PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with your phone on a ride??

skiezo
04-14-2018, 04:10 PM
I am looking for options on what to do with my phone on rides. I put it in a rear pocket most of the time but am afraid of it flying out. I dont use it as a nav device most of the times. Just looking for other options and what others use.

OtayBW
04-14-2018, 04:12 PM
https://silca.cc/collections/packs/products/borsa-americana-essentials-bag

Nice piece. Caught it on sale last Fall.

Tickdoc
04-14-2018, 04:20 PM
Rapha essentials leather case. Holds my phone, some cards and some cash easily and stays in a back pocket well. Holds a passport too if you travel.

MattTuck
04-14-2018, 04:24 PM
Freezer ziplock bag. Seem to hold up pretty well. Keeps it sweat free, but is not easy to deal with if I get a call or need to look at something.

Never had it come out of a back pocket. The one thing I keep telling myself is that I should photocopy my important cards (license, health insurance card) and laminate them, and then just bring a few bills and those, instead of my whole wallet.

peanutgallery
04-14-2018, 04:35 PM
No phone on the ride, totally untethered

Bentley
04-14-2018, 04:36 PM
Don't need the phone with the Apple Watch 3

tculbreath
04-14-2018, 04:38 PM
Pocket....every time and never had an issue with it popping out. Event when i'm getting crazy on my MTB.

GregL
04-14-2018, 04:39 PM
Jersey pocket in a ziplock - with the ringer OFF. I use the Road ID app to keep my family aware of my location. Never worried about it flying out.

Greg

Cicli
04-14-2018, 04:44 PM

Oh, yeah.

azrider
04-14-2018, 04:49 PM
In a ziplock bag, jersey pocket

joosttx
04-14-2018, 05:20 PM
Put it in my jersey pocket. Iphones are waterproof. Right?

joosttx
04-14-2018, 05:21 PM

And I thought it was just on the internet. :) Rock on my brother.

rnhood
04-14-2018, 05:32 PM
I have an iPhone 6, and it's in a Lifeproof case which makes it waterproof. I carry it in my back jersey pocket and it never even attempts to come out. My opinion is that you are perfectly safe putting it in your jersey pocket, especially in a case such as the Lifeproof which gives it some friction so it doesn't slide. And it adds waterproofness. It's the way to go.

kramnnim
04-14-2018, 05:37 PM
In my right hand so I can stay current on snapchat :banana:

Pre iPhone 7, I kept phone in a plastic baggie with credit card, spare 2032 batteries, pills, etc. I've been keeping the 7 outside the bag since it is somewhat waterproof. Would take a lot of bouncing for it to fly out of the pocket.

fogrider
04-14-2018, 06:16 PM
my moto is listed as water resistant and I have it a silicone case (which does not fully cover it)...have you had something fall out of your rear pocket?

type2sam
04-14-2018, 06:22 PM
Snack-size ziplock here. Usually settles into the center rear pocket horizontally.

CSKeller
04-14-2018, 07:02 PM
In my pocket...got a Pixel 2 XL in a LifeProof case. No issues...unless I have a jacket on, then it is difficult to pull out of my jersey pocket.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

R3awak3n
04-14-2018, 07:13 PM
new phones are waterproof now so I just throw it in the jersey pocket, done.

chuckroast
04-14-2018, 07:14 PM
Zip loc bag in center jersey pocket. I also carry an expired DL for ID so I don't have to worry about transferring it back to my wallet when finished. I've never even considered that the phone would somehow come out in a fall. Seems unlikely.

charliedid
04-14-2018, 07:34 PM
I put it in a wool sleeve and it usually goes in a bag of some sort attached to my bike. If not it's in my jersey pocket but I almost always have a bag. I only use it if I stop for something else. I don't stop to check the phone unless something super urgent is afoot but then I probably wouldn't be on a "ride" besides a commute. I turn the ringer off...

zlin
04-14-2018, 07:35 PM

Same for this guy.

charliedid
04-14-2018, 07:35 PM
new phones are waterproof now so I just throw it in the jersey pocket, done.

That's a good point. Unless it's pouring rain....I mean I have a 7+ but how water resistant is it really?

godfrey1112000
04-14-2018, 07:38 PM
You carry a phone 📱

My tin can and strings do not get past the end of the driveway

unterhausen
04-14-2018, 07:41 PM
on my road bike, handlebar bag, usually in a ziplock. Otherwise in a jersey pocket. I don't see how it would fall out, I don't overload my pockets.

