PDA

View Full Version : What is your worst nightmare on a bike?

kj`
04-14-2018, 02:56 AM
As the title says whats your worst nightmare while on a bike?

I'm going to throw out a few known ones..
Cars
Cat5's
sudden bike explosion
Dogs / other animals

For me today I had a small swarm of bees crossing the road while out on a ride today. Needless to say I accelerated and had a few bounce off of me...

Whats your experiences?

Asudef
04-14-2018, 04:43 AM
Sliding out in a corner or overshooting it, particularly ones with a dirt berm instead of a guardrail into the abyss below.

Death by rocks above or meeting someone/thing face on deep into a corner.

Getting chased by an animal in the wild.

Cars with no awareness of their surroundings, namely in regards to us on bikes.

Cyclists with no awareness of their surroundings, namely in regards to those around them.

Haven't actually experienced any of these though. Worst I've had happen is watching someone else rear end another on a fast descent.

Bob Ross
04-14-2018, 05:02 AM
Not being able to ride.

rnhood
04-14-2018, 05:23 AM
Having to ride alone. The popularity of biking has virtually resolved this, as there are groups everywhere.

kj`
04-14-2018, 05:33 AM
Sliding out in a corner or overshooting it

I've done both of these in my first two races working my way down the list ;)
now just to find a cliff ... but yes I think they got to me a bit, now a slight fear of gravel and over cautious about cornering in crit race fashion.

Having to ride alone.

Very much so... today super windy not sure I would have left my cave of an apartment if my ridding partner hadn't said he was down to ride today.

Hilltopperny
04-14-2018, 05:54 AM
I'm allergic to stings and a few years ago while decending a bee flew in my helmet and stung me behind the ear. I immediately found myself breathing heavy and unable to stand. Called a friend who was a few miles away to pick me up and hurry with some benedryl while laying in a field on the side of the road.

I kept myself concious and my friend/neighbor was there within minutes with a bottle of benedryl. I have not left my house without benedryl since.

My fears aside from those mentioned above are getting stranded out in the Adirondacks and having a heart attack or inability to breath while climbing. There isnt any cell service nor are there many people in some of the spots I like to ride. I ride solo 99.9% of the time and rarely does anyone know my exact location while out.

R3awak3n
04-14-2018, 06:28 AM
Having to ride alone. The popularity of biking has virtually resolved this, as there are groups everywhere.

ah, I am about to go for 100k solo in a few... I love ridding alone. Sometimes I just need it.

Cicli
04-14-2018, 06:46 AM
I had a dream one night that every bike on earth was replaced by a Trek with disc brakes, bb30, sHram and tubeless tires. Scared the hell out of me. :bike:

soulspinner
04-14-2018, 06:58 AM
I had a dream one night that every bike on earth was replaced by a Trek with disc brakes, bb30, sHram and tubeless tires. Scared the hell out of me. :bike:

:eek:

Hellgate
04-14-2018, 07:00 AM
I had a dream one night that every bike on earth was replaced by a Trek with disc brakes, bb30, sHram and tubeless tires. Scared the hell out of me. :bike:Dream?!?! That's a nightmare![emoji43]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Gummee
04-14-2018, 07:11 AM
Mine's more specific than just 'cars.' Mine's being passed into a blind corner or over the crest of a hill and having the cars involved jerk the wheel and hit me rather than have a head-on crash

So I try really hard to influence behavior so that won't happen

M

DreamInColor
04-14-2018, 07:16 AM
I ride almost exclusively alone and usually very early in the morning. Animals crossing the road has been a common occurrence. Last year four deer appeared out of nowhere and crossed right in front of my during a fast descent. It was definitely a close call, but I managed to slow down just in time to avoid them. I also narrowly avoided a skunk that popped out right in front of me. I can only imagine how ugly that might have been...

The scariest scenario for me are drivers using their cell phones. I fear they won't even realize I'm there until after they've run me over.

sandyrs
04-14-2018, 07:18 AM
Getting killed or severely/permanently injured. I feel like this is every person’s answer if we’re being honest with ourselves. Some causes of this are easier to envision than others but does it really matter how it happens?

On a less serious note... having my knee warmers slide down and create an unsightly gap :)

colker
04-14-2018, 07:22 AM
being in the middle of nowhere and hearing banjo playing.

oldpotatoe
04-14-2018, 07:30 AM

For me, and not really a 'nightmare' is having to ride in a bunch of people who I don't know, who drive the 'train' with ego and a startling lack of riding skill...

