PDA

View Full Version : Ride report: Yellow Legend, Tubulars, Grimselpass, pics!

Gothard
10-14-2006, 10:06 AM
I needed to do a mountain pass before the weather got too cold here, well it's done. After finishing gluing up my new tubular wheelset (2 tubes of Conti glue all in all), shaking them down once to assure they will hold, I was ready.
Woke up with my wife at 6.30 to leave home at 7. A drive of 90 minutes up the Rhone river valley got us to a village about 4 miles form the climb itself. Temperature upon starting the ride was about 35°F... Luckily after 15 minutes I was out in the sun again and it became perfect as long as I was moving.
My wife (very pregnant) played the sag vehicle, driving ahead and waiting for me to shoot a few pics. I also had my camera in a handlebar bag.
Besides being out of shape, the climb was great, I guess that wether you are fit or not, the pain stays the same, only the climb time decreases.
The Grimselpass is a medium-easy climb, just next to the Furka that adds another 1000ft of climbing that were too much for me today.
The tubulars (Conti Sprinters) shone, more in the descents where I got some pretty extreme lean angles in the hairpin turns in complete confidence (keep in mind this is my first real mountain descent in over 15 months). The grip is formidable, and the "steerability" is much better than my usual 20mm Michelin Axial Comps. On the way up, there was (maybe?) a bit more confort, and maybe a bit less rolling resistance, but the feelgood factor is high enough for me to be happy on the way up. Downhill is no contest. My correct gluing resulted in not one movement of the tubs despite some heavy (short) braking.
Now, enjoy!

csm
10-14-2006, 10:13 AM
gorgeous! makes me want to fly out for the next ride. I have a blue legend.

sbornia
10-14-2006, 10:17 AM
Great ride report and pix! I used to live in Lugano, and your photos bring back great memories.

Big Dan
10-14-2006, 10:55 AM
G, you are killing me............ :)
have fun......

catulle
10-14-2006, 11:02 AM
Amazingly beautiful. Congratulations. The part I like best is that it is all downhill, atmo. ;)

Tailwinds
10-14-2006, 11:09 AM
gorgeous!

That was my first thought, too -- GORGEOUS! Makes me wanna go ride a mountain pass on this warm weekend we're having here in CO. Maybe tomorrow... :cool:

Lost Weekend
10-14-2006, 11:12 AM
Very cool- thanks for the photos!

dbrk
10-14-2006, 11:19 AM
G,
I'm delighted to see that little pirate mojo sticker still on the headtube and, of course, your homage to the Mendon Cyclesmith, a worthy one man shop that really serves cyclists of every sort. Nice bike! And seeing you is swell, cause the bike fits you far better and suits you well. It's plennny stiff and correct for its purpose! Well done.

And what a beautiful place and tough ride. Good on'ya'!

dbrk

gone
10-14-2006, 12:14 PM
Beautiful pictures of a great ride! Thanks for sharing.

Skrawny
10-14-2006, 04:33 PM
Great pix!
Be careful though, that is the kind of area that has trolls under the bridges!
-s

saab2000
10-14-2006, 05:33 PM
I want to throw up........

Karin Kirk
10-14-2006, 05:45 PM
Wow! Inspirational, thanks for the story and the great pics. Are the switchbacks you can see across the valley the Furkapass?

Too Tall
10-14-2006, 05:57 PM
Yodel aye eee hooooooooo :)

Great report. Keep em' coming.

H.Frank Beshear
10-14-2006, 06:12 PM
Wow! Inspirational, thanks for the story and the great pics. Are the switchbacks you can see across the valley the Furkapass?

LOL had to read that last word twice. :D :p

spiderlake
10-14-2006, 07:19 PM
Great pics!! Very inspiring.

Skrawny
10-14-2006, 11:26 PM
I think I have some shelving from Ikea called the "Grimsel."

Gothard
10-15-2006, 03:05 AM
Yes, across the valley is the Furka. Jobst Brandt went there quite a few times and you can find the same picture on the recount of his trips.

alancw3
10-15-2006, 09:55 AM
great pics! thanks for sharing with us. so do you get a lot of snow there?

Karin Kirk
10-15-2006, 04:34 PM
Sheesh - those roads are spectacular. Imagine the gutsy engineers who looked up at these sheer mountainsides and thought. "sure, we can put a road up that thing." (plus a train tunnel underneath it!)

Thanks for the second round of pics!

BU Racer
10-15-2006, 05:23 PM
The most memorable ride of my life was leaving Grindelwald and heading up the Grossheidegg (spelling?), the Susten, Furka, Grimsel Passes, and heading back up the Grossheidegg down to Interlaken and around the lake to Giessbach (spellling, again?). Totally unsupported, I survived off fruit pies in the gift shops, coke, and haribo gummy bears. I was in total calorie deficit for a week, but had no regrets!

Rone glacier looks smaller than I've seen it in the pass.... warm summer the cause?

Karin Kirk
10-15-2006, 06:49 PM
Rone glacier looks smaller than I've seen it in the pass.... warm summer the cause?

More like global warming. The majority of the glaciers in the Alps, Rockies, etc are shrinking noticeably. Sad.

Kevan
10-16-2006, 08:21 AM
shouldn't have to ride in those conditions.

velodadi
10-16-2006, 09:25 AM
Come on, all you Michiganders, let's head out there and do this ride! What's a litlte snow and cold weather to us???

V