PDA

View Full Version : My Pinarello purchase (the one from VT Craigslist)

WNC rider
04-09-2018, 12:00 PM
Some of you saw this thread about a Pinarello that was on Craigslist in Vermont:
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=219096
(by the way, if any of you emailed the seller and still have their contact info, please let me know, as I would like to get in touch them.)

Well, through a series of emails, phone calls, and a few hand-offs between friends along the east coast, I have received the Pinarello and am going to start going through it.
There is a dent on the drive side chainstay which I hope will not be terminal (you can see pics of this in the flikr album).

I still don't know what model it is. I am leaning towards it being a repaint, because I can see a different color white below the pearlescent white paint, there is chrome below the underlying white paint(s), and the decals are all in super condition.
More pics here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/56092896@N07/albums/72157667541115158

I'd like some help identifying/confirming some of the components. Below is a list of what I can identify at this time.
Frame: Columbus
Dropouts: Pinarello
Tubing Decal: TUBI RINFORZATI GARANTITI ACCIAIO SPECIALE COLUMBUS
Fork: Columbus
Fork Decal: Columbus Forcella Originale (on both sides of fork)
Wheelset: Mavic Open 4CD
Hubs: Mavic 500 series, Mavic skewers have steel levers, alloy nuts (550?).
BB: Campagnolo (presuming Chorus at this time)
Crankset: Campagnolo C-Record, 172.5, "71 in a box" date code, self extracting bolts, 53/42 chainrings
Calipers: Campagnolo Monoplaner Chorus(?). Wrong adjusters. No Campagnolo logos on caliper arms, wrong brake shoes/holders on front.
Levers: Campagnolo Corsa Record with 'power grade' (velobase), Croce d'Aune(?)
Hoods: white Campagnolo aero/top exit compatible
Bars: Cinelli Giro D'Italia 64-42
Stem: 3TTT
Headset: Campagnolo Chorus (?)
Shifters: Campagnolo C-Record SL-01RE CG, indexed only
FD: Campagnolo C-Record (with some wrong hardware), clamp on
RD: Campagnolo Chorus carbon 10 speed
Seatpost: Campagnolo Record (aero)
Seatpost bolt: Campagnolo
Saddle: Selle Italia Flite Titanium
Freewheel: Sachs LY 96, 13-21 7spd
Colors: pearlescent white (possible repaint??)
DT Decal: Pinarello (both sides)
TT Decal: Pinarello (front), Pinarello signature (rear), right side only
Headbadge Decal: Pinarello sticker
Seat stay Decal: none
Seat tube Decal(s): Pinarello (on each side) Treviso, Italia in center. Double "P" on the back of the tube at clamp bolt.

I'm really looking forward to riding this, as it's my size, and it's also my first Italian bike.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/786/40584898764_62a48473be_b.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/802/40402271405_153e557737_b.jpg

Some details:
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/819/39488960760_928dba290b_b.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/886/39488951450_e756b1859c_b.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/785/26426326757_0f8eec6bf0_b.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/901/26426324027_706a84f94c_b.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/867/26426330897_a94cf86f36_b.jpg

fiamme red
04-09-2018, 12:34 PM
I'm glad that someone from the forum bought it to ride, not to flip. Congratulations!

That Columbus decal on the seattube is pretty common on Italian bikes from the 1980's.

I have no idea what model it is. Mark Bulgier has some Pinarello catalogs on his website (http://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/), which may help you identify the model.

I wonder what could have caused that dent on the chainstay. How deep is it?

clyde the point
04-09-2018, 01:10 PM
When you have torn it down to f/f removing all parts stick your finger inside the seat tube from bb and if it's smooth, great, if rifling present, great. Need to Framesaver Boeshield Linseed oil whatever that frame, take care of rust spots with careful rust removal and touch up. Some of those parts are pretty nice however the more modern shifters / brake levers are much easier to deal with, other than cost, which judging by the VW van and bike, won't hurt you much. That fork is a thing of beauty with the gentle bend near the drops. Hopefully not your doing but that seat angle is making me nauseous! If it is your doing then level that thing out and take the strain off your shoulders/arms.