MUCH rather ride alone..the whole
-what time
-where
-how fast
-how far???

gig gets tiresome.

IMHO

Ralph
04-14-2018, 07:35 AM
Texting drivers. Landscapers trailers wider than the pick up trucks pulling them....and their drivers on the phone....talking or texting. Basically....distracted drivers.

COYO1
04-14-2018, 07:39 AM
Mine is ripping on a downhill and my carbon fork fails

Black Dog
04-14-2018, 07:50 AM
Texting drivers. Landscapers trailers wider than the pick up trucks pulling them....and their drivers on the phone....talking or texting. Basically....distracted drivers.

This plus this:

Mine's more specific than just 'cars.' Mine's being passed into a blind corner or over the crest of a hill and having the cars involved jerk the wheel and hit me rather than have a head-on crash

There are a lot of small rolling blind hills where I live and all of them on narrow 2 lane roads.

duff_duffy
04-14-2018, 07:54 AM
once was riding and ran into kite string that was tied across road. Got caught under my neck. Rope burn and wicked bleeding. For few weeks people all thought I had tried to kill myself!

unterhausen
04-14-2018, 08:06 AM

I have retired a steel frame because I wasn't confident that the fork wasn't rusted out. I feel a little stupid for that, but the frame didn't owe me anything after 30 years of rough treatment.

I worry about cars pulling out on a descent. I worry about cars on busy roads with little to no shoulder. I'm not sure when they decided every little back road should be driven on like a freeway.

I should worry about bugs flying into my mouth, but I don't. Had a big one fly into my mouth yesterday, could have been bad but I managed to cough it out right away. Had one last year that was apparently trying to crawl into my lungs, that was bad. Took a long time to get it out of there.

colker
04-14-2018, 08:29 AM
For me, and not really a 'nightmare' is having to ride in a bunch of people who I don't know, who drive the 'train' with ego and a startling lack of riding skill...

MUCH rather ride alone..the whole
-what time
-where
-how fast
-how far???

gig gets tiresome.

IMHO

It´s like that line from Groucho Marx: I do not care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members.
One of the joys of riding for me is being alone.

merlinmurph
04-14-2018, 09:25 AM

Man, you just described my rides. We have wonderful, rolly, windy country roads with very little traffic usually. The downside is what you described. People pass me a lot when they cannot see what's ahead.

dbnm
04-14-2018, 09:42 AM
The idiots in their diesel trucks who "fog" you because you're out riding a bike.

Getting chased by dogs.

Luwabra
04-14-2018, 09:51 AM
ah, I am about to go for 100k solo in a few... I love ridding alone. Sometimes I just need it.

this is 99% of my rides. i need it to more than the accompaniment of a group. I like to take in the scenery at my own pace. suffering alone on long rides builds character and you get to see what your made of.

that being said there are a very select few people that I really enjoy riding with. just because we have similar personalities, humor, and ride for the same reasons. This is harder to find than you'd expect.

David Tollefson
04-14-2018, 09:52 AM
Downtube failure on a high speed descent.

Debilitating crash while on a remote off-pavement solo ride.

d_douglas
04-14-2018, 09:54 AM
I have a few:

Snapping carbon bars: I bought a nice carbon MTB bar from a Paceline and within a few rides of it flexing substantially (which is what is supposed to do) I got ride of it. The prospect of pulling hard on the bar and one side shatters is not appealing. I have recently acquired a carbon road bar here and have similar fears, but am trying it again.

Failed suspension: having a sus fork collapse into the wheel and send me catapulting.

Face impacts: I can visualize random objects come up off the road (gravel) and hitting my pearly whites.

Riding steep dropoffs: I am a reasonable middle aged man. I have begun back riding off-road on pretty gnarly trails, and whenever I approach a steep, rocky, muddy, root-strewn trail, I hesitate (which is deadly in itself). If I ignore the impulse to stop and roll through successfully, it reminds me that committing is 9/10ths of any trail ride, but I seem to be walking more than a few years ago.