I had somehow managed to allow some apps to give me notifications. I turned them all off after one particularly annoying ride. Yellow pages got uninstalled, not sure that I installed that one in the first place.

chazzwazzer
04-14-2018, 07:44 PM
I put it in a small Jandd frame bag usually (come at me). Never have stuff poking me in the back or getting sweated on, stuff won't fly out if I yardsale, and it's out of the rain under the top tube. Ugly, but works great.

HenryA
04-14-2018, 07:51 PM
On the kitchen table where it belongs.

john903
04-14-2018, 08:21 PM
I can't take it with me it is plugged into the wall.

eric01
04-14-2018, 08:29 PM
Ziplock bag. Anything more is extravagance

Seramount
04-14-2018, 10:03 PM
on the charger in the bedroom...

GOTHBROOKS
04-14-2018, 10:41 PM
strawfoot riding wallet.

tmarcus1076
04-14-2018, 11:48 PM
Jerseybin.com

sitzmark
04-15-2018, 01:36 AM
iP7 w/thin bumper case - center jersey pocket.
Not worried about H2O and have been through some long sustained rains (2-4 hours) with no issues. Can usually turn horizontal and "wedge" in pocket so fabric stretch retains it. Problem arises when using center pocket for vest, jacket, or other items for seasonal event/long rides - pulling items out can also pull phone with them.

Have a couple of older jerseys that have zipper pocket associated with center pocket .... sized for iP4/5 like phones. #worthless for current generation phones which seem to always get bigger. :( Not easy to find newer jerseys with larger zip pocket, especially since I don't do hot well and like sleeveless over 70/75*F. Older (smaller) phones fit in "half bottle" storage options like Specialized Keg and stuffed in a cage.

Bflath
04-15-2018, 02:40 AM
Snack-size ziplock here. Usually settles into the center rear pocket horizontally.

Me too.

KonaSS
04-15-2018, 05:01 AM
Center jersey pocket. Ziplock if there is a chance of rain. Always carry $5 or $10 folded up in between the phone and the phone cover. That has saved me a couple times when I forgot to bring money.

saab2000
04-15-2018, 05:13 AM

Same. I plug it in so it is fully charged when I get home.

It is unbelievably annoying to have people respond to texts and/or calls on a ride. Don’t t be that rider.

johnniecakes
04-15-2018, 05:20 AM

Same here

peanutgallery
04-15-2018, 06:37 AM
I play golf occasionally with a group and that will get your phone tossed in the water, literally

Been tempted to go there on a ride

It is unbelievably annoying to have people respond to texts and/or calls on a ride. Don’t t be that rider.

993rs
04-15-2018, 06:45 AM

This.

skiezo
04-15-2018, 06:47 AM
So it sounds like the rear pocket it is.

jwalther
04-15-2018, 06:47 AM
https://silca.cc/collections/packs/products/borsa-americana-essentials-bag

Nice piece. Caught it on sale last Fall.

It is, I really like mine. You could buy a lifetime supply of ziplocs for the price, but you wouldn't look nearly as good.

oldpotatoe
04-15-2018, 07:09 AM

Good for you!!...I put mine in a zip lock..it's never come out even on dirt roads...I have one 'just in case' but where I ride..I'm sure I could find a phone..never in the badlands or anything..

yakstone
04-15-2018, 09:13 AM
Mine is turned off but with me just in case. I carry it in an Etsy phone wallet that I purchased from a fellow on this forum some years ago. Has room for ID and folding $$ and is pretty much waterproof.

Red Tornado
04-15-2018, 09:23 AM
Dry conditions: Jersey pocket w/screen facing away from my back.
Wet (or possibly wet) conditions: Same as above but with phone inside a Ziploc bag.
Simple & (almost) free.
Also, my phone fits all the way in jersey pockets; never had one fall/bounce out even with a few MTB crashes.

sandyrs
04-15-2018, 09:30 AM
I bought the Silca phone wallet when it launched. It’s total overkill. It is so tall that it sticks out of the top of some jersey pockets. It’s definitely secure though. And for a while I had an iPhone with a failing battery that would shut down in the cold- in the Silca wallet it stayed warm longer and wouldn’t die on winter rides.

I got the battery replaced though and now it’s back to a ziploc.

ripvanrando
04-15-2018, 09:35 AM
ziplock but mostly because it keeps the cash dry.....nothing worse than handing over wet bills

Ozz
04-15-2018, 09:52 AM
Freezer ziplock bag. Seem to hold up pretty well. Keeps it sweat free, but is not easy to deal with if I get a call or need to look at something.

Never had it come out of a back pocket. The one thing I keep telling myself is that I should photocopy my important cards (license, health insurance card) and laminate them, and then just bring a few bills and those, instead of my whole wallet.

