PDA

View Full Version : OT Salvage Title How hard is it to get one revised to a clean title

cnighbor1
04-11-2018, 04:43 PM
Salvage Title How hard is it to get one revised to a clean title
Look at this example Only minor body damage yet a salvage title
Neat VW TDI SW but how to get insurance etc
Has anyone been successful in California getting it revised
Thanks for input

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/2016-mkk7-vw-golf-sportswagon/6523327928.html

jtakeda
04-11-2018, 04:46 PM
I don’t think it’s possible.

You could possibly get a title saying it was rebuilt but you can’t get a clean title. At least not in CA

cnighbor1
04-11-2018, 05:02 PM
I don’t think it’s possible.

You could possibly get a title saying it was rebuilt but you can’t get a clean title. At least not in CA
Thanks that is what I thought

Mike Lopez
04-11-2018, 05:03 PM
...I've rebuilt a few slightly wrinkled sporty cars over the years and been told by the DMV no way when I inquired. Of course I could have gotten bad info cause you know they're very happy to serve at the DMV.

Anyone looking for a sweet '74 2002 Tii ?

sokyroadie
04-11-2018, 06:49 PM
Getting insurance should not be a problem with a rebuilt title. I have done it several times.

pbarry
04-11-2018, 07:02 PM
If you are considering a purchase, you might have the front end looked at and make sure the alignment is right. Carefully look at hood and bumper paint: Ask where the work was done and if they have receipts. Run a Carfax report too. Worth the $$. That seems like a nice deal if it checks out.

FlashUNC
04-11-2018, 07:11 PM
A lowered VW wagon with a bunch of questionable taste add-ons a salvage title?

Run, don't walk.

carpediemracing
04-11-2018, 07:13 PM
There are a couple states where you can get a clean title with a salvage or otherwise damaged title. I don't think CA is one of them. TX, something up north (MOntana?), maybe FL.

Richard
04-11-2018, 07:21 PM
Why would a 2016 car need a salvage title if just the hood and bumper required replacement. That's no reason to total the car. I would be very suspicious.

likebikes
04-11-2018, 07:32 PM
there are ways around it, but it's kind of shady and not really worth it for
an individual.

now, if you're a dealer buying a bunch of cars with branded titles at auction then it's worth your while to jump through all the hoops and get clean titles...

likebikes
04-11-2018, 07:35 PM
Why would a 2016 car need a salvage title if just the hood and bumper required replacement. That's no reason to total the car. I would be very suspicious.

the hood and bumper are probably a couple thousand just on their own. and that's before paint and other body work that's billed at what, $150+/hr in ca?

and i'm guessing if the impact wrecked the bumper/hood there's the potential for a bunch of airbags to be deployed?

Ralph
04-11-2018, 07:42 PM
Flood damage somewhere? That's how I would unload one....make it look like a wrecked car. No telling the history of that vehicle. Water damage is the only thing I can't get fixed somewhere. Everything else is fixable.

cadence90
04-11-2018, 08:47 PM
I have had recent car troubles necessitating a "new" used car in California and I asked my mechanic this exact question just yesterday.

His replies:
1) It is technically possible to convert a "salvage" title to "revived salvage" in CA. (https://www.dmv.org/ca-california/salvaged-vehicles.php), but never again to "clean" title status.

BUT:
2) "Salvage" title cars may be legitimate salvage cars (repairs likely would be $$$$$ and title revision uncertain) and/or scams (insurance, etc... very unlikely that the title would be revised in those cases).
3) The title revision process requires leaping through a variety of state-mandated/state-approved/state-conducted hoops and checks.
4) The title revision process is a major coordination, inspection, and paperwork hassle to go through.
5) Conversion from a "salvage" title to "revived salvage" title is absolutely NOT guaranteed even if the process is initiated.
6) Yes, there has been a spike in salvage cars from Houston, etc. Avoid all cars that are originally from flood areas.
7) Ergo, in his opinion: walk away from any and all CA "salvage" title cars and look for "clean" title cars only.

dustyrider
04-11-2018, 09:19 PM
...I've rebuilt a few slightly wrinkled sporty cars over the years and been told by the DMV no way when I inquired. Of course I could have gotten bad info cause you know they're very happy to serve at the DMV.

What color is it?

jghall
04-11-2018, 09:58 PM
Cars may become salvage titles when it costs the insurance company less than it would to fix/repair it. Can depend on the damage, the year of the car, etc.

Sure there are ways around some of it, but most will state it is a salvage car. Whether wreck, flood, etc.

Insurance should not be a problem. Though I'm sure there are some companies who may pass if up front about the title.

cmg
04-11-2018, 10:41 PM
no photos with the hood open. 2016 vw with 31k miles for $11600 kinda falls in the to good to be true area. if you visit the vehicle, crawl underneath it, look for painted folded metal under the engine, if it was totaled in a front end crash the steering assembly probably got pushed back.

pasadena
04-11-2018, 10:56 PM
All true
it's hard enough buying a legit clean car in CA.
Unless you're using it for parts or racing LeMons, run from salvage cars.

