PDA

View Full Version : Another "help me" thread - Kelly Knobby X

belopsky
04-13-2018, 11:53 AM
Currently:

HUNT Race Aero 8/9/10/11 - Running 9speed with a spacer
Derailleurs are Suntour Cyclone M2 - the rear doesn't really have enough lateral movement. Limit screw is turned all the way out to make the biggest cog work.

Shifters are bar ends.

I think I need some other derailleurs. 2x9 gearing. The crank is Compass RH so I need something that has a pretty flat derailleur face. I am thinking CX70?
What about rear?

Focus is on lightweight but I don't want to get 'silly'

To put weight in perspective, the Cyclone Mark II is 164g. Front is 106g or so.

Obviously a bit of weight won't matter but ideally I am not gaining any weight here.

Brakes are Paul Motolite and am using Tektro shifters. If I wanted to spend more money (I really don't) I'd get the Gevenalle shifters to make the v-brakes work.

cachagua
04-13-2018, 12:52 PM
The rear [derailleur] doesn't really have enough lateral movement. Limit screw is turned all the way out to make the biggest cog work...

I've used a bunch of Suntour derailleurs and haven't encountered that yet. (Although I don't remember using that particular model.) Anything unusual about the dropout?

If you want to try a different Suntour derailleur there are a couple dozen on eBay. Tektro bar-end shifters -- haven't tried 'em. If they index with Suntour derailleurs over a 9-speed cassette, I think I'd like to try this. But is it possible the shifter just isn't moving the derailleur far enough? Whole separate problem from the derailleur, if so. But presumably you'd know if it were that?

But really, those derailleurs seem to have been designed for at least fifteen or twenty cogs. Maybe they meant to future-proof them. When you back the limit screw out all the way, what hits or interferes in the derailleur that stops it from moving farther inboard?

belopsky
04-13-2018, 01:23 PM
I dont know the best way to describe it but basically the derailleur body itself is the limiter, not the screw. 9 cogs is the limit it seems for lateral movement.

By tektro shifters i did not mean bar end, i meant these
https://www.gevenalle.com/product/cx2/

chrismoustache
04-13-2018, 02:36 PM
Xtr m952?

cachagua
04-13-2018, 03:30 PM
Didn't know those shifters were supposed to work with old Suntour derailleurs?

(guess that's the only kind of Suntour derailleurs)

So in other words if you disconnect the cable and just push inboard on the derailleur's lower pivot (or some likely place), it just plain won't go far enough?

If so, I'd say try another model of derailleur. Lots of Suntours in good shape available, and cheap enough to write it off to research.

I have some ways of adapting shifters to brake levers that I like better than the Gevenales; if you want I can show you how to put a 9-speed downtube lever on the inside of the right brake lever's body, and the front on the opposite side. That would free you up to use any shifter/drlr at all...

Are there downtube shifters for mechanical Campy 12? (JOKING!!)

icepick_trotsky
04-13-2018, 03:35 PM
I'm a little unclear on some of what you're saying, but I think you mean you're using Tektro brake levers (not shifters) with the motolites.

So what bar ends are you using? I have found that Suntour bar ends do not have enough "throw" to shift across an entire 8 or 9 speed cassette. 7 is the limit, when using a Suntour derailleur.

If that's your setup, maybe a different shifter would solve the problem.

CMiller
04-13-2018, 03:39 PM
Maybe silly question but is the 11 speed spacer behind the cassette or next to the locking? After locking might push the cassette too far inboard.

belopsky
04-24-2018, 06:36 PM
^ the spacer is behind the cassette

BTW I went Shimano 5800. Photo is outdated as I am using an Ultegra 6750 crank
https://www.flickr.com/photos/14767344@N07/26587083887/in/dateposted-public/