+1 - ziplock bag and it stays in my back pocket

I keep an expired license in my seat pouch along with about $20

biker72
04-15-2018, 09:53 AM
Another vote for ziplock. Keeps everything dry just in case of a pop up rain shower. The phone is mainly for emergencies but in unfamiliar areas I'll use Google Maps to navigate. Much bigger screen than my Garmin.

DreaminJohn
04-15-2018, 10:32 AM
I keep an expired license in my seat pouch along with about $20

This, along with my TURNED OFF phone in some bubble wrap fits in the saddle bag. It's my version of being disconnected but prepared for emergencies.

Serious question for all of you "leave it at home" peeps: I absolutely understand the need to feel disconnected and free on a ride, but how does one mitigate the potential downside? I'm not just talking about accidents and/or injuries. What if the impossible happens and you get stranded by a Mr. Squirrel incident or the like?

Peace.

colker
04-15-2018, 11:08 AM
Serious question for all of you "leave it at home" peeps: I absolutely understand the need to feel disconnected and free on a ride, but how does one mitigate the potential downside? I'm not just talking about accidents and/or injuries. What if the impossible happens and you get stranded by a Mr. Squirrel incident or the like?

Peace.

And how do you take pictures to post on "pictures of my rides" threads which are mandatory on every road cycling forum? Carry a Nikon F film camera?

zap
04-15-2018, 11:09 AM
Zippy placed in left rear pocket. Phone is off on group and/or tandem rides.......and most single rides. Not willing to take a chance with possible health concerns.....especially when phone is roaming for signals mode.

Seramount
04-15-2018, 11:56 AM

have 5 decades of riding experience without a phone (cells simply didn't exist for most of that time).

as far as being stranded, have had to walk a few miles a couple of times, had to thumb a ride once...that's the extent of my 'horror' stories.

granted, I have more than a slight aversion to phones, but people that have to have constant interaction with these devices are truly bizarre to me.

Tony T
04-15-2018, 12:15 PM
I have a 5SE, and even this smaller iPhone fits snug in my back pocket.
I keep a zip lock in my saddle bag in case of rain.

ripvanrando
04-15-2018, 12:39 PM
This, along with my TURNED OFF phone in some bubble wrap fits in the saddle bag. It's my version of being disconnected but prepared for emergencies.

Peace.

I don't always take the phone and years ago, nobody had phones. This is what I did....when stuff happens w/o phone. I think I needed "rescue" 3 or maybe 4 times that I can remember.

I had altitude sickness on the top of Trail Ridge in the midst of a touch of a snowstorm, a pickup saw me blowing chow and the kind fellow gave me a ride down lowered where I belonged.

A pretzeled wheel at 45 mph and several layers of clothing and skin later, a guy let me hop into his trailered boat and he hauled me back to my hotel.

A broken freewheel? Went into the bar and an 85 year old Frenchman walked me to a bike shop (in France).

Usually, just fix whatever happens although a broken frame (531) needed more tools than I had.

I've flagged down motorists for water many times in the dessert or very remote, hot areas. They always help.

In heavily ridden areas, fellow cyclists would help.....I know I always ask broken down cyclists if they need anything. One needed a tube once and I have him mine.

The downside is mitigated by the goodness of your fellow man or woman. A local internationally ranked female racer recently stopped and offered to fix my flat tire....that is when you know you are really old.

Bradford
04-15-2018, 12:48 PM
Don't need the phone with the Apple Watch 3

This is the answer. The Apple watch 3 works as a phone and runs Strava, so no phone required.

My phone stays on my bench in the garage and I just wear the watch...which I don't use for calls unless an emergency.

DreaminJohn
04-15-2018, 01:08 PM
I don't always take the phone and years ago, nobody had phones. This is what I did....when stuff happens w/o phone. I think I needed "rescue" 3 or maybe 4 times that I can remember.

The downside is mitigated by the goodness of your fellow man or woman. A local internationally ranked female racer recently stopped and offered to fix my flat tire....that is when you know you are really old.

Dude, I LOVE this answer. I wish I shared your worldview - I guess living in NJ for the majority of my life has greatly discolored mine.

Thanks.

merlinmurph
04-15-2018, 01:15 PM
Back pocket, sometimes in a plastic bag.