His replies:
1) It is technically possible to convert a salvage title to "revived salvage" in CA. (https://www.dmv.org/ca-california/salvaged-vehicles.php), but not to "clean" status.

BUT:
2) Salvage title cars may be legitimate salvage cars (but repairs likely would be $$$$$ and title reversal uncertain) and/or scams (insurance, etc... very unlikely that the title would be reversed in those cases).
3) The process requires leaping through a variety of state-mandated/state-approved/state-conducted hoops and checks.
4) The process is a major coordination, inspection, and paperwork hassle to go through.
5) Conversion from a salvage title to "revived salvage" title is absolutely NOT guaranteed even if the process is initiated.
6) Yes, there has been a spike in salvage cars from Houston, etc. Avoid all cars that are originally from flood areas.
7) Ergo, in his opinion: walk away any and all CA salvage title cars and look for clean title cars only.

Steve in SLO
04-12-2018, 12:31 AM

Evil Tempter!

Fivethumbs
04-12-2018, 12:38 AM
Note: registering a salvage title car to drive on the street is not the same as turning a salvage title car into a clean title car. The DMV brands titles as salvage, junk, prior police, etc. to protect future consumers. If you could just remove the salvage branding from the title it would defeat the purpose.

cadence90
04-12-2018, 12:53 AM
Right.

Again, it is not possible to re-classify a "salvage" title car to a "clean" title car in CA, period.

It is difficult but technically possible to re-classify a "salvage" title car to "revived salvage" title car in CA, but I don't see any advantage for op Charles, an individual in CA, to going through all that hassle.

Mike Lopez
04-12-2018, 09:58 AM
What color is it?

First of all I apologize for any drift, hijacking, OT, or other violations etc.

It kinda started as a joke but since you asked.... It's anthracite. A very dark metallic gray.

The twins aren't getting along so the new kid's got to go. I've had the '68 for 40 years now so it looks like it'll be the Tii. (Actually, I just need the space for the next project)

My primary reason for my first reply was to answer the OPs question re the DMV paperwork. As much as I'd like to have a clean title on the Tii it wasn't gonna happen and that's a shame. It had a small hit on the drivers side requiring a new fender and door but the owner's insurance company totaled it cause that's what they do with old cars. I picked it up and the first stop was the frame shop where they gave it a thumbs up alignment wise. Then it was off to the paint shop for a year or so...

At any rate. Sorry for the hijack.

PM me if interested.

Richard
04-12-2018, 10:23 AM
Likebikes...My point is that if it was just bumper/hood, repairs would exceed a few thousand, no doubt. But, this is a 2016 car and would not be totaled by the insurance company. If airbags went off, then the cost is much higher, probably by quite a lot. However, if the airbags fired, then there was a lot more replaced then the bumper and the hood. The dashboard, at a minimum and most likely both fenders, straightened brackets, maybe engine/transmission mounts and a lot of steering components, radiator, AC parts etc. To total a 2016 would probably imply somewhere well north of $10K repair costs.

Gsinill
04-12-2018, 10:32 AM
Right.

Again, it is not possible to re-classify a "salvage" title car to a "clean" title car in CA, period.

Not just in CA, same in IL. Inquiry a while back with the DMV, once salvage, NEVER clean again.

...I don't see any advantage for op Charles, an individual in CA, to going through all that hassle.

^
This.
I could pick from 6 brand-new 2017 VW Allroads with a $10K discount at my local dealer.
$18K for an Allroad S with full warranty and no hassle vs. $11K for a salvaged SW - sounds like an easy choice for me even if I didn't need the AWD.

zap
04-12-2018, 12:40 PM
Likebikes...My point is that if it was just bumper/hood, repairs would exceed a few thousand, no doubt. But, this is a 2016 car and would not be totaled by the insurance company. If airbags went off, then the cost is much higher, probably by quite a lot. However, if the airbags fired, then there was a lot more replaced then the bumper and the hood. The dashboard, at a minimum and most likely both fenders, straightened brackets, maybe engine/transmission mounts and a lot of steering components, radiator, AC parts etc. To total a 2016 would probably imply somewhere well north of $10K repair costs.

Agreed.

The concern is how badly is the crush zone compromised.

jtbadge
04-12-2018, 12:42 PM
I could pick from 6 brand-new 2017 VW Allroads with a $10K discount at my local dealer.
$18K for an Allroad S with full warranty and no hassle vs. $11K for a salvaged SW - sounds like an easy choice for me even if I didn't need the AWD.

I agree. Just got an email from my VW dealer in St. Louis, they're clearing out new 2017s starting around $15k. No sense in going through all of this.

