PDA

View Full Version : Caliper rub with newer Campy brakes

cgolvin
04-15-2018, 04:42 PM
A friend has some HED3 Stinger tubulars for sale and let me try them. After some back and forth I decided it would be easier to get a backup set of calipers with carbon-compatible pads than hassle with swapping, and thanks to Nigel & Clean39T got a nice newer set of Chorus 11s. Mounted 'em up Friday night on my Ottrott and thought all was good, but as I prepared to head out to lead Saturday's ride I noticed that the tires were rubbing against the bottom of the caliper (the wheels have Conti 25s on them). Confirmed that my clinchers (WI, H Plus Son, Vittoria 25s) exhibited the same problem. WTH?

Is this a known issue? Anyone else experienced it? My pre-2011 Record calipers with my clinchers have at least 5mm of clearance; not sure the exact vintage of the Chorus calipers but they have the newer style brake shoes with the clip.

Separately, has anyone mounted later model brake shoes on older model calipers? Any compatibility issues there?

Thanks

tab123
04-15-2018, 05:48 PM
I had a similar issue with 2013 Record brakes and tubeless tires on HED rims. The tires rubbed the bottom of the caliper, particularly the front tire. I switched to 2017 Chorus brakes and have had no problems since.

skiezo
04-15-2018, 05:59 PM
On my one ride I have 2015 chorus and I am running a set of HED stinger5 and veloflex 25mm and have no issue. I have about 4/5mm of space.
It almost sounds like a issue with your fork.

David Kirk
04-15-2018, 06:02 PM
The Campy dual pivot brakes have very limited head-room. Swapping to the single pivot will buy you some room.

dave

lhuerta
04-15-2018, 06:11 PM
....keep in mind that Continental tires are well known for having the tallest profile compared with tires from other manufactures that have same width but much lower profile. Try some Vitt or Veloflex tires on the same rim and you will find the needed clearance to avoid replacing calipers not to mention, a much more economical solution)

cgolvin
04-15-2018, 06:35 PM
The Campy dual pivot brakes have very limited head-room. Swapping to the single pivot will buy you some room.

dave

Thanks Dave. My Record brakes are dual pivot front and the HED wheel has plenty of clearance. Does your comment apply only to newer model dual pivots or in general?

....keep in mind that Continental tires are well known for having the tallest profile compared with tires from other manufactures that have same width but much lower profile. Try some Vitt or Veloflex tires on the same rim and you will find the needed clearance to avoid replacing calipers not to mention, a much more economical solution)

Granted they're on Archetype clinchers, but the Vittoria G+ Corsas on there also rubbed so I'm skeptical that swapping brand of tubulars would do the trick.

Basso69
04-15-2018, 07:14 PM
Had the same problem with Bora clinchers and continental 25. On my Ottrott. Invested in a set of ee brakes, lots of clearance no more problems.

cgolvin
04-15-2018, 07:22 PM
Had the same problem with Bora clinchers and continental 25. On my Ottrott. Invested in a set of ee brakes, lots of clearance no more problems.

Good to know, thanks.
Expensive fix, but I could see it for Boras.