PDA

View Full Version : Classified - WTB

rustychisel
04-17-2018, 05:45 AM
At the present time there are 17 WTB/WTT listings on the first page for classified ads and only 12 for FS.

***? Seems wrong to me. Discuss.

R3awak3n
04-17-2018, 05:49 AM
At the present time there are 17 WTB/WTT listings on the first page for classified ads and only 12 for FS.

***? Seems wrong to me. Discuss.

Spring is here, people need stuff?

fignon's barber
04-17-2018, 06:02 AM
Funny, I was looking at the classifieds and thought the same: the entire first page is either WTB or PSA. My first thought was that most folks are fed up with the "antics" of the prospective "buyers" there.

gone
04-17-2018, 08:15 AM
Although I have had some limited success responding to WTB’s in the past, most of them are of the form “I’m looking for a brand new Dura Ace cassette” and when you reply they say “I was hoping not to spend more than $20”.

i.e., bottom feeders.

Greg

Likes2ridefar
04-17-2018, 08:48 AM
In my case I’m tired of spinning out with a compact crank so want a larger one. When checking the cost of new rings for my current praxis crank, I was surprised they are nearly the same as a completely new crankset.

Also have limited success with WTB so will most likely go the new route however having seen many new takeoffs listed and other top end gear it doesn’t hurt to ask first...

Guilty of asking for new to lightly used Duraace or ultegra...bottom feeder?

Clean39T
04-17-2018, 09:28 AM
Although I have had some limited success responding to WTB’s in the past, most of them are of the form “I’m looking for a brand new Dura Ace cassette” and when you reply they say “I was hoping not to spend more than $20”.

i.e., bottom feeders.

Greg

Yeah, my WTBs are more "anybody got this obscure part in their garage but haven't bothered to list it?"

And I have no problem responding to others' WTBs because I haven't taken the time to list every single spare part I have either, but am willing to dig for something if it helps.

Case in point, just filled nahntoj's need for a -17x130mm Thomson X2 -- I've had one in the cabinet ever since I was using it for fitting on my late Marcelo and now seemed like a good time to let it go...if not for the WTB, it'd still probably be in the cabinet this time next year.

RobJ
04-17-2018, 09:35 AM
I have a posted a few WTB's myself, and definitely not a bottom-feeder, just checking as Clean mentions whether someone is holding the specific part and just hasn't gotten around to listing it here. I've done well with the WTB's.

Now responding to WTB's has been a little different story. Yes there are the ones looking for something grand at give-away prices. And others that don't respond at all or ask a million questions and disappear. But if it's a regular member I recognize typically they are seriously looking and have had no issues.

Organizationally maybe it would be nice to have a sub-forum group under the Classifieds for PSA/WTB's.

Hindmost
04-17-2018, 09:45 AM
I don't sense anything malicious in the WTB. And some of them appear to be a sincere effort to find an obscure item. In general they do seem odd though, as if someone went to the swap meet stood in the center and simply shouted out loud what they might be interested in buying.

zzy
04-17-2018, 09:50 AM
Paceline needs to make a separate forum for wtbs. Each post should be locked so people don't endlessly bump their wtbs. I wish people looking for stuff should have to post an offer price. It's staggering when someone wants a very specific part that hasn't been made in 15 years and also wants it for well below what it sells for on eBay.

gngroup
04-17-2018, 09:51 AM
Who cares? Either you have the part they are looking for, or you don’t and you just ignore the thread. This forum is a great place to find parts, and to sell parts, and to have general discussions. Seems like maybe the OP is a bit cranky this morning?

GOTHBROOKS
04-17-2018, 09:54 AM
someone wanted to sell me a brand new wolftooth chainring for more than wolftooth sells them on their website.
is that a “top feeder” kind of move?

ducati2
04-17-2018, 09:56 AM
Thank you PL for WTB posts. I posted last week for some carbon disc wheels and was inundated with great options. Ended up buying a set from ColnagoFan and met a very cool and straight up guy from the transaction. Paid his fair asking price too...no haggling. Seems like a win-win to me. Can’t wait for them to arrive tomorrow!

