PDA

View Full Version : SRAM Level TLM brakes

LegendRider
04-13-2018, 01:18 PM
I have a 2017 Trek ProCaliber 9.8 with SRAM Level TLM brakes that have been a PITA since day 1. The front brake has been replaced under warranty twice. Even when "working" they are squishy, noisy and the pads drag frequently. Is this particular brakeset known for these problems or am I just unlucky? I'm thinking of swapping them out for XT and Ice Tech rotors. Anything else I should consider?

peanutgallery
04-13-2018, 01:26 PM
The shop has to actually bleed them, then they'll work great. Best brake that they've made, someone's letting you down - there is a new bleed kit. Because it is DOT fluid vs. mineral oil they work much better in heat generating situations

Had a pair for about a year

CiclistiCliff
04-13-2018, 02:13 PM
The brakes are good. The rotors suck.

LegendRider
04-13-2018, 02:52 PM
The brakes are good. The rotors suck.

Interesting. Have a suggestion for replacements?

CiclistiCliff
04-13-2018, 04:45 PM
Shimano rotors. The actual brake surface on centerline rotors is too short so the pads contact the arms of the rotors and cause noise/premature pad wear. Same thing as Magura Storm rotors

peanutgallery
04-13-2018, 08:09 PM
Calling BS, rotor does not matter

Used centerline with absolutely no issue for quite some time. Bleed the brake in the proper and all is good.

Shimano rotors. The actual brake surface on centerline rotors is too short so the pads contact the arms of the rotors and cause noise/premature pad wear. Same thing as Magura Storm rotors

JAGI410
04-13-2018, 08:48 PM
I love the Level TL brakes I have, way more than the XT’s I also have. Quieter, better bite, more power.

peanutgallery
04-13-2018, 08:52 PM
Bingo,something to be said for DOT fluid

I love the Level TL brakes I have, way more than the XT’s I also have. Quieter, better bite, more power.

CiclistiCliff
04-13-2018, 08:55 PM
Calling BS, rotor does not matter

Used centerline with absolutely no issue for quite some time. Bleed the brake in the proper and all is good.

Sure. Call what you want.

I’ll keep fixing the customer’s bikes in the meantime.

Seriously, what do you think causes the turkey gobble? I’ve had customers whose rear brakes shook the entire bike until rotors were changed.

Rotor design, cut out sizes and pad overhang are important. Go ride a bike with halfway worn worn Magura pads on Magura Storm rotors and then tell me how loud they are and how bad they pulsate coming to a stop.

CiclistiCliff
04-13-2018, 08:59 PM
Bingo,something to be said for DOT fluid

DOT fluid has nothing to do with bite or power.

Rotor size, pad material, and proper bleed are the important things.

Tektro/TRP/Shimano/Magura don’t use DOT fluid. SRAM/Formula/Hayes do.

Zee/Saint have a lot more bite than comparable Code or Guide RSC.

I’m wasting my time here, again.

peanutgallery
04-13-2018, 09:38 PM
Heat and how it affects the brake fluid. If you want to get that chip off the shoulder, give me a call...always on the watch for a wrench with some moxy. Might be able to learn you something, too. I buy the beer

DOT fluid has nothing to do with bite or power.

Rotor size, pad material, and proper bleed are the important things.

Tektro/TRP/Shimano/Magura don’t use DOT fluid. SRAM/Formula/Hayes do.

Zee/Saint have a lot more bite than comparable Code or Guide RSC.

I’m wasting my time here, again.

FriarQuade
04-15-2018, 10:13 AM
Heat and how it affects the brake fluid. If you want to get that chip off the shoulder, give me a call...always on the watch for a wrench with some moxy. Might be able to learn you something, too. I buy the beer

His point is that brake fluid choice doesn't make or break the brake system for bicycles. Either is suitable if the system is designed accordingly.