PDA

View Full Version : Godspeed

dbnm
04-16-2018, 01:17 PM
This looks really good

https://vimeo.com/257808830

ahsere
04-16-2018, 02:50 PM
That looks amazing... and by the look of it, the RAAM has become more professionalized, more like a regular race. I remember a similar documentary fro a few years back, Bicycle Dreams, and it felt/look like just a bunch of fascinating eccentrics doing it for the heck of it.

joev
04-16-2018, 11:02 PM
Arrrrggg....daughter's high school graduation night.

Maybe it will be out on Netflix later this summer?

I can't really get enough of seeing the limits that folks put themselves through. You can see it in a lot of places. Sometimes you see a first timer on a Saturday morning ride or maybe on one of those 100 mile charity rides. The folks around you can make a big difference in the outcome and experience.

No spoilers. I'll give them till September before I start searching archives for the placing of that team.

wc1934
04-17-2018, 08:20 AM
Thanks for sharing!!! Looks good.
They make it easy to purchase tickets too - just click thru to my amazon account.

MattTuck
04-17-2018, 08:40 AM
The movie looks interesting.

However, I am pretty ambivalent about RAAM in general. I get the allure of pushing one's limits, but the nature of the race begins to approach reckless disregard for the health of the athletes. Racing at night, sleep deprivation, extreme exertion...

I see it similar to how I see climbing Everest. Few people attempt it, and there are certainly some risks that they must be ok with, and accept as the 'cost of doing business'.

Difference is, Everest is in the Himalayas, and this race is done on public roads open to traffic, and I don't think they are side streets. Most of the footage I've seen seems to be state highways.