PDA

View Full Version : N-1 (and I feel fine)

kevinvc
04-16-2018, 04:21 PM
I got rid of my cross bike this weekend. I had a Mountain Cycles Stumptown that I would race a couple of times a year and occasionally use as a commuter. It was a really fun bike, but I've been getting pressured for a while to reduce the total count but always justified needing each of bikes.

We have a 19 year old neighbor that has spent a lot of time at our house for the last 10 years or so. He hasn't had an easy life, but he's now out of high school, working a crappy job and taking classes at the local community college. A few weeks ago he was helping me with some yardwork and asked for advice on buying a cheap bike to get to work, school, etc. I thought about it and offered him the bike in exchange for 7 full days of work on various house / yard projects. He has been coming by and busting his hump on some non-glamorous work I've had on my list for a while.

Yesterday the two of us went to a local place where you can use the bike shop / tools at an hourly rate and went over some of the basics. I taught him how to change a tire, clean the drivetrain, check the brakepads, etc. When we finished I made sure he had a proper fitting helmet and decent set of lights and handed it over to him along with some extra tubes and tires that he can use and were just lying around.

He dropped by around 10:00 last night, apologized for coming over so late, but said he had been out riding around all evening and couldn't wait to tell me how much he was enjoying it and say thank you again.

I really liked that bike and would have thought I'd miss it, but I don't think that's going to be the case seeing how happy it's making a kid I care about and knowing it's getting a lot more use and appreciation than I gave it. It's just an extra bonus that my wife is also grateful for clearing up a little more clutter. I wouldn't have thought n-1 would feel so good.

Mzilliox
04-16-2018, 04:23 PM
rad story. thanks for sharing.:banana:

livingminimal
04-16-2018, 04:23 PM
I got rid of my cross bike this weekend. I had a Mountain Cycles Stumptown that I would race a couple of times a year and occasionally use as a commuter. It was a really fun bike, but I've been getting pressured for a while to reduce the total count but always justified needing each of bikes.

We have a 19 year old neighbor that has spent a lot of time at our house for the last 10 years or so. He hasn't had an easy life, but he's now out of high school, working a crappy job and taking classes at the local community college. A few weeks ago he was helping me with some yardwork and asked for advice on buying a cheap bike to get to work, school, etc. I thought about it and offered him the bike in exchange for 7 full days of work on various house / yard projects. He has been coming by and busting his hump on some non-glamorous work I've had on my list for a while.

Yesterday the two of us went to a local place where you can use the bike shop / tools at an hourly rate and went over some of the basics. I taught him how to change a tire, clean the drivetrain, check the brakepads, etc. When we finished I made sure he had a proper fitting helmet and decent set of lights and handed it over to him along with some extra tubes and tires that he can use and were just lying around.

He dropped by around 10:00 last night, apologized for coming over so late, but said he had been out riding around all evening and couldn't wait to tell me how much he was enjoying it and say thank you again.

I really liked that bike and would have thought I'd miss it, but I don't think that's going to be the case seeing how happy it's making a kid I care about and knowing it's getting a lot more use and appreciation than I gave it. It's just an extra bonus that my wife is also grateful for clearing up a little more clutter. I wouldn't have thought n-1 would feel so good.

Best story. As someone who works with the homeless for a living, I know a bike can be a life changer for someone trying to make life happen.

Good on you for personally empowering someone for that same experience. You've changed his life, probably in more ways than you realize.

Thanks for sharing. Really appreciate it.

quickfeet
04-16-2018, 04:31 PM
This is something the forum needs more of!

fignon's barber
04-16-2018, 04:48 PM
Great post. This made MY day.:beer:

weisan
04-16-2018, 04:51 PM
It usually takes a month or two before it finally sink in and then the grieving process begins...

:D

Great story!

BlueFly
04-16-2018, 04:56 PM
What you may have lost with n-1 with bikes, you gained n+1^n for your friend. Well done Sir!

C50
04-16-2018, 05:01 PM
Well done sir, well done!!

BikeNY
04-16-2018, 05:04 PM
This is something the forum needs more of!

This^

Good for you!

mtechnica
04-16-2018, 05:05 PM
You're a good dude, dude.

zlin
04-16-2018, 05:06 PM
"He dropped by around 10:00 last night, apologized for coming over so late, but said he had been out riding around all evening and couldn't wait to tell me how much he was enjoying it and say thank you again."

well done!! sounds like a great thank you to me.

jpritchet74
04-16-2018, 05:15 PM
This story has totally made my day. Good vibes go a long way.

SlowPokePete
04-16-2018, 05:20 PM
Made my day, too.

So, you see, by doing what you did made a tremendous impact on your neighbor, by sharing what you did with us you made a whole bunch of other peoples' days as well.

Thank you for that...

SPP

pncguy
04-16-2018, 05:41 PM
Yeah, you didn't lose a bike. You made the world a slightly better place.

Nicely done!

:hello:

(and that emoji is "hello" but it looks more like clapping to me...)

ispy
04-16-2018, 06:13 PM
By far the best "news" I've read today. That bike's going to go places.

Hellgate
04-16-2018, 06:15 PM
Awesome story. Thank you for sharing.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

paredown
04-16-2018, 06:38 PM
Great story--thanks for sharing.

I'm delighted that you spent the time with him to "teach him to fish"--great that he will remember the lesson of work and reward, but also friendship and mentorship.

One of my good friends is still pals with a young lad that he let hang out BITD--he had a single mom and an unsettled home life. That hand of friendship probably saved the kid...

54ny77
04-16-2018, 06:59 PM
Awesome story. Thx. for the uplifting moment of the day.

Yes, there is good in the world.

nobuseri
04-16-2018, 07:02 PM
Sweet! Thanks for sharing.

veloduffer
04-16-2018, 07:21 PM
Great story- I hope the bike will help this kid find his way and provide a passion. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marciero
04-16-2018, 07:24 PM
Nice! The bike along with the guidance is a complete gift. I'm sure he appreciated that you were passing along something that you valued and had given you a lot of pleasure.