Luwabra
04-17-2018, 09:57 AM
I do the search first and if nothing hits I’ll throw up a wtb. Worked great so far. I only do it if I’m serious about buying though. No bottom feeding but I’d rather buy something from this community than eBay or online. Plus I get a kick out of putting something back on the road that’s potentially in a parts bin gathering dust.

Mzilliox
04-17-2018, 10:11 AM
Anyone have any orange candy pedals gathering dust?

sorry, didn't want to clog the feed with yet another WTB

jamesdak
04-17-2018, 10:30 AM
OH, thanks for reminding me. I need to bump my WTB post for the Icon Stem I can't seem to find anywhere.

:banana:

R3awak3n
04-17-2018, 10:33 AM
stop complaining guys and go answer my WTB for a cheap power meter... Sure I am a bottom feeder

joosttx
04-17-2018, 10:45 AM
There should be a WTB section in the Classifieds.

and a like button

fiamme red
04-17-2018, 10:47 AM
someone wanted to sell me a brand new wolftooth chainring for more than wolftooth sells them on their website.
is that a “top feeder” kind of move?We need to separate the classifieds into bottom-feeder and top-feeder subforums.

R3awak3n
04-17-2018, 10:49 AM
We need to separate the classifieds into bottom-feeder and top-feeder subforums.

this 100%

msl819
04-17-2018, 10:49 AM
When I have posted a WTB it has either been for a part I cannot source New or online, thus the search comes here or it is for a part I know I can easily buy online but if someone has the part and would like money for it, that seems like a win/win. If no one responds I buy online and let the WTB drift into obscurity. I personally do not have a competent LBS close enough to me that I feel the obligation to buy local first. I wish I did, but I do not. Looking to buy or looking to sell both seem like commerce that fits directly into the Classifieds. PSAs May be another story.

andeww
04-17-2018, 11:16 AM
Not much worse than people that list one item per post, bump 8 FS threads all listing single items and taking up the top 8 slots.

notsew
04-17-2018, 11:21 AM
People complaining about having to scroll through a webpage for 5 seconds is akin to drivers complaining about having to take their foot of the accelerator. I don't get where the inconvenience lies.

A separate WTB section wouldn't work, not enough eyeballs. If your not a fan of 'em, don't open 'em. Just keep that finger working and scroll on by.

Dude
04-17-2018, 11:54 AM
I've often thought about this. I'm pro WTB posts, and pro most posts, some bother me, but whatever. If there was a way to "hide" posts from your feed that solve a lot of these problems.

For example, I don't follow basketball and I will never care about the basketball thread but others should be allowed to talk about basketball. If there was simply a way to "unfollow/hide/block" the post then everyone wins right?

Never want to see a PSA for a 48cm, 650c, carbon tri rig for $3k - Hide (BOOM!)

Never want to read a discussion about clamping the frame again? HIDE (BOOM!)

Those conversations can continue and the people who enjoy it can enjoy it and those that don't care, won't need to care.

Oh well, I'm pretty sure vbulletin doesn't have that feature but it sure would be nice.

AngryScientist
04-17-2018, 12:03 PM
c'mon guys. another multi-page thread complaining about the Classifieds section? sigh.

I maintain that the best way for us to self police the classifieds section and make it as user friendly as possible is through the use of very good TITLES.

if the title is descriptive enough, all of us should have enough self control to just skip over thread postings that dont interest us.

dont want to respond to WTB's ? - Very simple, scroll past them.

not interested in PSA's - scroll baby scroll.

we dont need, IMO big changes to any section of the forum. use good thread titles and exercise self control over what you click on. dont get mad. dont get upset. life is too short to harbor angst over what's on Page 1 of the Paceline Classifieds.

