2018, 01:05 PM
I just remove quick links with my hands.

I might be in the minority who use my hands.

Have you tried a Shimano link? If so, you sir are one strong mofo!

I admitted defeat almost instantly LOL

Mikej
04-17-2018, 01:06 PM
There was probably a "run" on them since the chains now come with the QL vs the pin. Just imagine how many $100 11s chain tools are now unneeded.

jtakeda
04-17-2018, 01:09 PM

I actually haven’t used Shimano. Sram-kmc-wipperman—just squeeze the middle firmly and push in.

The issue is more a Shimano not protecting msrp.
The internet is far cheaper so the LBS can provide less when they have no margins.

While making $100 off me probably isn’t keeping the lights on I try to buy as much consumables-tools-and components as I can from the lbs.

zzy
04-17-2018, 03:42 PM
Wait can you seriously not just use a Park MLP 1.2 to remove a Shimano quicklink??

foo_fighter
04-17-2018, 04:30 PM
I gotta say, this binder clip hack is pretty cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pYrK7DOkCk

Hellgate
04-17-2018, 04:34 PM
I use my old busted up 25 YO chain tool on my R11 chain, works fine.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

mtechnica
04-17-2018, 04:40 PM
I use my old busted up 25 YO chain tool on my R11 chain, works fine.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I have built two shimano 11 speed bikes and put thousands of miles on them, and was not aware that I couldn't use my pedros chain breaker :eek::eek::eek:

AJosiahK
04-17-2018, 06:00 PM
super common in my experience. Not as common for shops to carry some tools for sale like that however. I dig it when shops (ones with enought space) have a display specifically for tools

bicycletricycle
04-17-2018, 06:27 PM
Any set of pliers can be used for quick links. I didn’t know those existed.

pjbaz
04-17-2018, 06:40 PM
Wait can you seriously not just use a Park MLP 1.2 to remove a Shimano quicklink??

YEAH!

I have the OG 1.0 version which only removes the links. The 1.2 has an "outside" curve which allows you to just pull apart on the arms and it snaps the link into place.

I drove up to a shop this afternoon which HAD the 1.2, got home and was in action within 15 seconds. I tried the brake and smack the pedal thing a few times to no avail before buying this tool ... 15 seconds included me removing it from the packaging lol

pjbaz
04-17-2018, 06:45 PM
Yeah, I have built two shimano 11 speed bikes and put thousands of miles on them, and was not aware that I couldn't use my pedros chain breaker :eek::eek::eek:

Shimano finally produced a quick link, it was with my new chain and bam, it's on and ready. I still have my handy Park chain breaker, but I love the ease of a quick link, ... and it allowed me to buy a new tool!

oldguy00
04-17-2018, 06:56 PM
Yeah, I'm going with off base and ridiculous...lol

Most bikers I know don't know how to do the most basic maintenance on their bikes, and I've seen tools sit on LBS walls for years unsold.

mingc
04-18-2018, 11:20 AM

Yeah! It's not your father's KMC link! I put my first one on just last week. I thought I was going to break my Park plier!

Saint Vitus
04-18-2018, 12:38 PM
I went to go buy a spare link after I had a new Shimano 11s chain installed the week before as a "just in case" out on the trails of the BWR. The store I went to didn't have one and said they only came with the chain. Glad I read this topic...

pjbaz
04-19-2018, 08:29 PM
I went to go buy a spare link after I had a new Shimano 11s chain installed the week before as a "just in case" out on the trails of the BWR. The store I went to didn't have one and said they only came with the chain. Glad I read this topic...

They're available on some of the mail order sites, but none of the local LBS near me have them yet.

booglebug
04-19-2018, 10:06 PM
Snap ring pliers is the trick for this

Gummee
04-19-2018, 10:30 PM
In the year or so I've been at the new shop exactly zero people have asked for tools. Exactly zero people have asked for anything other than lube. Exactly zero people asked about the difference between the old Shimano chains and the new ones.

The last shop I was at, we sold a few tools, but not many. Mostly multi tools and allen wrench sets. We may have sold a bit of grease in the 2 years I was there.

It just isn't anything anyone is asking for outside us 'enthusiasts.'

I have pretty much everything I need here at home. ...and just finished putting some of my used 11sp Ultegra stuff on a friend of a friend's bike. Used automotive grease for the BB. Bought a tub to do wheel bearings on Dad's Mercedes a few years ago and still have about half the tub.

M

pjbaz
04-20-2018, 08:45 AM
In the year or so I've been at the new shop exactly zero people have asked for tools. Exactly zero people have asked for anything other than lube. Exactly zero people asked about the difference between the old Shimano chains and the new ones.

The last shop I was at, we sold a few tools, but not many. Mostly multi tools and allen wrench sets. We may have sold a bit of grease in the 2 years I was there.

It just isn't anything anyone is asking for outside us 'enthusiasts.'

I have pretty much everything I need here at home. ...

M

And that's the issue I had. I am an enthusiast. I do almost all of my own repairs. I own a large amount of shop tools acquired from many places, including purchases from shops (like this tool), online (that doesn't help a single LBS) and from shops that closed (great way to pick up tools on the cheap) because they didn't meet the demands of the local market for whatever reason.

Like I said, no shop can carry everything but I can easily just order online and the LBS gets no loot. Chicken and egg thing, thankfully sorted by one LBS having it in stock. FTR, they added another to their order for stock right as I checked out.