Group riding: I’ve not done much and am a competent rider, but I kinda hate the group vibe and as I get slower, I am getting more self conscious :)

galgal
04-14-2018, 09:55 AM
Hitting and hurting a little kid while riding. Almost happened back in my SF bike courier days. Coming down fast on California on Halloween and a mom with little kid in tow and in full costume stepped out from parked cars right in front of me. Somehow managed to avoid hitting them. Years later on Hudson bike path in NYC I'm zipping along and a see a little girl on a razor scooter up ahead and curse her parents for not making her wear a helmet. I decide to give her a lot of space but like an idiot don't slow down. Well, her parents were walking on the opposite side of the path and just as I was passing the kid she swerved straight into my path. Hit her hard and we both went flying. My blood froze when I ran over to her and her parents and saw a deep cut on her chin. Fortunately she was ok and not seriously hurt. And a trooper, didn't even cry. I can still see her big tear filled accusing eyes. Her dad started apologizing to me, kids will be kids he says. I almost slapped the guy. I could have killed that kid, and yeah I slow down when I pass them now

steelbikerider
04-14-2018, 09:57 AM
I have a recurring nightmare that I am about to start a race( Even the The TDF on more than one occasion) or on a ride and I can't find my bike. As I realize my bike is gone the race or group rides off without me. I wake up so upset that I often have to go check in the garage to see that my bikes are still there before I can go back to sleep.

Mzilliox
04-14-2018, 09:59 AM
I don't have nightmares on the bike, or in life. its really not that scary. Im respectful, but not afraid. Too much fear around here (USA not paceline). So i bring the anti fear. and i dont wear flouro yellow either.

Luwabra
04-14-2018, 10:09 AM
I don't have nightmares on the bike, or in life. its really not that scary. Im respectful, but not afraid. Too much fear around here (USA not paceline). So i bring the anti fear. and i dont wear flouro yellow either.

Do you have kids? I’m of the same mindset you are until I had kids now I gotta make it home. That’s my biggest fear some asshole hits me in the country and leaves. I don’t make it home to see my kids. I don’t dwell on it but it’s always there

d_douglas
04-14-2018, 10:16 AM
Do you have kids? I’m of the same mindset you are until I had kids now I gotta make it home. That’s my biggest fear some asshole hits me in the country and leaves. I don’t make it home to see my kids. I don’t dwell on it but it’s always there

Having kids changed how I ride...

gforce
04-14-2018, 10:22 AM
I would say bad riding skills and decisions in a fast group ride. When you are riding inches off a riders wheel you learn who to watch out for. You learn who to trust based on their behavior and sometimes even the psychology behind it. I once asked two different riders if they ever feared crashing in the group. Answer: Rider 1 "every minute of the ride" - Rider 2 "never once".

Tickdoc
04-14-2018, 10:24 AM
It involves that crunchy crashing sound as a bike implodes on impact.

A buddy last year forgot to clamp a front skewer less than 10 miles into a century. He bunnyhopped a manhole cover and his bmc snapped in half launching him on his face.

I was one bike back and to the right of him when it happened. I’m not sure what was worse, the sound of the carbon fiber splitting or the death moan coming from him as he lay there concussed.

woolly
04-14-2018, 10:39 AM
Distracted soccer moms not in full command of their oversized SUVs.

William
04-14-2018, 10:56 AM
A bike that doesn't plane! <shudder> :bike:

:D
William

kppolich
04-14-2018, 11:17 AM
Probably seeing someone else go down hard, particularly someone close to me. I've crashed, flatted, bonked, etc before, so I'm not too worried about anything out there as I always ride with a cell phone. But yeah, cars are dangerous- particularly because of the person in charge.

joosttx
04-14-2018, 11:26 AM
I dont have negative, irrational thoughts....

Celebrate Life

d_douglas
04-14-2018, 11:27 AM
I watched a buddy ride off the edge of a ladder section of a tech trail here last year. He is a competent rider and just simply had brain fade I think.

Anyways, I was right behind him and watched him fall about 6ft into trees/ferns tree stumps and wrench his back quite badly (he’s 6’3”). Everyone gasped and I just got off my bike and walked off the ladder stunt.

Seramount
04-14-2018, 11:34 AM
Distracted soccer moms not in full command of their oversized SUVs.

this ^...see it on every ride.

entitled SuperMoms driving a Behemoth Landbarge XR7000 while texting, putting on makeup, and yelling at the kids...

all while totally oblivious that both passenger-side wheels are inside the bike lane.

godfrey1112000
04-14-2018, 12:44 PM
:banana:As the title says whats your worst nightmare while on a bike?