54ny77
04-17-2018, 12:08 PM
Those of us with enough grey hair will remember WTB as Wilderness Trail Bikes...

(I always think of that everytime I see a WTB ad, thinking, dang, haven't seen one of them in ages! :D)

quehill
04-17-2018, 12:09 PM
I know this has been discussed before but man, the classifieds just aren't what they used to be. If you're looking for some rare part that you know is probably sitting unused at the bottom of another Paceliner's bin (say a lockring for that 8 speed Campy cassette) then I say go for it, and I bet you'll find success. On the other hand, if you WTB a like-new set of Paul cantis for 30% of retail you're basically just panhandling.

Back in ye olde days there was an unwritten but widely shared understanding on this forum that the classifieds were: 1.) for selling good lightly used stuff, 2.) at bro-deal pricing (start at 50% of retail and adjust from there) 3.) you could expect the transaction to be smooth knowledgeable and friendly and as often as not you shipped before you even received payment, and 4.) if you wanted to dicker extensively bottom feed or maximize your profit then you could take that shiznit to Ebay.

Come to think of it, maybe it's really ebay that's the problem... by which I mean the descent of Ebay and Craigslist into spammer/fraudster/counterfeiter hell. Nobody goes there anymore so the fleamarket/freemarket is increasingly setting up shop here. Bummer.

quehill
04-17-2018, 12:13 PM
Oh, and I agree with AngryScientist, the issue isn't rules or the format of the forum... it's the culture of the place.

Kirk007
04-17-2018, 12:13 PM
I don't mind WTB. I got tired of posting parts bikes for what I thought was reasonable prices and getting no response. Bro deals are on thing but the bro deal minus 50% vibe that's developed here is a turn off.

Rather keep and offer up when someone needs something. Otherwise I might as well give the parts to Goodwill and get a tax deduction

colker
04-17-2018, 12:15 PM
Those of us with enough grey hair will remember WTB as Wilderness Trail Bikes...

(I always think of that everytime I see a WTB ad, thinking, dang, haven't seen one of them in ages! :D)

Oh yeah! A phoenix w/ one of those lever link Cunningham brakes... That´s what i think.:banana:

Clean39T
04-17-2018, 12:16 PM
I don't mind WTB. I got tired of posting parts bikes for what I thought was reasonable prices and getting no response. Bro deals are on thing but the bro deal minus 50% vibe that's developed here is a turn off.

Rather keep and offer up when someone needs something. Otherwise I might as well give the parts to Goodwill and get a tax deduction

Note to self, stop by Goodwill next time I'm on Bainbridge.. :banana:

54ny77
04-17-2018, 12:40 PM
The WTB mountain bikes were THE BOMB back in the early days. Some of the paint jobs coming out of there....just spectacular. An LBS in my beck of the woods as a young punk carried 'em, I used to enjoy ogling at a particular camouflage model. We're talking almost 35 years ago, and I still remember it.

Oh yeah! A phoenix w/ one of those lever link Cunningham brakes... That´s what i think.:banana:

colker
04-17-2018, 12:48 PM
The WTB mountain bikes were THE BOMB back in the early days. Some of the paint jobs coming out of there....just spectacular. An LBS in my beck of the woods as a young punk carried 'em, I used to enjoy ogling at a particular camouflage model. We're talking almost 35 years ago, and I still remember it.

Those were Steve Potts bikes, right? Did your shop had Cunninghams too? Ibis?:hello::hello:

nobuseri
04-17-2018, 01:02 PM
I read through this and understand the opinions. I have been a long time lurker, but joined fairly recently. So, going by my post count, I guess you can consider me a rookie.

I still fail to understand what the issue is? If the first page (sometimes) is weighted towards WTB rather than sales, what's wrong with that? Classifieds are for these types of things, generally.

I have quite a few things I could sell. Call it lazy or whatever, but rather than filling the classifieds with tons of "For Sale" ads, I can respond to the ones that are looking for parts that I (may) have for sale.

