PDA

View Full Version : ...

cadence90
04-15-2018, 07:39 PM
.... ..

R3awak3n
04-15-2018, 07:41 PM
its a cool ad, my friend worked on it :)

cadence90
04-15-2018, 07:42 PM
.... ..

MattTuck
04-15-2018, 07:57 PM
Well, it is kind of strange that a french company selling a french product would latch on to him. Not sure if the campaign is just in the US. Certainly, cycling is bigger in france than here.

Still, would have been a better fit for a bourbon, IMO. Of course, this country has not been that great to athletes of color, so maybe an American company doesn't have the right to use his likeness.

cadence90
04-15-2018, 07:59 PM
.... ..

MattTuck
04-15-2018, 08:11 PM
"Hennessy is celebrating Taylor in its latest Wild Rabbit campaign, created in partnership with agency Droga5. Over the years, the body of work has featured celebrities and forgotten heroes alike, all of whom embody the brand’s “Never stop. Never settle” mantra."

Yes, I read that.

Clearly, he is deserving as a great athlete that has largely been forgotten. I'm just talking in general about a French product using an American cyclist from so long ago. If it gets people talking about him, and revisiting that aspect of history, then that is a good thing. full stop.

bikinchris
04-15-2018, 08:42 PM
There is supposed to be an upcoming ESPN 30 for 30 on Major Taylor.
We are many years overdue on a real movie on his life.

Marshall W. "Major" Taylor wasn't the greatest athlete of his day, he might be the greatest athlete of all time.
At one time, he was paid more than the entire Bronx Bombers lineup. People turned away from Madison Square Garden to watch him race were told to go catch a Dodgers or Yankees game.
He was one time world champion because of racism. After he won, they moved the Championship race to Sundays. Taylor refused to race on Sundays and they knew it. He would probably have been 12 time world champion. No one could hope to beat him if he was motivated. Riders would gang up to race against him. They would box him in, but he would do things like slap the rider in front with his front wheel and when the rider would wobble, he would shoot through the hole to go out front, and no one could catch him. He was a pioneer of cross training. He lived a life wherein he refused to answer hate with hate.

He was discriminated against unashamedly. He had nails thrown at his tires, bikes sabotaged and was even choked nearly to death by a rider who lost to him. No charges were filed. It wouldn't have done any good.
I urge all history buffs to read and research on this, the finest athlete to ever come out of America.

C50
04-15-2018, 08:55 PM
I think Major Taylor and his accomplishments deserve more recognition than he already gets in the world of cycling (the velodrome in Indianapolis being named after him being just one thing) but in the general context of history as well. Cognac has a long an interesting link to the African-American community in the USA and using Major Taylor makes sense in the context of that relationship. This is just one article that gives a quick overview of that history:

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/drink/2013/12/cognac_in_african_american_culture_the_long_histor y_of_black_consumption.html

cadence90
04-15-2018, 09:18 PM
.... ..

FlashUNC
04-15-2018, 10:16 PM
I hate to State the obvious, but Hennessey is enormously popular in the US in the African American community. It's why Nas has been their spokesperson for the last 5 years -- he narrates all the commercials -- and they highlight unheralded African Americans like Major Taylor in their ad campaigns.

It ain't French in the US.

Ttx1
04-16-2018, 05:29 AM
Come ride the George Street Challege...

http://www.majortaylorassociation.org/events/georgestreet18.shtml

marciero
04-16-2018, 06:10 AM
There is supposed to be an upcoming ESPN 30 for 30 on Major Taylor.
We are many years overdue on a real movie on his life.

Marshall W. "Major" Taylor wasn't the greatest athlete of his day, he might be the greatest athlete of all time.
At one time, he was paid more than the entire Bronx Bombers lineup. People turned away from Madison Square Garden to watch him race were told to go catch a Dodgers or Yankees game.
He was one time world champion because of racism. After he won, they moved the Championship race to Sundays. Taylor refused to race on Sundays and they knew it. He would probably have been 12 time world champion. No one could hope to beat him if he was motivated. Riders would gang up to race against him. They would box him in, but he would do things like slap the rider in front with his front wheel and when the rider would wobble, he would shoot through the hole to go out front, and no one could catch him. He was a pioneer of cross training. He lived a life wherein he refused to answer hate with hate.

He was discriminated against unashamedly. He had nails thrown at his tires, bikes sabotaged and was even choked nearly to death by a rider who lost to him. No charges were filed. It wouldn't have done any good.
I urge all history buffs to read and research on this, the finest athlete to ever come out of America.

