PDA

View Full Version : Another beautiful fall day..

dave thompson
10-15-2006, 12:01 AM
...on a new bicycle.

It's slight below freezing in the early morning but quickly warms up to the mid-60s. I start in the 'hood. (that's my house on the left, hidden in the trees)

dave thompson
10-15-2006, 12:03 AM
Just a very few miles up the road and I'm in the open country and farms.

dave thompson
10-15-2006, 12:04 AM
Want to move here? There's lots of this.

dave thompson
10-15-2006, 12:06 AM
Way, way out.

dave thompson
10-15-2006, 12:09 AM
The Wild Rose community.

See the white door on the little building just to the right of the church? The sign on the door says "Ladies".

dave thompson
10-15-2006, 12:10 AM
And it goes on and on and on........

Gothard
10-15-2006, 03:10 AM
New bike? Pics?
Nice area. I guess anywhere you can safely ride a bike is worth living.

Kevan
10-15-2006, 06:42 AM
You had better start bakin' a tuna casserole, I'm movin' out there. Wonderful pics.

dave thompson
10-15-2006, 08:50 AM
New bike? Pics?
Nice area. I guess anywhere you can safely ride a bike is worth living.
Soon.

spiderlake
10-15-2006, 10:05 AM
Looks like some killer riding. Are those mountains in the background?

pale scotsman
10-15-2006, 11:21 AM
What a great time of the year, and what a great place! Just curious though, what is the going price per acre for cleared land around there? I'm not talking subdivision lots, but small farm type acreage.

Tailwinds
10-15-2006, 11:27 AM
Awesome pix, Dave -- thanks for sharing. That looks pretty similar to the views where I live... mountains in the distance & flat to rolling 2-lane rural roads around my neighborhood. We are fortunate to have the options we do!

dave thompson
10-15-2006, 11:49 AM
What a great time of the year, and what a great place! Just curious though, what is the going price per acre for cleared land around there? I'm not talking subdivision lots, but small farm type acreage.
That particular acreage is about $11,500 per in 10 acre sections (min. size per agricultural zoning). It's a little high because of the views, phone and power to the property and well water is 160ft down.

Frankwurst
10-15-2006, 12:21 PM
I've stood on top of this state and was born and raised west of the Cascades.
It is IMO one of the most beautiful states in all of America. :beer:

dave thompson
10-15-2006, 01:12 PM
It's interesting that that the common perception of Washington is Seattle, when more than half of the state is much more like the area that I live in.

catulle
10-15-2006, 02:03 PM
Beautiful country, great pictures. Thank you. God bless.

Ken Robb
10-15-2006, 02:18 PM
is the paving a bit coarse?

dave thompson
10-15-2006, 02:27 PM
is the paving a bit coarse?
Yup. In the rural areas, roads that aren't oiled gravel, are chip-seal. If those roads get used a fair amount they become quite smooth, otherwise it can be a Magic Fingers ride. That's when I really come to appreciate the Ottrott!

onekgguy
10-16-2006, 12:35 AM
Beautiful photos, Dave.

I love this time of year for riding even if it can be a bit of a challenge to figure out how to dress for the ride. I do know that if I'm anywhere near warm in the first two miles that I've over-dressed. I tend to go out with not enough on and warm into my ride. I figure it's much better to be a bit chilly for the first hour or so as I head out into the wind than to be too warm as I take advantage of whatever tailwind there is on the ride home.

What can you say about those hills off in the distance? Are there some nice roads to take advantage of them? How tall?

Kevin

dave thompson
10-16-2006, 08:50 AM
Looks like some killer riding. Are those mountains in the background?
The mountains in pics 4 and 6 are the Selkirk Mountains which are to the north and east of us. Lots of roads up and through them. In pic 6, Mount Spokane is partially hidden by the phone pole. In the winter it's a ski recreation area but in the warmer weather it becomes a popular "col" climb to it's 5,800' top where you all you can do is turn around and come back down!

Birddog
10-16-2006, 09:06 AM
Dave, I've been told that when Nationals were held in Spokane that one of the courses was over W of where you live and I believe it was just W of Wild Rose Prairie, but not sure. A guy told me it was the Route of 7 Hills or something like that. Have you ever ridden it? and if you have, where is it located? I'm kinda guessing that it might go up the old, old 395 then over to the W. There is a hill that I think was just S of the Wild Rose Grange Hall ( it was a Grange Hall, but maybe not WR) that was called Smith's Hill. The climb would be about a mile on either side. We had some wild nights out there sledding on our Flexibvle Flyers when I was in HS. I'd think the riding would be good too.

Birddog

Bud
10-16-2006, 09:57 AM
Hey Dave is that your pop-up camper? We got one a few months back and have used it a bit. We're planning a trip with it (and the bikes) next summer. Maybe we'll head up your way.

dave thompson
10-16-2006, 10:24 AM
Dave, I've been told that when Nationals were held in Spokane that one of the courses was over W of where you live and I believe it was just W of Wild Rose Prairie, but not sure. A guy told me it was the Route of 7 Hills or something like that. Have you ever ridden it? and if you have, where is it located? I'm kinda guessing that it might go up the old, old 395 then over to the W. There is a hill that I think was just S of the Wild Rose Grange Hall ( it was a Grange Hall, but maybe not WR) that was called Smith's Hill. The climb would be about a mile on either side. We had some wild nights out there sledding on our Flexibvle Flyers when I was in HS. I'd think the riding would be good too.

Birddog
The Nationals were before my time, but I've ridden the roads all around the Wild Rose Prairie area, some great places. It's only about a 10 mile ride from the house.

Hey Dave is that your pop-up camper? We got one a few months back and have used it a bit. We're planning a trip with it (and the bikes) next summer. Maybe we'll head up your way.
Yup, our pop-up with the Golden Wonder Van. C'mon up! There's tons of county/state/private campgrounds, some right on the great riding trails we have all around here.

alancw3
10-16-2006, 10:35 AM
my favorite ride time of the year here in south fl. my sunday ride started out at a chilly 68 at 7:15 but quickly warmed up to 82 my 9:00. oh and with very little humidity. this is a great time of the year down here.