PDA

View Full Version : Can I do much better than Hed c2 or Pacenti?

booglebug
04-14-2018, 07:52 PM
As the title states, is there much else out there that top these two? Currently ride both rims laced 24-28 to White Ind. hubs, 175 lb rider with lots of climbing.
Have read about rims till I’m totally confused. Bought some Pacenti hubs from a forum member and looking for another build, would like to stay alloy clincher.

hollowgram5
04-14-2018, 07:55 PM
Pacenti forzas are nice (they replaced sl23 which had some issues according to some people). Hed c2 and + are great rims. Boyd Altamont can be had in a ceramic braking surface for that blacked out look or regular rim for substantially less.

Really boils to personal preference, but all those are good rims.

Bruce K
04-14-2018, 07:56 PM
Have you checked our our sponsors?

Next Wheels or choices from Ergott?

BK

R3awak3n
04-14-2018, 08:06 PM
Boyd boyd boyd boyd. Really love mine

booglebug
04-14-2018, 08:18 PM
Thanks but build my wheels, just trying to source rims and spokes. Will be doing 2x both front and rear

beeatnik
04-14-2018, 08:19 PM
Boyd boyd boyd boyd. Really love mine

This.

MaraudingWalrus
04-14-2018, 08:49 PM
Love the Boyd rims I build with. The ceramics are super nifty.

Also I really dig the new open pro, for what it's worth.

Mzilliox
04-14-2018, 09:13 PM
Boyd altamonts come to mind?

Tony
04-14-2018, 10:27 PM
I have the Hed c2, Pacenti, and Boyd Altamonts Lites. I like the Boyd's. It has a 19.86mm internal width and is 435 grams. Lighter compared to the new Pacenti Forza, 20mm internal and 480 grams, and the Hed C2 Plus, 20.61mm, 475 grams.
Both the old and new versions of the Altamonts have been very durable rims for me. Also like the updated graphics "water transfer decal baked into the rim" a little more stealthy and not so loud as the old.

ergott
04-15-2018, 06:46 AM
If you already have one of the above rims on your hubs, switching won't really change much. They are all excellent rims. Weights and width are very similar.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

oldpotatoe
04-15-2018, 06:48 AM
As the title states, is there much else out there that top these two? Currently ride both rims laced 24-28 to White Ind. hubs, 175 lb rider with lots of climbing.
Have read about rims till I’m totally confused. Bought some Pacenti hubs from a forum member and looking for another build, would like to stay alloy clincher.

Good rims and I'd add DT411. Really excellent and very light.
Velocity as well..I've built many A23 with great results.

BTW-you are the builder and your wheels but I'd do 3 cross for a 28h rear...

weisan
04-15-2018, 07:09 AM
If you already have one of the above rims on your hubs, switching won't really change much. They are all excellent rims. Weights and width are very similar.

Truth

oldpotatoe
04-15-2018, 07:45 AM

Bought some Pacenti hubs from a forum member and looking for another build, would like to stay alloy clincher.

Think he's looking to build a set of wheels with these hubs./not switch rims on an existing wheelset. Again DT411..OC rear, really nice rims.

https://www.dtswiss.com/en/products/rims/road/performance/rr-411/

ergott
04-15-2018, 08:35 AM
Ahh, gotcha. Yes, DT in same league and really nice too.

stien
04-15-2018, 08:59 AM
I like the Belgium Plus over the older C2 version.

mcteague
04-15-2018, 10:06 AM
My newest wheels were built by November Bicycles using Easton R90SL rims and they seem really nice, no complaints. I like the look of the all black rims but not the special pads and their rapid wear.

Tim

Mzilliox
04-15-2018, 10:33 AM
Im not sure what everyone's braking technique is but this talk about pads wearing fast i have not seen very much. its maybe marginally faster. I guess i dont stop often enough...