Just because my phone is in my back pocket doesn't mean I use it. But, it's there in case I need it, and I'll take a pic every once in awhile. Believe me, seeing people tethered to their phone is extremely annoying to me, but I don't ignore it's usefulness, especially if I'm in unfamiliar territory.

oldpotatoe
04-15-2018, 01:53 PM
ziplock but mostly because it keeps the cash dry.....nothing worse than handing over wet bills

I had a lady REFUSE to take my $10 bill once cuz it was a little ‘damp’....I walked out without paying, kept the really good cherry pie...dared this twit to call the cops....

hokoman
04-15-2018, 02:12 PM
This is a pic on my xtracycle, but I have one of these on my main road bike since I usually cruise around in street clothes and don't like my phone in my pocket. It is a hondo garage mount that someone here posted a while back.

ptourkin
04-15-2018, 02:28 PM
Jersey pocket without a bag unless it's pouring. 8-10k a year and it has been fine. With Samsung pay, I can use it in any convenience store, so don't need an atm card for food emergencies or coffee stops.

Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to answer or look at it. Good to have for directions and potential emergencies. Owning one and not carrying it (or retrogrouch bragging about that) is just silliness. As someone who has handled personal injury cases, pics are good.

Avispa
04-15-2018, 03:58 PM
I am looking for options on what to do with my phone on rides. I put it in a rear pocket most of the time but am afraid of it flying out. I dont use it as a nav device most of the times. Just looking for other options and what others use.

For Christ sake! What do you have for a phone? I keep my iPhone 8 on my center back pocket and there is no way it will ever "fly out". Most people I see riding around here do the same. I do not have a bag or anything crazy covering the phone. I use a glass protector for the screen and one of those new OtterBox cases: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HLNJ2ZM/A/otterbox-statement-series-case-for-iphone-8-7?fnode=99&fs=f%3Diphone8-otterbox%26fh%3D458b%252B4957%252B33bc, although I have used the Apple Silicone cases with no problem. I have also been caught on heavy rain and nothing has happened to the phone.

I was told by someone at Apple that it is best not to enclose their phones in bags or super heavy cases, as this it will make the phone generate more heat, which is not good for battery life. And we all know about battery issues with Apple, right? ;-)

I also use a Bose earphone on one ear and answer phone calls or listen to music if/when I want to.

weisan
04-15-2018, 04:01 PM
http://alicehui.com/bike/rides/Willowcity/IMG_6305.jpg

donevwil
04-15-2018, 04:09 PM
The only phones I use incorporate a cable from a base unit that must be plugged into an appropriate wall outlet. The actual handset's range is not cycling worthy so I must ride without the option of readily available communication (via phone). As stressful as it is I somehow make it work.

beeemmjay
04-15-2018, 05:03 PM
Back pocket.
Serves as my Strava/ride record machine (for posterity sake), sometimes navigation helper, and hopefully as seldom as possible - lifeline.
If on a group ride I’m not fussed if it’s forgotten, but if solo, it provides peace of mind.

AJosiahK
04-15-2018, 05:13 PM

same

unless im going out alone.. along with the fact that the ex ended up with both our garmins?

If I bring it it goes in a backback (mtb) and a little strava zip pouch (road)

froze
04-15-2018, 07:31 PM
I just put the phone in my saddle bag because I don't want to be tempted using it all the time while I ride.

a4a
04-15-2018, 08:13 PM

Yep... I’ve found it to be the cheapest and most effective way to ride with a phone. And you can use the touch screen through the bag if you want.

Ti Designs
04-15-2018, 08:56 PM
The only phones I use incorporate a cable from a base unit that must be plugged into an appropriate wall outlet. The actual handset's range is not cycling worthy so I must ride without the option of readily available communication (via phone). As stressful as it is I somehow make it work.

You can ride without a phone?

wgp
04-16-2018, 05:42 PM
I've used these Lezyne Caddy bags for years - they fit beautifully in my jersey pockets and are waterproof! One for the phone and wallet, and one for Co2, small pry tool for removing stubborn tubulars, tire levers and spare tube, and a few other tools. Got them on sale from Competitive Cyclist years ago, and they have a nice patina from use but remain solid. Plus, removes need for a saddle bag (rolled tubulars go under saddles, not bags!). I use the Medium size ...

link to two reviews (note: not my review) = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er_is1022nY
https://www.allabouttheride.co.uk/reviews/accessories/lezyne-caddy-sack-review/

Frankwurst
04-16-2018, 08:17 PM
You can ride without a phone?

I can't ride with one. If I did it would be turned off.:beer:

livingminimal
04-16-2018, 08:19 PM
just stuffed in my back pocket? To the original point, I have never had any fear of it falling out or losing it.

Mark McM
04-17-2018, 09:20 AM
This is echoing a lot of the comments here already:

I've ridden with a lot of things in my jersey pockets, and the only time I've ever had anything fall out of my pocket is when it was much too large to completely fit in the pocket (such as rolled up jacket that is bulky and hangs out of the pocket). I almost always have a wallet and keys in my jersey pockets, and they've never fallen out on their own (even when riding a mountain bike).