The "bro deal on top of a bro deal" is a whole diff ball game. If that's the gripe, maybe I misunderstood.

Just my $0.02. :beer:

a4a
04-17-2018, 02:20 PM
WTB/FS... takes 2 mins to scroll through all of them. I'm active on a watch forum and the same thing was recently discussed. If I'm looking for something in particular, takes no time at all to find or not find it. (I'll add a FS post on my Serotta that's now only on craigslist when/if I get the min post). In the meantime... keep scrolling through and window shopping.

54ny77
04-17-2018, 02:38 PM
I dunno, but it's likely. He also carried Ritchey's and Fisher's and trick parts from the local guys at Cook Bros. That was the heyday. My 2nd MTB (from that shop) was a Fisher Montare. Such a sweet paint job, that deep luscious red.

Those were Steve Potts bikes, right? Did your shop had Cunninghams too? Ibis?:hello::hello:

Mzilliox
04-17-2018, 02:45 PM
thanks everyone for the lively discussion, now can we just go back to being normal humans again? wtb dwtb never gonna buy, who cares? i have to remind people of this often, the world doesn't exist for your pleasure, find pleasure where you can, but don't expect everyone to be as weird as you.

the end

now go ride your bikes and get off my lawn:bike:

93KgBike
04-17-2018, 02:48 PM
I had the same thought as OP awhile back, but thought a thread complaining about it would be... excessive. It can be frustrating that people post WTB for stuff that is listed for sale contemporaneously.

So I just use the search bar for FS these days.

nesteel
04-17-2018, 03:11 PM
thanks everyone for the lively discussion, now can we just go back to being normal humans again? wtb dwtb never gonna buy, who cares? i have to remind people of this often, the world doesn't exist for your pleasure, find pleasure where you can, but don't expect everyone to be as weird as you.

the end

now go ride your bikes and get off my lawn:bike:

Bravo, sir. Love it.

fignon's barber
04-17-2018, 04:07 PM
I read through this and understand the opinions. I have been a long time lurker, but joined fairly recently. So, going by my post count, I guess you can consider me a rookie.

I still fail to understand what the issue is? If the first page (sometimes) is weighted towards WTB rather than sales, what's wrong with that?:

My point was as stated. Nothing to do with WTB's, more like the FS items are fewer because people are fed up with the "buyers".

Llewellyn
04-17-2018, 04:20 PM
There should be a WTB section in the Classifieds.

and a like button

I think this might have been the point the OP was trying to make. And I would agree.

dsimon
04-17-2018, 04:23 PM
I luv you man!!!!

cadence90
04-17-2018, 05:07 PM
My point was as stated. Nothing to do with WTB's, more like the FS items are fewer because people are fed up with the "buyers".

No kidding:

"hey bruh i don't know u n u dont know me but are u selling ur post #39 up there but is that the best u can do? is it NIB? if yeah would u accept 75% off + ship it to me asap usps priority 2-day for free + pay me 4% of the total cause im using paypal to pay u for it? if u can throw in any other freebies, even cooler man, i really dig those brand new shamal c17 millies too but not for 500 cant do it so how about we make a deal."

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-BpJ4CupDYYw/TcInSTNqtsI/AAAAAAAABR4/2T3g0suRT_0/s200/rageface.JPG clowns :rolleyes:

Bruce K
04-17-2018, 05:19 PM
Wow the natives are restless.

Usually by this time most folks are riding....

But then the OP is heading into Winter down there in AUS. :cool:

BK

Hilltopperny
04-17-2018, 06:02 PM
I have had a lot of successful wtb/psa situations in the classifieds. I do typically search prior to posting what I'm looking for. I have owned some fantastic bikes picked up because of a psa from this forum as well.

Currently have things for sale as well as a wtb post for an upcoming build. I am looking for a decent set of specific wheels before I search other avenues and figured the collective here is always a good place to start.

