PDA

View Full Version : Serotta joint striping

Satellite
04-13-2018, 07:34 PM
I have a Serotta Meivici at the joints there is some type of tape that wraps the carbon tube. Is this just pin stripe type material. What is the purpose of the tape just sort of a finish. Mine is beat up a bit I would like to redo it.

Anyone know where to source the tape?

Any tips would be appreciated!

ultraman6970
04-13-2018, 08:03 PM
I believe that was put in there so the paint doesnt get scratched and start cracking at the tip of the tube, the problem with those areas when you paint is that the paint gets thinner and more prone to start cracking, good solution just put some tape around.

Peter P.
04-13-2018, 08:25 PM
Those are bonded joints, and the intersection of the two materials is never perfect. To hide the imperfections, trim tape is placed at the edge of the seam.

If you can't find pinstriping tape at an autobody, auto parts, or auto paint store, you can buy a tape slitter and slit any tape with a peel off backing, down to as little as 1/4".

The cool thing is, you can get it in any color you want, even reflective colors.

Black Dog
04-14-2018, 08:05 AM
Ah yes the infamous Serotta Strip Joint. ;)

lemondvictoire
04-14-2018, 08:48 AM
Gorilla tape available in a number of colors should be up to the task....

David Kirk
04-14-2018, 10:03 AM
Go to any NAPA and buy some pin stripe tape and you'll be all set.

dave

a4a
04-14-2018, 12:06 PM
Yep... purely aesthetic. Same on my Concours. +1 on pinstripe tape. But I like the idea of useing a tape splitter on reflective tape. Might try that.

93KgBike
04-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Ah yes the infamous Serotta Strip Joint. ;)
real lol

Brian Smith
04-16-2018, 10:20 AM
As DK said, auto body suppliers have it, it's a 3M striping product.
That Meivici uses 1/8" tape, IIRC. It is also available in 3/16" and 1/4" width.

The tape helps to secure the hard paint edge against flaking back under small impacts, it's not strictly cosmetic. The practice predates bonded production and has little to do with the joint construction. Imagine a welded titanium chainstay/dropout or even a brazed bike with a chrome rear. At some point along the stays, there will be a change in finish from a painted surface to a non-painted surface. One historically common location for this was near the tire, where debris might likely be kicked up into the frame during use. The termination point of the paint is the place where the paint is most easily dislodged from the underlying surface. As can be seen in the OP's photo, sometimes the tape takes the brunt of the impacts and can be replaced. When it's done best, the tape overlaps the interface and is partially applied to the bare metal.

Mike Lopez
04-16-2018, 10:40 AM
real lol

Austin a few years back?

Now THAT was something to LOL about !!!