Yes, a movie is long overdue. Hard to overstate his achievements, even had he not faced the constant racially motivated impediments and attacks. There are a few good books. When I first read about him I was struck by the fact that I had never heard of this athlete. Also striking was the enormous popularity of track cycling.

bikinchris
04-16-2018, 06:18 AM
Because of the stock market crash, Taylor died pretty much penniless.

Track cycling was far and away the most popular sport in the world at that time. The best bicycle racers in the world were from the USA. The world came here to test themselves against the best.
What a legacy lost.
The book "Hearts of Lions" details the US track scene. It's an amazing read. I knew nothing of the popularity of US cycling before this book.

marciero
04-16-2018, 06:28 AM
Because of the stock market crash, Taylor died pretty much penniless.

He also bet against pneumatic automobile tires, instead investing in some other competing (and inferior) tire/wheel design. But no doubt that his business opportunities were disadvantaged due to racism too.

colker
04-16-2018, 08:21 AM
Yes, Hennessy is paying for the ESPN documentary (but what the hell is a "BMX influencer Nigel Sylvester" and his commentary? :confused:), as well as a statue and some "cycling apparel". Who knows....

A real, serious film is a great idea, because the subject matter is fantastic.

Very hard to portray sports on movies. That´s what i hear from movie making producers and writers. No one knows exactly why.

MattTuck
04-16-2018, 08:35 AM
I hate to State the obvious, but Hennessey is enormously popular in the US in the African American community. It's why Nas has been their spokesperson for the last 5 years -- he narrates all the commercials -- and they highlight unheralded African Americans like Major Taylor in their ad campaigns.

It ain't French in the US.

Have to admit, I did not see the connection. Guess I need to get out in the world more. Thanks for pointing this out.

93KgBike
04-17-2018, 05:03 PM
its a cool ad, my friend worked on it :)

Awesome ad. Almost missed it by not owning TV! Tell your friend thanks. I've never seen an exciting bike historical TV ad, let alone the Major.

SlowPokePete
04-17-2018, 06:29 PM
Got kids? or not...

great picture book illustrated by James Ransome.

SPP

nighthawk
04-17-2018, 07:13 PM
Not forgotten at all.

Statue at the Worcester Public Library (where I once worked):

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f0/Worcester_Public_Library_-_Major_Taylor_-_panoramio_%28cropped%29.jpg/552px-Worcester_Public_Library_-_Major_Taylor_-_panoramio_%28cropped%29.jpg

And as mentioned, the George Street Challenge for Major Taylor (I used to live in the apartment half way up George Street and would watch the "race" from the roof top):

http://www.majortaylorassociation.org/events.shtml

http://www.majortaylorassociation.org/events/georgest06/slide1.jpg

mtechnica
04-17-2018, 07:27 PM
Major Taylor was a BAD ASS and if I were 1/10 as BAD ASS as this bad dude I'd be racing in the TDF this year.

R3awak3n
04-17-2018, 08:11 PM
Awesome ad. Almost missed it by not owning TV! Tell your friend thanks. I've never seen an exciting bike historical TV ad, let alone the Major.

I told him right away, that it was awesome. I do the same thing as he does and wish I had worked on this. I rarely do cycling commercial work. A couple of friends did some tour de france last year and I was jealous of that too :)

galgal
04-17-2018, 08:15 PM
What a nice ad - and thread! A film/doc about Major Taylor would be fantastic!
Might be going a little OT here but following Flash's comment on Hennessy's polularity with African-Americans which is spot on, would point out that there are myriad and deep, though often unacknowledged in the US, connections between African-Americans and France. For instance, the first organized military regiment comprised solely of African-Americans fought as part of the French Army in WWI. They disembarked in France and played the Marseillaise in ragtime. While they were not able to fight as part of the US Army, over 170 or so received France's highest Medal of Honor for their service and valor. I'll raise a glass of cognac to them and Major Taylor!

mtechnica
04-17-2018, 08:19 PM
They disembarked in France and played the Marseillaise in ragtime.

Man... I wish I could have been there to witness this. Amazing stuff. I'm humbled to think of the musical talent many of these guys had.

ceolwulf
04-17-2018, 10:29 PM
Great stuff.

Would love to learn more about Taylor. I see there's a few different books about him. Any one in particular recommended?

bikinchris
04-18-2018, 06:54 AM
Great stuff.

Would love to learn more about Taylor. I see there's a few different books about him. Any one in particular recommended?

They are all good, but I started with Taylor's own "The Fastest Bicycle Rider in the World." Then I moved on to other books.