PDA

View Full Version : Caletti bicycles

Jeff N.
04-16-2018, 07:59 PM
...They're in Santa Cruz, CA. Anyone know much about? -Jeff N.

pbarry
04-16-2018, 08:04 PM
They were at NAHBS Denver, and the bikes were top notch. Builder was low key but engaged and had the passion.

d_douglas
04-16-2018, 08:06 PM
He was on my shortlist for a ti CX bike. I saw them in Denver as well and they are very very nice. Drool.

Toddtwenty2
04-16-2018, 08:07 PM
I own an Adventure Road that is a great bike. John used Columbus Life tubes and it is very lightweight. The geometry is stable and predictable, and I have been thoroughly enjoying it.

Here is a picture in the prior owner’s initial setup. John did some thoughtful work with the owner to customize the fit of the front rack and remove the paint on the handlebars to keep the aesthetic they were going for:
http://www.cycleexif.com/caletti-cycles-road-2

bshell
04-16-2018, 09:19 PM
These guys are John Caletti, and he is a thoughtful craftsman with an eye for the aesthetic. All around good guy making beautiful bikes.

jtakeda
04-16-2018, 09:27 PM
Caletti is a top notch builder. My friend has a cross bike that she says is amazing and it looks really well built

Clean39T
04-16-2018, 09:27 PM
Ditto to everything said above - met him over the summer at the Chris King open house - really nice guy and does meticulous work.

heartattackride
04-16-2018, 10:16 PM
Lots O’ Caletti here http://theradavist.com/tag/caletti/

Lanternrouge
04-16-2018, 10:41 PM
I've never seen one in person, but I've drooled over photos of them. Please get one and post pictures in the gallery so we can live vicariously.

Clean39T
04-16-2018, 11:05 PM
I've never seen one in person, but I've drooled over photos of them. Please get one and post pictures in the gallery so we can live vicariously.

+1 - and then sell it to me in 2023

FlashUNC
04-16-2018, 11:13 PM
Not too far from Rock Lobster.

Personally I'd go with Paul, but Calettis do look nice.

Clean39T
04-17-2018, 12:15 AM
Not too far from Rock Lobster.

Personally I'd go with Paul, but Calettis do look nice.

The two builders are pretty different though - and I think there's room for both their styles. I'll take one from each please :beer:

Duende
04-17-2018, 01:23 AM
Caletti bikes are beautiful! I’ve run into a few of his cyclocross bikes on rides over the years.

I too was looking to purchase one, but at the time the waitlist was a bit long and I couldn’t wait.

Jeff N.
04-17-2018, 08:34 AM
These guys are John Caletti, and he is a thoughtful craftsman with an eye for the aesthetic. All around good guy making beautiful bikes.Interesting. That's kinda the way I'd describe Bill Holland. After I sold the Merlin (Engraved) Cyrene for a coupla grand, I started just randomly looking at Ti builders. Found out both 333Fab and Davidson are built in the same building, and they ONLY sell complete bikes (which doesn't make much sense to me). Then I just kinda stumbled on Caletti, which I'd never heard of. Zanconato is going to start building Ti now as well, but nearly a year wait list. Talked to Caletti on the phone and was intrigued...he said he could do almost anything I had in mind. Wait is about 3 months and $3200 is totally reasonable. Seriously, I'm only in the thinking stages right now...jeez, I need another bike like the plague, ya know? I feel like a boozer trying to stay away from the bottle.-Jeff N.

donevwil
04-17-2018, 11:21 AM
I met John and his wife on a bike tour a few years ago, solid individuals, very approachable, easy going and strong riders. His bikes look fantastic. Here's a good interview (https://www.bikerumor.com/2016/02/01/road-to-nahbs-2016-john-caletti-of-caletti-cycles/).

polyhistoric
04-17-2018, 12:33 PM
I purchased a steel Caletti CX frame from one of his ex-team members. He went out of his way to discuss geo, build/tubing, and facilitate. Very thoughtful and considerate. I would seriously consider him for a custom.

roguedog
04-17-2018, 11:40 PM
I.....Found out both 333Fab and Davidson are built in the same building, and they ONLY sell complete bikes (which doesn't make much sense to me). ...

Really? Only complete? Are you sure? I thought Yashca got just a frame from Max and built it up.

Caletti seems like a good guy. Local to me and like others was really awesome when tire kicking a used bike.

weaponsgrade
04-18-2018, 12:53 AM
I met Caletti (and also Curtis Inglis) on a ride a few years ago. I think he was riding a Ti cx bike. Very friendly and the bike looked well put together. I wouldn't have any reservation ordering from him (or Inglis or Lobster).

Jeff N.
04-18-2018, 08:31 AM
Really? Only complete? Are you sure? I thought Yashca got just a frame from Max and built it up.

Caletti seems like a good guy. Local to me and like others was really awesome when tire kicking a used bike.They told me (Davidson and 333Fab) that selling complete bikes is the "only way" they can make a profit, which makes zero sense to me. They said they will occasionally take frame-only orders, but only for a short time and usually toward the end of the year. They're crossed off my list. Not so with Caletti. I sent him some numbers and he immediately got back to me with a drawing. Now THAT is how you do business!

