PDA

View Full Version : OK.... thinking ahead to next year and back to this one

Tom
10-14-2006, 07:36 AM
I did no big rides this year, though I guess there's still time, but these days I'm sort of thinking in terms of screw it I'm just going to ride around in circles with no particular place to go. This year, though I seem to have put in a lot of miles, I haven't done one ride that I was afraid of when I started it except for the two races but I was scared of those not because I was afraid of myself but that I was afraid of the other riders. Not because I thought I was slow or anything but I was afraid somebody would ride into me and I was nearly right.

Anyway, I think ahead to next year.

Here's the plan.

- Do the Bennington ride. 125 miles, about 11000 feet of up (and 11000 feet of down... yee hah!)
- Go up to my sisters for three or four days of riding around the White Mountains, including the Kanc and up around there. I figure back to back to back 100 milers ought to be good early season endurance.
- Get off my butt and enter all the early season races around here. Don't sit there dithering, enter them, get my rear kicked, have a good time.
- Enter the Adirondack 540. Do one or two loops. Have a good time.
- Ride the Highlander again.
- Ride the big four west of town every couple of weeks. You can do an 80 mile 8000 foot day right out my front door. Take advantage of it.
- Make the big four the big five now that they paved Gregg Road all the way through.
- Go down to the Tuesday night rides in Delmar and get comfortable in a group.
- The rest of the time ride slow and look around. Ride new roads, don't just bang the river loop because I know precisely when I'll be back.
- Stop timing my life to the minute.

csm
10-14-2006, 07:58 AM
I agree. this upcoming season I have another goal. to get rid of my cyclocomputer. who cares how many miles I ride.

trophyoftexas
10-14-2006, 08:01 AM
Pick your last option, work in rides as the year goes by without scheduling yourself into every single weekend and you'll enjoy the "riding seaon" much better. I did this about three years ago, slowed down the pace and started to enjoy my rides a whole lot more....now I can actually recall things I saw along the way! I still try to schedule a few "must do" rides but if the weekend rolls around and it doesn't work out I just write it off as a donation to someone's cause and do something else....sort of reclaimed my sanity along with getting MUCH more out of the rides that I do get to do. I also now sort out the rides almost totally based on getting to do at least a little bit of climbing, not that I'm a mountain goat but those challenges mean more to me than sheer distance....mtcw.