PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help me with 11 speed?

belopsky
04-15-2018, 07:50 AM
I am rebuilding my Gunnar Crosshairs as a flat bar 11 speed. I have my choices of SRAM or Shimano. Other than a SRAM 11speed chain and a crankset, I don't have any other parts.

Thoughts/suggestions? I know I can't mix Shimano shifters and SRAM derailleurs. My other bikes are all Shimano/Microshift.

The plan for this bike is a flat bar gravel bike maybe some easy single track. I have a Kelly Knobby X that I built up as a sub 20lb go-fast w/ 11speed 5/6800..

Also, I'd rather not spend a lot of money if that's possible.

FWIW, the crank is a Ritchey Logic (older, square taper) with either 9/10 rings or 11 (ramped,pinned) rings, both from Origin 8.

colker
04-15-2018, 07:56 AM
Do you REALLY like flat bars? Ime flat bars punish the wrists when riding off road.
I would like to try moustache or something w/ any bend that would my grip somewhere diff. than a flat bar.

belopsky
04-15-2018, 07:58 AM
Yeah they're actually the Jones (no loop) bars so not truly flat.

colker
04-15-2018, 08:00 AM
Yeah they're actually the Jones (no loop) bars so not truly flat.

Excellent choice.

belopsky
04-15-2018, 08:09 AM
Should I just go 1x Shimano? SLX maybe?

oldpotatoe
04-15-2018, 08:14 AM
I am rebuilding my Gunnar Crosshairs as a flat bar 11 speed. I have my choices of SRAM or Shimano. Other than a SRAM 11speed chain and a crankset, I don't have any other parts.

Thoughts/suggestions? I know I can't mix Shimano shifters and SRAM derailleurs. My other bikes are all Shimano/Microshift.

The plan for this bike is a flat bar gravel bike maybe some easy single track. I have a Kelly Knobby X that I built up as a sub 20lb go-fast w/ 11speed 5/6800..

Also, I'd rather not spend a lot of money if that's possible.

FWIW, the crank is a Ritchey Logic (older, square taper) with either 9/10 rings or 11 (ramped,pinned) rings, both from Origin 8.

Pretty hard to beat shifters like these..match to some appropriate ders..go ride.

RS-700

For right below. I agree:)

colker
04-15-2018, 08:16 AM
Should I just go 1x Shimano? SLX maybe?

Front derrailleurs are light efficient and preserve your chain and cassette from bad chainlines.
Imo 1x is a trend as bad as any bad fashion trend can be.

belopsky
04-15-2018, 08:21 AM
Pretty hard to beat shifters like these..match to some appropriate ders..go ride.

RS-700

For right below. I agree:)
Yeah, I've seen these and actually ordered a set (but then sent cancellation) because I decided to use my 5800 shifters for a different bike.

This is just me trudging through this but I could convert my Jones to single speed and take the SLX/XT parts off that and run my Gunnar as a 1x for a bit...