Ken Robb
04-12-2018, 01:45 PM

It kinda started as a joke but since you asked.... It's anthracite. A very dark metallic gray.

The twins aren't getting along so the new kid's got to go. I've had the '68 for 40 years now so it looks like it'll be the Tii. (Actually, I just need the space for the next project)

PM me if interested.
Hey Mike, You may know my old pal Carl Nelson? Ken

DreaminJohn
04-12-2018, 02:52 PM
To add a data point:

Here in NJ, you must turn in the car and all receipts for parts to the state DMV. If it passes you'll receive a legit registration # but with an "S" (for salvage, obv) as the first character.

As others have said, NEVER clean once salvaged.

glepore
04-12-2018, 06:04 PM
In Pa, same deal, "enhanced" inspection.

Branded salvage for life.

But a ****load of cars with flood damage have gone thru auctions without ever being totalled, and likewise a ****load of "flood cars" never saw water, were totalled by zipcode.

I have a salvage title A8L (hydrolock due to driving thru a "puddle") that I bought rebuilt for 60% of retail. So long as I drive it into the ground, and its almost there at 150k, its fine.

dustyrider
04-12-2018, 06:17 PM

My primary reason for my first reply was to answer the OPs question re the DMV paperwork. As much as I'd like to have a clean title on the Tii it wasn't gonna happen and that's a shame. It had a small hit on the drivers side requiring a new fender and door but the owner's insurance company totaled it cause that's what they do with old cars. I picked it up and the first stop was the frame shop where they gave it a thumbs up alignment wise. Then it was off to the paint shop for a year or so...

PM me if interested.

Oh man! Those are beautiful. It’s not in the cards for a few years. Bought a home recently and am in the middle of a renovation of a different sort.

Mike Lopez
04-12-2018, 06:59 PM
Hey Mike, You may know my old pal Carl Nelson? Ken

Hi Ken,

Carl is great guy and a wonderful source of parts and information. I always enjoy speaking with him and always learn something.

The only downside for me is I want to buy and restore about half of his collection but he won't part with them! Shoulda got a 3.0 back when they were still affordable. They're crazy now!

Cheers!
Mike

carpediemracing
04-13-2018, 10:08 AM
How to get a clean title for a salvage (TX):
http://www.hoonable.com/how-scam-artists-get-clean-titles-for-totaled-cars/

C40_guy
04-13-2018, 11:21 AM
I have a salvage title A8L (hydrolock due to driving thru a "puddle") that I bought rebuilt for 60% of retail. So long as I drive it into the ground, and its almost there at 150k, its fine.

If you watch the chain tensioners you should get far more than 150K out of that A8!

ojingoh
04-13-2018, 01:57 PM

PM me if interested.

Nice whips, Mike. My intro to the marque was via a girl in college who had a '72. Loved that car!
I'm partial to later BMWs, but those are the first of the breed. Chapeau!

a4a
04-13-2018, 02:02 PM
I think you’re asking for trouble unless you are a skilled mechanic/body guy. There is a ton of flood vehicles on the market right now and verified minor damage might make it look like the physical part is what generated the salvage title when it was water. And if it’s water, you’ll have electrical problems forever.

toytech
04-13-2018, 07:34 PM
as a 30+ year automotive expert, I would generally not touch any recent vintage car with salvage title. I have seen repairs from questionable to unsafe. Insurance will probably value it at half of a non salvage car too. Would have to be a lot cheeper than that to make me interested, and definitely not a VW lol

glepore
04-13-2018, 07:41 PM
If you watch the chain tensioners you should get far more than 150K out of that A8!

Mine's a d3 with belts, but yeah.

wildboar
04-14-2018, 09:52 AM
http://www.kare11.com/article/news/investigations/kare-11-investigates-protecting-drivers-from-totaled-cars/89-533501146

[...Cars that have been smashed, totaled or flooded often wind up back on the roads with clean titles that can hide their history. It’s because of a provision in Minnesota law that exempts many older cars from being branded "salvage." A national expert called that a "state-sanctioned loophole." ...]

Ken Robb
04-14-2018, 12:11 PM
http://www.kare11.com/article/news/investigations/kare-11-investigates-protecting-drivers-from-totaled-cars/89-533501146

[...Cars that have been smashed, totaled or flooded often wind up back on the roads with clean titles that can hide their history. It’s because of a provision in Minnesota law that exempts many older cars from being branded "salvage." A national expert called that a "state-sanctioned loophole." ...]

Depending on how old a car has to be for the exemption this might be a good law. As others have stated above a relatively minor fender-bender that an insurance company would be quick to fix on a car a few years old worth $15,000 or more might represent almost all of the "book" value on a 12 year-old car so they declare it totaled and give the owner a check for "book" value and register the car as "totaled" even though it might be driven for many more miles.