KarlC
04-18-2018, 08:36 AM
They told me (Davidson and 333Fab) that selling complete bikes is the "only way" they can make a profit, which makes zero sense to me. They said they will occasionally take frame-only orders, but only for a short time and usually toward the end of the year. They're crossed off my list. Not so with Caletti. I sent him some numbers and he immediately got back to me with a drawing. Now THAT is how you do business!

Odd 333Fab has frame only prices on their web site .....

http://333fab.com/road

Jeff N.
04-18-2018, 08:47 AM
Odd 333Fab has frame only prices on their web site .....

http://333fab.com/road

Agreed. VERY odd. I talked to them personally, so it isn't hearsay.

roguedog
04-18-2018, 11:55 AM
Jeff, did you talk to Max or to Davidson?

Sorry just Soo weird that I'm curious.

Sounds like you're going with caletti. Why not Holland who's closer to you or Potts? Curious since I too have been looking around and am interested in your thoughts process and how you narrowed down.

Jeff N.
04-18-2018, 12:28 PM
Jeff, did you talk to Max or to Davidson?

Sorry just Soo weird that I'm curious.

Sounds like you're going with caletti. Why not Holland who's closer to you or Potts? Curious since I too have been looking around and am interested in your thoughts process and how you narrowed down.Already own a Holland. Caletti has only a 3 month wait list, others (Zank) almost a year. Some are limited on what they can/can't/wont do (like, for example, internal rear brake cable routing, threaded cable barrel adjusters, oversized tubing, 31.6 seatpost, English threaded BB...you know, the small stuff). Caletti looked good, he can do what I ask. I already own, or have owned, Serotta, Merlin, Passoni, Holland, Lynskey, Moots, Firefly, No 22, Mosaic, Seven, Spectrum. Sold my engraved Merlin Cyrene, had the cash, and decided to go with someone totally new (to me) . It's not finalized yet but it will be. I know ALL my numbers/angles/extras that I like, so getting a drawing was a slam dunk. Was going to go with Davidson but he/they refused my order unless I ordered a complete bike, which is absurd...there, I said it. Same story with 333 Fab. Talked to two different guys, on the phone and via email, don't remember their names. They wouldn't bend, no matter what I said. They just said sorry, no can do. Go figure.-Jeff

donevwil
04-18-2018, 12:47 PM
Jeff,

Are you going straight up road bike or something a little different? Curious because Caletti is on my short list for the reasons you've already shared (lead, price, design flexibility).

More power to 333Fab and Davidson if they can pull it off, but that does remove 333 from my fore-mentioned short list.

Kirk007
04-18-2018, 12:58 PM
Interesting. Found out both 333Fab and Davidson are built in the same building, and they ONLY sell complete bikes (which doesn't make much sense to me). .

Max - 333FAB sells frames only. I think that's clear from his website and if not just call him. Great guy. Considered one of the top three ti welders in the country and a great guy.

Nothing against anyone else but 333FAB is fab for ti.

And Bill D has always been under the radar. I'd be shocked if he wouldn't agree to just build a frame.

metalheart
04-18-2018, 01:01 PM
I've seen some Calettis on the road around here and they are very nice bikes. And, I talked to hime at two different NHABS and he is a stand-up guy who produces quality work. Another poster suggested Potts and given your stable, his frame would be a worthy addition as well as a Caletti. I talked to him before I bought my Holland and it was a neck and neck choice --- Steve does amazing work and if he has the flexibility you need and a reasonable time frame, then....

Kirk007
04-18-2018, 01:02 PM
for example: http://333fab.com/road Butted ti: $3250

Jeff N.
04-18-2018, 01:17 PM
Max - 333FAB sells frames only. I think that's clear from his website and if not just call him. Great guy. Considered one of the top three ti welders in the country and a great guy.

Nothing against anyone else but 333FAB is fab for ti.

And Bill D has always been under the radar. I'd be shocked if he wouldn't agree to just build a frame.Be shocked. Please, I implore you to call them! I swear, I just got off the phone with them both yesterday.

Jeff N.
04-18-2018, 01:19 PM
Jeff,

Are you going straight up road bike or something a little different? Curious because Caletti is on my short list for the reasons you've already shared (lead, price, design flexibility).

More power to 333Fab and Davidson if they can pull it off, but that does remove 333 from my fore-mentioned short list.Straight up, mechanical, rim brake Ti road frame, 44mm HT, oversized DT and CS.

Jeff N.
04-18-2018, 01:21 PM
for example: http://333fab.com/road Butted ti: $3250
Please call them on the phone and see for yourself.