I only occasionally carry a cell phone. I started riding before cell phones existed, and all the calamities I've experienced cellphone-less were able to be dealt with. When I do carry a cellphone, I just put in a jersey pocket. My cellphone normally has a case and screen protector on it, and when it looks like the weather might be wet, I put the phone in a ziplock bag. This has worked fine so far.

jb_11
04-17-2018, 09:37 AM
Seat bag or jersey pocket in a ziplock.

mktng
04-17-2018, 09:41 AM
https://www.chromeindustries.com/product/small-utility-pouch/AC-106.html

Fits my phone.
Cash and cards.

Fits perfectly in the back pocket. Without sticking out too much, but don't have to dig around to grab it.

I've done 200km rides in rain without having my items inside get wet. Highly water resistant. But obviously not 100% water proof.

If when youre not using it as a phone carrier. Its great for tools, which i assume is what it was designed for.

froze
04-17-2018, 11:56 AM
The problem with putting hard items in you jersey pockets is that in the event of accident those hard items if hit just right can damage you back, a muscle, a kidney, etc. I knew a guy who had a Walkman in his jersey had a crash and they had to remove the kidney due to the damage when the Walkman got a bit sideways in the crash and punched deeply into his side. I know a guy who had pump in his jersey, crashed and damaged a vertebrae which then later needed to be fused. The next example isn't something in a jersey pocket put I knew a guy who was wearing a cross around his neck, had an accident, the cross did a weird tilt in the accident and that cross literally buried itself into his neck like a knife and just missing his main artery by about 24th's of inch!

Yeah so I'm not a big fan of putting anything back there other then soft food that would go squish in an accident...nor anything around my neck. Just some food for thought...no pun intended.

BobO
04-17-2018, 01:47 PM
Sticky Pod

https://www.amazon.com/Sticky-Pod-Cycle-Bag-Large/dp/B006XPD4UY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1523990659&sr=8-1&keywords=sticky+pod

Phone + tube + levers + CO2 + pump + money + patches + ID, all in one compact pack that fits nicely in the jersey. Plus it's water resistant and mine has lasted three years, +/- 15k miles.

RC.
04-18-2018, 01:10 AM
Rear middle jersey pocket inside one of those Chinese neoprene sleeves found on the ebay.

Neoprene (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Neoprene-Shock-Absorbing-Soft-Case-Pouch-Sleeve-Bag-for-iPhone-6-6s-Plus-5-5/391282664602?epid=1560530499&hash=item5b1a43a49a:g:U60AAOSwdvpWD4EI)

timto
04-18-2018, 07:31 AM
The last couple years I've really grown to love having one of these on my bike. I always need food during a ride, and I like to have a shell for descents or early mornings that I can unzip and put away. I have my full wallet in there and phone too. Bonus is the phone is away from my sweaty back. A small bottle of extra sunscreen for long days too.

The utility is great, they aren't bulky. This coming from a person who despises the overstuffed rear pocket....

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/589f9feae6f2e1990aba1cd2/589fa2cb893fc0b6d3d119b0/58fe973815d5db946b2500e1/1523661937777/_MG_7359.jpg

https://www.farsik.ca/shop/barbag

https://instagram.fymy1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/vp/7cb83fdb47b8e0595e26e3fb6d8d96f8/5B56DADE/t51.2885-15/e35/18581138_712764485562813_4035138928691380224_n.jpg

madsciencenow
04-18-2018, 07:40 AM
This is echoing a lot of the comments here already:

I've ridden with a lot of things in my jersey pockets, and the only time I've ever had anything fall out of my pocket is when it was much too large to completely fit in the pocket (such as rolled up jacket that is bulky and hangs out of the pocket). I almost always have a wallet and keys in my jersey pockets, and they've never fallen out on their own (even when riding a mountain bike).

I only occasionally carry a cell phone. I started riding before cell phones existed, and all the calamities I've experienced cellphone-less were able to be dealt with. When I do carry a cellphone, I just put in a jersey pocket. My cellphone normally has a case and screen protector on it, and when it looks like the weather might be wet, I put the phone in a ziplock bag. This has worked fine so far.

+1 on the zip lock bag and phone. I sweat more than the average rider so regardless of weather my phone is in a bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jdg68
04-22-2018, 11:19 AM
Backcountryresearch Fonbag:

http://backcountryresearch.com/fonbag-storage.html

charliedid
04-22-2018, 01:10 PM
Fog City
http://www.fogcitygear.com/shop/handlebarbagpocket