I try to sell my stuff at very reasonable prices to avoid too much back and forth. Sometimes you get people who are looking to take advantage and lowball. It is all part of doing business.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

rustychisel
04-17-2018, 06:53 PM
Wow the natives are restless.

Usually by this time most folks are riding....

But then the OP is heading into Winter down there in AUS. :cool:

BK

Yep, but it's all good. I'm the OP and it wasn't morning, I'm not grumpy, but it is heading into winter [snarl].

I just threw it out there as an oddity, not really complaining, but very interested in what others had to say/think, because I've been around here a long time and the classified ads never had WTB back in the day [whenever that was].

Now they do. I assume it may have to do with CL/fleabay and other outlets being less attractive, perhaps, but wondered if there was other input.

To be clear, I wasn't advocating splitting off into a seperate category or restricting access or anything.

Bruce K
04-17-2018, 06:59 PM
I get it/you

And your comments are appreciated.

I was just “funnin’l

BK

rustychisel
04-17-2018, 07:01 PM
:hello:

Just spotted this: the second best alloy bike ever made. Good luck to the seller.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=220914

nighthawk
04-17-2018, 07:05 PM
No kidding:

"hey bruh i don't know u n u dont know me but are u selling ur post #39 up there but is that the best u can do? is it NIB? if yeah would u accept 75% off + ship it to me asap usps priority 2-day for free + pay me 4% of the total cause im using paypal to pay u for it? if u can throw in any other freebies, even cooler man, i really dig those brand new shamal c17 millies too but not for 500 cant do it so how about we make a deal."

Wait?! Is that an actual message you received on here?!

Fiertetimestwo
04-17-2018, 08:25 PM
:hello:

Just spotted this: the second best alloy bike ever made. Good luck to the seller.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=220914

The best being your Teschner?

Bruce K
04-17-2018, 08:27 PM
You Adelaide guys are great.

Sorry we couldn't connect last trip.

Not sure there will be a third any time soon. Other spots on the bucket list need visiting first.

BK

rustychisel
04-17-2018, 08:59 PM
The best being your Teschner?

but of course.

You Adelaide guys are great.

Sorry we couldn't connect last trip.

Not sure there will be a third any time soon. Other spots on the bucket list need visiting first.

Thanks Bruce, change of job, change of career made that all my fault. Still damn pleased we were able to catch up on your first visit.

cadence90
04-17-2018, 09:11 PM
Wait?! Is that an actual message you received on here?!
No, but much closer to the truth than I would have thought possible...and, while still rare (95% of my communication/transactions have been great) multiple times and with increasing frequency recently.

I don't get it. The lack of dignity especially in the Classifieds is odd and disappointing. I, naively I suppose, thought it would not occur so much here, in this place.

FastforaSlowGuy
04-18-2018, 09:13 AM
Well if there are not a lot of "FS", and people still want bike bits, doesn't it make sense that there are a lot of "WTB"? I'm not surprised that demand outstrips supply this time of year. I think folks are reading too much into this.

Ken Robb
04-18-2018, 09:33 AM
My opinion: When you post a FS ad you provide information, pix, and price once. You will probably get interest from more than one potential buyer and they will have some sense of urgency to decide/act before the item is sold to someone else.

When you respond to a WTB the maybe-buyer sometimes asks for more and more info/pix and the process goes on a long time while he weighs multiple offers of the same or similar items.

I think it might be a good idea if we see a WTB seeking something we have to just list it for sale so everyone including the guy who posted the WTB has a chance to buy it.

fignon's barber
04-18-2018, 04:39 PM
So if you posted that you were looking for something and found through a PSA, but didn't like it, would you then execute a FSWTBPSA ?

colker
04-18-2018, 04:46 PM
So if you posted that you were looking for something and found through a PSA, but didn't like it, would you then execute a FSWTBPSA ?

LOL maybe ROTFLAO. HTH. YMMV.