PDA

View Full Version : The quintessential college bicycle…

Kevan
10-14-2006, 04:44 PM
First off, my apologies for starting this new thread; I had spent several minutes searching and scrolling trying to find the thread that had been started on this very subject about a week ago, but alas it or I are lost. So with that, on with the show…

Yup, ladies and gentlemen, this here is the quintessential college bicycle and for those of you who have been wondering what one looks like and where one might find such a wonder, let me help you. First, a short story. My daughter called me early this past week at the office and told me she had found a bicycle. Well, my heart almost burst with pride, let me tell you. “Yes dear... what about this bike?”, I asked. She then went on to tell me that she and her friends had spied it, left out on at the curb with someone’s garbage (Hence, this is where you find college bicycles.), and asked that since it was on my way home from work, could I stop and pick it up and bring it home. She gave me the details of its location and a general description of its character and condition. I sighed and she sensing my frustration that just more crap was being brought home. She went on to explain that she wanted a bike that she could simply lash to a lamppost and when heading for a class it would be there for her to take. The bike would be neglected, spend its time out in the elements and probably spend most of its time with under-inflated tires and a scraping chain guard. She went on to say she couldn’t and wouldn’t do this to her Olmo, which I most heartily agreed to, and so I relinquished and brought home and fixed the said bicycle. Here it is:

Umm, please note the missing front fender, that’s important for a college bicycle.

Kevan
10-14-2006, 04:45 PM
Thank you. Now we now know where to find a college bicycle, but what are the characteristics one should look for in such a bike? Let me help. What we have here is the rear axle of the said bike. Let me note that that nut you see on the rear axle is a 3/8ths fine threaded nut. I stopped by my local bicycle shop, they gave it to me for free. I installed it. That completed the bicycle’s repair, but for cleaning and thorough oil soak of the chain. I think the thing is still dripping oil, in fact, I know it is. What other characteristics to look for? Well, here’s a dead ringer… note that the spokes have completely oxidized and not one of them has the tension of its neighbor. It was dumb luck to find it with a spoke reflector.

Kevan
10-14-2006, 04:48 PM
Thank you. Here we see the handlebars. I call this picture “College Bars”, my daughter doesn’t get it. What has happened to our upper education system?

Anyway, I digress… note simply that the bar’s chrome has assumed the proper patina.

Kevan
10-14-2006, 04:49 PM
My! We must be in a hurry. Anyway this slide shows the bike’s substantial bottom bracket area. You don’t think I’d send my daughter off with a limp-noodle bike do you???

Kevan
10-14-2006, 04:50 PM
Geesh! Sorry. This slide isn’t very good, but I just wanted to point out how handy it is to have the bike’s serial number pressed into the headtube for easy reading.

Kevan
10-14-2006, 04:51 PM
Next. NEXT!!! Thank you…

The saddle. The saddle is the only item that didn’t come original with the bike. Thanks to Sandy he made it possible for my daughter to ride this bike. He warned me that on his Ottrott this saddle cut into him like an axe, but out of the goodness of his heart gave it to me, for my daughter. You likely noted the substantial suspension system the saddle has from the prior slides.

Kevan
10-14-2006, 04:52 PM
Anyone?

Frankwurst
10-14-2006, 05:02 PM
A front fender and a rack/basket and this would be a fine piece of college cruisin,2 wheeled,pedal drivin transportation. Kudos to your daughter for pickin up on it. :beer:

Kevan
10-14-2006, 05:11 PM
The shifting frickin' works! Didn't need to do a damned thing. We'll see how long THAT lasts.

Basket... HELL! She uses a messenger bag. I brought her up right.

Front fender? Anymore attractive, it'll catch a thief's eye. Nope, I've invested enough in this bike.

I also forgot to mention it has vintage tires. I know... you want one. Don't you?

spiderlake
10-14-2006, 05:18 PM
That bike rocks. It reminds me of a similar bike that has been leaning against a tree down the road for weeks. No lock and no apparent owner. I think I'll take a closer look next time I'm down that road.

Frankwurst
10-14-2006, 10:56 PM
The shifting frickin' works! Didn't need to do a damned thing. We'll see how long THAT lasts.

Basket... HELL! She uses a messenger bag. I brought her up right.

Front fender? Anymore attractive, it'll catch a thief's eye. Nope, I've invested enough in this bike.

I also forgot to mention it has vintage tires. I know... you want one. Don't you?

I didn't say matching front fender and I didn't know by the tone of my post you could detect my desire. It is indeed a fine specimen of modern transportation. :beer:

bironi
10-15-2006, 01:34 AM
so funkadelic, it's safe on any campus. :beer:

Kevan
10-15-2006, 06:32 AM
so funkadelic, it's safe on any campus. :beer:

I would agree. Maybe I shouldn't of cleaned her; what a grimy mess she was. The frame itself is full of scuffs and scratches, staying the course of its quintessence, but the rear fender absolutely glistens. Go figure.

Too Tall
10-15-2006, 07:05 AM
Kev, you done her proud son...me likey. Drop into the local thrash shop and pick up a few stickers...anything alluding to morbidity and or food works. The lock should be a master lock for gym lockers, you know the dial kind 'cuase it will rust nicely and match her bike anything else would cost much more than the bikes worth and that will spoil the party. Hmmm what else? Oh gosh maybe for a stocking stuffer a few troll doll thingees to paste on the fender. Yeah, I like it ;)

Sandy
10-15-2006, 07:13 AM
Your daughter certainly is in need of an education. But the college education must wait. She needs to receive a bicycle education first. No need to use a discarded bicycle to ride around the college campus. Not my buddy's daughter! We all know how much you enjoy your Calfee and your Serotta- Prime examples that a little extra money brings you the happiness and enjoyment that you so richly deserve.

I feel that it is time for me to talk to your daughter about the value of owning a wonderful riding custom bicycle (or 2 or 3), just like her loving dad. I will emphasize that her dad wants her to be happy just like he is, and he is most willing to open up his heart, and more importantly his wallet, to provide that little extra something special for her college days.

Now just what is her phone number?? :rolleyes: :)

Sandy

Kevan
10-15-2006, 07:28 AM
You're right on about the master lock. I also need to find a stretch of rusted chain to complete the effect. I'll get right on it. Thanks.

Kevan
10-15-2006, 07:35 AM
Oh, she still has her Olmo kept safe and clean tucked under her bed, of all places, for when she wants to break out a real ride.

As for her number... you know us dad's, it's programed into our cell phones so we don't have to remember. But looky pal... I've got your number and all it would take is one little ringy-dingy to the authorities. If you catch my drift.

DavidK
10-15-2006, 07:40 AM
Bike of the year!

And to think of the money we've spent on our Serotta's!

texbike
10-15-2006, 08:16 AM
There is something to be said for a beater that you can take anywhere and leave it or ride in any condition. It's raining and foggy here in Austin this morning. My only ride today will be the one I just took to the store in a misting rain for the morning paper on my old beater Raleigh 3 speed. It's actually a bit charming to ride the old girl in the conditions it was built for. Now if those old brakes would just stop the thing when its wet out. :)

Good times!

Texbike