KarlC
04-18-2018, 01:22 PM
Already own a Holland. Caletti has only a 3 month wait list, others (Zank) almost a year. Some are limited on what they can/can't/wont do (like, for example, internal rear brake cable routing, threaded cable barrel adjusters, oversized tubing, 31.6 seatpost, English threaded BB...you know, the small stuff). Caletti looked good, he can do what I ask. I already own, or have owned, Serotta, Merlin, Passoni, Holland, Lynskey, Moots, Firefly, No 22, Mosaic, Seven, Spectrum. Sold my engraved Merlin Cyrene, had the cash, and decided to go with someone totally new (to me) . It's not finalized yet but it will be. I know ALL my numbers/angles/extras that I like, so getting a drawing was a slam dunk. Was going to go with Davidson but he/they refused my order unless I ordered a complete bike, which is absurd...there, I said it. Same story with 333 Fab. Talked to two different guys, on the phone and via email, don't remember their names. They wouldn't bend, no matter what I said. They just said sorry, no can do. Go figure.-Jeff

If that's true.... that 333Fab will only do complete bikes and no longer just a frame that's a real bummer and all of the 333Fab frames just went up in value a bit.

Here is a look at 333Fab / Max's work

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/800/39587923850_cdd2547cfe_b.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/798/26446424137_7c7b9d1546_b.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/895/41318066941_ef1a0c4e84_b.jpg

Kirk007
04-18-2018, 02:15 PM
Please call them on the phone and see for yourself.

I'll go one better. I'm picking up a bike from Max this week so I'll ask him directly and see what he says and report back. I had option of frame or full build or in between and I went in=between only as its not a typical road bike and it was easier to let them hang the parts they had in mind when they designed the frame.

Max is very busy building frames right now and I'm sure demand goes up this time of year so maybe the can pull this off right now, but particular I still find this very curious. Maybe not so much for Bill as I'd guess his volume is less and he comes out of a shop - Elliott Cycles --that was full service. And they share at least one employee now, Mark, who does the bike builds and they keep business hours in a pretty big space so maybe their overhead is expanding rapidly beyond what it was.

Finally, maybe its a thing; a number of solo frame builders that I dealt with in the past now feature the complete build option more prominently. For instance, when I got on RS' list about a decade ago to get a frame, it was a deposit on a frame/fork not a bike. About 2 years ago when he was running a bit behind on his list he sent out a notice that you could opt out due to the delay. But the notice also included that the only option was a complete built bike. I opted out.

Jeff N.
04-18-2018, 02:48 PM
They said that the last part of the year, around October, was the ONLY time they'd consider a frame only order, and even then it was a frameset (F/F/HS) that they'd consider. That's straight from the horses mouth. So if they tell you different, maybe I didn't sound right to them on the phone or something.:confused:

Clean39T
04-18-2018, 03:41 PM
Straight up, mechanical, rim brake Ti road frame, 44mm HT, oversized DT and CS.

Pretty much exactly what I'd be looking for...maybe we can get a volume discount ;)

Clean39T
04-18-2018, 03:47 PM
Builders are obviously doing this to capture the margin on the parts. For some people, it's worth it - not everyone has the time or knowledge to piece together a build that is aesthetically and functionally ideal. For others, probably 99% of the folks here, that process is part of the fun of getting a custom frame and/or they already have what they want to hang on the frame anyway.

I like what Caletti did though to integrate design and color elements out to the headset, hubs, cages, etc. - and I'm all for that. Here are some shots I posted last year from the Chris King open house:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171016/abed0b491b279fb5a0f7d0f56810bf03.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171016/16edeee0b838bbf097ae11b59b85d548.jpg

texasbbq
04-18-2018, 03:57 PM
That bike is killer.

KarlC
04-18-2018, 03:58 PM
Straight up, mechanical, rim brake Ti road frame, 44mm HT, oversized DT and CS.

Pretty much exactly what I'd be looking for...maybe we can get a volume discount ;)

Lol. I almost hit the BIN button! I was just looking at 333fab for a possible custom HSS Spirit bike hence listing the LDV.

And then there where 3 ..... Maybe 333Fab would do a volume discount :banana:

Clean39T
04-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Jeff, I think you're already getting going with Caletti, but maybe you need to add DeSalvo to your "next bike" list beyond that...

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=2351682#post2351682

I know you'd do a different style, but I could see him doing something really nice for you with a painted fork and panels for the logos.

Jeff N.
04-20-2018, 11:21 AM
Jeff, I think you're already getting going with Caletti, but maybe you need to add DeSalvo to your "next bike" list beyond that...

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=2351682#post2351682

I know you'd do a different style, but I could see him doing something really nice for you with a painted fork and panels for the logos.Very nice indeed. I did consider him but went with Caletti...he's in California. Crazy reason, but...

Clean39T
04-20-2018, 11:52 AM
Very nice indeed. I did consider him but went with Caletti...he's in California. Crazy reason, but...

Not crazy at all. It'll give you a good excuse for a Central Coast road trip. Bring your stand and buildkit, and hit some rides on the way home.

Though you may enjoy a trip to Ashland some day too. It's quite nice and the riding around there is stellar - just consult MZilliox's photos... (he's a bit north, but terrain is similar).

Jeff N.
04-22-2018, 06:03 PM