I'm going to throw out a few known ones..
Cars
Cat5's
sudden bike explosion
Dogs / other animals

For me today I had a small swarm of bees crossing the road while out on a ride today. Needless to say I accelerated and had a few bounce off of me...

Whats your experiences?

Riding along the Oregon coast

paredown
04-14-2018, 01:05 PM
I don't like going endo--even though I have been (?) lucky and have been able to tuck and not faceplant.

I don't like front tire blow-outs on steep descents...

Mostly though I ride Zen--imagine my bubble of protected space, and feel one with the world around me. No fear really, even in traffic.

I do brake on downhills now though--no 'super tuck-hey let's see how fast we can go' stuff--so I suppose I have grown up some.

ojingoh
04-14-2018, 01:09 PM
Endo-ing.

On a drunken revelry a few of my mates/wolfpack were riding our bikes and the leader of our band of goons endo'ed off a three foot drop, breaking his neck. Amazingly, we were so drunken we continued riding. He is incredibly lucky he didn't end up fully paralyzed.

We kind of darwin'ed out of existence - I broke my collarbone, one guy smashed his face in and broke two front teeth, another guy also endoed his bike and broke it in half on another ride.

merckx
04-14-2018, 01:21 PM
Getting mowed-down from behind. I fear it is inevitable.

slinkywizard
04-14-2018, 01:36 PM

yes...that exactly...also forgetting to tighten the from quick release...animals (cats) crossing the road and front suspension failing

Black Dog
04-14-2018, 01:46 PM
I am surprised that this has not come up yet. On my list for sure.

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rantlifestyle.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F01%2Fsharknado-2.jpg&f=1

CSKeller
04-14-2018, 02:34 PM

:eek:

My nightmare is similar but with no Campagnolo!!! Scary!!!:eek::eek::eek:

CSKeller
04-14-2018, 02:48 PM
My other nightmare is this

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c6/21/d1/c621d114ac3f1c47240914a9c5c37acc.jpg

http://www.mopardodge.com/images/accessories/ram/towingmirrors_320.jpg

With 5 military bases around here there are a bunch of 'yahoos' with trucks like this that have NEVER towed anything or been off road let alone on the grass yet have these ridiculous mirrors sticking out 2-3 feet on each side. :no:

I did have one kind driver actually fold his mirrors in as he passed while giving me at least 6 feet passing room. :hello:

PaMtbRider
04-14-2018, 02:50 PM
Finishing a ride to find there is no beer in the refrigerator.

oldpotatoe
04-14-2018, 02:56 PM
Finishing a ride to find there is no beer in the refrigerator.

OMG!!!

Just finally had a great ride but huzzah, DID have a cold one in the shop fridge.

93KgBike
04-14-2018, 03:16 PM
Between 1984 and 2011 I commuted more than a quarter of a million miles, trying to earn a buck. I have been hit by:

1) A city worker in a stepvan
2) A physician showing off in his day-old beemer
3) A nice lady who was clearly checking me out (then blurted out "I didn't see you! ... Are you OK? You're really hot!")
4) A state trooper (who yelled, "you don't have any lights!" And then later said to me, "oh, you have like six lights. How many lights do you have on there?!?" ; eight.
5) Two campus workers driving a golfcart the wrong way down a oneway street
6) A pretty girl parked in the bike-lane (who doored me)

I don't ever want another concussion, can't entirely straighten my left arm now, for years, and do a fair amount of riding on the sidewalk (I've got kids to protect!).

These days, my riding nightmare is that Zwift is just a fad, and will go the way of myspace.

marciero
04-14-2018, 03:21 PM
Maybe not the worst but-Rolling a tubular. So far so good. I probably way overglue them.

OtayBW
04-14-2018, 03:33 PM
Among my many worst nightmares, I'd have to call attention to this one guy who rides with us often who will just not STFU! Call me trite, call me unforgiving....constantly yapping - up every hill, down every fast descent...there is no let up to the extent to which this guy will focus his attention on everything else but the road ahead of him....[/rant]

cadence90
04-14-2018, 03:47 PM

tculbreath
04-14-2018, 04:13 PM
Crossing wheels in a group ride, then feeling the lean that you cannot recover from, only to un-clip and skate across the pavement.

shinomaster
04-14-2018, 04:23 PM
Mine already happened. My brother was hit head-on by an SUV coming home from a bike ride almost exactly four years ago. He died that night. I suppose I also worry about getting hit and the effect that would have on my dad and nephew, so I'm starting to wear brighter colors, and I right with a bright headlight, even during the day.