R3awak3n
04-15-2018, 11:14 AM
Im not sure what everyone's braking technique is but this talk about pads wearing fast i have not seen very much. its maybe marginally faster. I guess i dont stop often enough...

specially on the ceramic wheels. I read a lot about pads wearing fast but I am still on my first set of pads on that bike (pads probably have 1000 miles) and they still have A LOT to go.

I guess it depends on conditions and how much braking people do. I guess I don't brake a lot either :eek:

booglebug
04-15-2018, 12:12 PM
The ceramic Altamont looks cool but a bit beefy at 490 grams. How does the coating on the brake track hold up?

simonov
04-15-2018, 03:15 PM
Think he's looking to build a set of wheels with these hubs./not switch rims on an existing wheelset. Again DT411..OC rear, really nice rims.

https://www.dtswiss.com/en/products/rims/road/performance/rr-411/

Another vote for DT. They don't seem to get as much love on forums and whatnot, but they make a great rim.

Kirk Pacenti
04-15-2018, 03:48 PM

I'm out of town for the Sea Otter, but feel free to call after the 24th. I'd be happy to discuss with you.

R3awak3n
04-15-2018, 04:20 PM
The ceramic Altamont looks cool but a bit beefy at 490 grams. How does the coating on the brake track hold up?

the altamont lite ceramics weight much less but they are less deep. Both the altamont lites and the altamonts are comparable to other brands in terms of weight.

The track coat on mine have been holding very well but I have been using the wheels for road only.

Tony
04-15-2018, 05:27 PM

For a "rider with lots of climbing" I agree, beefy. Nice to have light weight rims, wide rims also, big plus for me.
The ceramic Altamonts lites are 445 grams and come with Swissstop BXP Brake pads.

velotrack
04-15-2018, 06:59 PM
hard pass on pacenti rims from me. would rather ride half-cost h son archetypes than the cracking holes of pacenti rims any day of the week. my pair of sl23's (V2) cracked just a couple hundred miles after being professionally built... must have something to do with my 140lb body. can someone check the weight limit on em?

:bike:

booglebug
04-15-2018, 09:21 PM
hard pass on pacenti rims from me. would rather ride half-cost h son archetypes than the cracking holes of pacenti rims any day of the week. my pair of sl23's (V2) cracked just a couple hundred miles after being professionally built... must have something to do with my 140lb body. can someone check the weight limit on em?

:bike:

Have rode archetypes also, nice rims but have had no problems with my two sets of sl23s. May go with the Altamont ceramic extra lite, thanks for everyone’s input, really hadn’t thought about Boyd until now.

m4rk540
04-15-2018, 09:48 PM
Archetypes are the In N Out Burger of rims. The best flavor to price ratio in the industry. Of course, there are many people who just can't enjoy a burger unless it's properly marketed and offered at $18 plus.

jtbadge
04-15-2018, 10:01 PM
Archetypes are the In N Out Burger of rims. The best flavor to price ratio in the industry. Of course, there are many people who just can't enjoy a burger unless it's properly marketed and offered at $18 plus.

Archetypes are truly the value king. Stiff, wide, cheap, easy to build up. I have three sets!

saab2000
04-16-2018, 03:23 AM
Archetypes aren't actually very wide. Look at internal width and they're 17.5, like a lot of other supposedly wide rims.

I'm a big fan of wider clinchers and I've had good success with Pacenti. I have a set of Forza rims that have been great. The advantage is the asymmetrical drilling on the rear, which will make for a stronger wheel by allowing much more even tension between the drive and the non-drive sides. Much wider brake track than before as well.

I would buy them again.

R3awak3n
04-16-2018, 05:18 AM
I agree on the archtype being great and a good deal. I keep waiting for h plus som to update them to tubeless and a little wider.... or if thy made a ceramic version...

ripvanrando
04-16-2018, 05:53 AM
In Aluminum? I like both HED Belgium Plus and A23. I prefer HED Plus.

In Carbon? Zipp 303 or 404. Flo 60 or 45 are virtually indestructible