PDA

View Full Version : recommendations on a front dynamo hub - disc brake

velotrack
04-17-2018, 02:54 AM
just for a commuter bike, so really just "whatever works". needs to be disc, quick release. how do the shimanos hold up, and what model? really new to this stuff.

thinking of pairing it to an e3 front light, if that matters.

marciero
04-17-2018, 04:21 AM
The SP (Shutter Precision) are a great value. Though not the cheapest they are Much less than the benchmark Son Deluxe. I have both and am quite happy with th SP.

R3awak3n
04-17-2018, 04:59 AM
Another vote for SP. Have had mine for a few years and its excellent.

Lovetoclimb
04-17-2018, 05:16 AM
Been putting my SP hubs with qr through the paces on gravel and night rides, they work great!

unterhausen
04-17-2018, 08:51 AM
For my 7 mile commute, I use the cheapest dynohubs. The cheap Shimano hubs work fine. They have some that are lower wattage that you might not want, they still have the same drag, just less power output. Those are 1.5 watt vs. the normal 3 watt.

I think I have a Shimano 3N72 on my rando bike. I also have a wheel with a 3N80, which is a bit nicer. Just sorta worked out that way with my procrastination on changing things if I have something that works. Both of those hubs have seen some pretty severe weather with no issues. I'm sure they need to be overhauled, but that's a big project that doesn't have a guaranteed outcome. I have one of the connectorless SON SL hubs waiting for the special fork. That is taking a big step forward today, so maybe I'll finally be using the son on my rando bike this year.

I have had good luck with SP on other bikes, I have them on my mountain bike and gravel bike. I was going to put one on my fatbike, but they had some problems in really cold weather and pulled that model, so I got a SON.

I see some Shimano centerlock dynohubs on ebay for around $50. The German bike shops have SP now. Haven't checked Shimano hubs on those sites.

If you didn't buy a light yet, I would definitely consider a BuM over a Supernova. The best is the IQ-X. If you rode with an E3 next to an IQ-X, you would feel like you had been robbed at the light store. The BuM eyc seems like a nice light for a commuter. Small and still bright.

R3awak3n
04-17-2018, 09:02 AM
shimanos are fine but they are really heavy (at least the really cheap ones), if you don't care bout that they are a good choice.

kevinvc
04-17-2018, 10:11 AM
I've seen very disparate information on the internet about whether different hubs are able to generate enough power to keep the lights on at slow commuting speeds if riding 700cc tires.

Anyone have personal experience with using the lower priced hubs in this manner? I like the idea of not having to continually charge my bike lights.

Kirk007
04-17-2018, 10:47 AM
SP. Work great for commuting and whatever. Price, weight - great value. Ergott just built me a wheelset with an SP-9 disc dyno so I now have two - one for rim brakes and one for disc.

SON are gorgeous but SP's are the value buy. Shimano - work fine but heavy as heck.

adampaiva
04-17-2018, 11:12 AM
another +1 for SP hubs. For a commuter duty, the PD series is probably best as they output more power at lower commuter speeds than the SV series. If you need thru-axle that might put you on the X hubs which are more expensive.

If you feel like spending more on SON, but not quite so much more, starbike.com had good prices last I looked. Also good prices on lights, like the B&M IQ-X.

unterhausen
04-17-2018, 12:34 PM
I've seen very disparate information on the internet about whether different hubs are able to generate enough power to keep the lights on at slow commuting speeds if riding 700cc tires.

Anyone have personal experience with using the lower priced hubs in this manner? I like the idea of not having to continually charge my bike lights.do you climb mountains on your commute? I ride pretty slowly on my commute because I don't want to get sweaty. I have never had a problem with low light. The headlights flash at really low speeds, particularly while standing on a steep climb. I have never seen a taillight flash. If you are going 7mph or so, they are pretty steady. The reason they are so popular in Europe is mostly for commuting. This is a gross generalization, but anyone going fast is using battery lights.

jtakeda
04-17-2018, 12:41 PM
+1 on SP.

If you wanna cruise over the bridge I can let you play around on SP—Son—and Shimano dynos.

We have all 3 (not disc though).

You’ll be able to see and feel the differences between the 3.

Honestly I think SP is the best value and just as good as Son.

ergott
04-17-2018, 12:56 PM
or...

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=2349771#post2349771

https://photos.smugmug.com/Cycling/Wheels/i-L4RhWcn/0/51e9eedf/X3/20180404_185857-X3.jpg

Kirk007
04-17-2018, 01:13 PM
or...

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=2349771#post2349771

https://photos.smugmug.com/Cycling/Wheels/i-L4RhWcn/0/51e9eedf/X3/20180404_185857-X3.jpg

Done. This is a steal. I have no need for this and still want to buy it!

jtakeda
04-17-2018, 01:20 PM
^

Do that. That is a deal

velotrack
04-17-2018, 03:10 PM
thanks everybody! seems like my choice is pretty clear... any better price than the $130 or so on universalcycles for the sp?

+1 on SP.

If you wanna cruise over the bridge I can let you play around on SP—Son—and Shimano dynos.

We have all 3 (not disc though).

You’ll be able to see and feel the differences between the 3.

Honestly I think SP is the best value and just as good as Son.

i'll let you know if i need that - SP seems pretty unanimously the choice, though so i will probably go that direction. was a little late on the trigger for the son hub above but it's all good...

jtakeda
04-17-2018, 03:16 PM
thanks everybody! seems like my choice is pretty clear... any better price than the $130 or so on universalcycles for the sp?

i'll let you know if i need that - SP seems pretty unanimously the choice, though so i will probably go that direction. was a little late on the trigger for the son hub above but it's all good...

I got an SP at 2 different LBS for cheaper than that. Try lucky duck in downtown oak—I bought my last one there.

I did get a non disc one so I’m not sure if that’s cheaper