OtayBW
04-14-2018, 04:26 PM
Mine already happened. My brother was hit head-on by an SUV coming home from a bike ride almost exactly four years ago. He died that night. I suppose I also worry about getting hit and the effect that would have on my dad and nephew, so I'm starting to wear brighter colors, and I right with a bright headlight, even during the day.Whoa.

Sorry to hear that.

sandyrs
04-14-2018, 05:35 PM
I am surprised that this has not come up yet. On my list for sure.

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rantlifestyle.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F01%2Fsharknado-2.jpg&f=1

Damn yeah this is top of the list

galgal
04-14-2018, 06:35 PM

Scary!:eek:

bicycletricycle
04-14-2018, 06:38 PM
broken fork

jamesdak
04-14-2018, 08:05 PM
My other nightmare is this

With 5 military bases around here there are a bunch of 'yahoos' with trucks like this that have NEVER towed anything or been off road let alone on the grass yet have these ridiculous mirrors sticking out 2-3 feet on each side. :no:

I did have one kind driver actually fold his mirrors in as he passed while giving me at least 6 feet passing room. :hello:

Back off the military unless you've got the nerve to put on the uniform. :mad:

CSKeller
04-14-2018, 09:30 PM
Back off the military unless you've got the nerve to put on the uniform. :mad:Jamesdak,

Been there, done that!! I served 24 years!

I'm not bashing on them... it's just with so many bases here there is a large and diverse population...many young people who spend their paycheck on these ungodly large pickups with stupid mirrors that have no regard for cyclists or other users of the road!

I continue to work on a military base and commute to work by bike as much as I can. Many of the drivers I encounter during my commute give no room...I truly fear that I may end up dead because one of them clipped me with those stupid mirrors.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

sfghbiker
04-14-2018, 09:44 PM
I almost got killed by a group of wild turkeys dashing out in front of me when I was descending Centennial Rd in Berkeley at a high rate of speed. Turkeys are big! Chalk that up to things I never thought to worry about until today...

Luwabra
04-14-2018, 09:51 PM
Lololol we need a foot in mouth emoji

Jamesdak,

I'm not bashing on them... it's just with so many bases here there is a large and diverse population...many young people who spend their paycheck on these ungodly large pickups with stupid mirrors that have no regard for cyclists or other users of the road!

I continue to work on a military base and commute to work by bike as much as I can. Many of the drivers I encounter during my commute give no room...I truly fear that I may end up dead because one of them clipped me with those stupid mirrors.

zap
04-15-2018, 11:15 AM
Big coastal cities USA, motorists.

Dogs that can roam about freely.....a distant second.

Sketchy cyclists. Not at all. Drop or fall back. My choice.

jamesdak
04-15-2018, 08:26 PM
Jamesdak,

I still fail to see the correlation. I have to deal with those trucks all the time too and there's no military base within 30 miles of my riding routes.

If anything it seems the military folks have more of a tendency to give a cyclist room because they've likely had time overseas in a culture more receptive of bikes.

Boneheads are everywhere, it's not exclusive to Colorado Springs just because of the military. Just sayin'....also as a 22 year vet and now still working for DoD.

And to sorta get back on topic....I have been clipped by a mirror. By someone's grandma in a Camry. Used to encounter her pretty much daily and I swear she was driving blind because she never got over at all. On day she got me. So that and the dog that recently took out my front wheel separating my shoulder among other things may be at the top of my list.

veggieburger
04-15-2018, 08:31 PM
That 16 year old texting on her cell while driving. Scares me to death.

ripvanrando
04-15-2018, 09:16 PM
A broken seat post is no fun, trust me. That one runs on my dream channel every once in awhile.

My 3 serious crashes were in races or group rides where there was no option, up and over, tuck and roll although the little dog that got caught in the 20H front spokes took me down fairly effectively. The dog went into the fork and I went down, he wiggled out and ran like the Dickens. It was on a climb and my legs were toast, so, I could not outrun him.

The real fear for me is getting run over. Know or have ridden with too many hit or killed.

thirdgenbird
04-15-2018, 09:31 PM
That 16 year old texting on her cell while driving. Scares me to death.

I live a block away from a highchool in an upper middle class area (very few kids ride the bus) and from my observations, I would be more fearful of the 16 year old’s mother. My neighbor who often sits on her front patio watching traffic agrees.