I love me some Pinarello they are great bikes. Corrosion on any steel frame is something to be dealt with. Those Synchro II levers, if mine, would be off to ebay! Not worth fooling with really, with their multiple inserts and such.

Enjoy!

ultraman6970
04-09-2018, 03:29 PM
The columbus decals are from a repaint, so definitely is a repaint. The white you mention under the pearl paint could be white acrylic primer, then white and then the pearl on top.

For 150 bucks or whatever you paid that thing is a steal, my honest opinion ok? You have to get that thing strip down naked, and then peel the paint off. There's some rust going on together with some paint cracking in the wrong places, just to check out the integrity of the frame, saying that because you never know what is going on with the metal.

For 150 + shipping bucks you can afford to get that refinish I guess, paint it yourself maybe?

:)

WNC rider
04-09-2018, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the info. These are all "as purchased" pics. As of right now, I've had the bike for 3 days and have been doing a lot of other things during that time.

No the seat angle is not my doing! It also makes my brain hurt, and will be adjusted before I do any test rides. Edit: I just leveled out the saddle. It looks a lot better now!

The VW is not mine, it belongs to my friend in Vermont (who picked up the bike for me). I've had a lot of busses in the past, just not currently.

Regarding the brake levers: what levers should I be using with the monoplaners? I've read that the levers should have an integrated quick release because the calipers don't have quick releases. I'm open to suggestions on that (would prefer to keep it Campagnolo though, if possible).

Yeah, the rust will be addressed.
Edit: I removed the seat post, shined a flashlight down the seat tube, and there is no rifling inside.

The bike it not a huge priority, I have others to ride, but it is at the front of the line for being worked on next, when I have the time.

ultraman6970
04-09-2018, 06:32 PM
If the frame is ok under the paint I would go potenza in that thing... guys put their eyes in the parts already :P

BTW dont sell the headset :D

WNC rider
04-11-2018, 02:42 PM
I'm not getting the references there ^^. :(

Took the Pin for a ride today, a short ~6 mile test run. Nice, smooth, quiet, and notice the saddle angle :) . Needs some minor adjusting here and there, but overall the initial trip was a success.

fiamme red
04-11-2018, 02:48 PM
I'm not getting the references there ^^. :(

Took the Pin for a ride today, a short ~6 mile test run. Nice, smooth, quiet, and notice the saddle angle :) . Needs some minor adjusting here and there, but overall the initial trip was a success.Looks great. Enjoy!

pitonpat
04-11-2018, 07:13 PM
I nearly pulled the trigger on that one since my son lives nearby! As I recall it was a pretty attractive price.

*Disclaimer: Opinionated style advice follows.... I think black bar tape would improve the look.

oldpotatoe
04-12-2018, 07:09 AM
Thanks for the info. These are all "as purchased" pics. As of right now, I've had the bike for 3 days and have been doing a lot of other things during that time.

No the seat angle is not my doing! It also makes my brain hurt, and will be adjusted before I do any test rides. Edit: I just leveled out the saddle. It looks a lot better now!

The VW is not mine, it belongs to my friend in Vermont (who picked up the bike for me). I've had a lot of busses in the past, just not currently.

Regarding the brake levers: what levers should I be using with the monoplaners? I've read that the levers should have an integrated quick release because the calipers don't have quick releases. I'm open to suggestions on that (would prefer to keep it Campagnolo though, if possible).

Yeah, the rust will be addressed.
Edit: I removed the seat post, shined a flashlight down the seat tube, and there is no rifling inside.

The bike it not a huge priority, I have others to ride, but it is at the front of the line for being worked on next, when I have the time.

Like these.. I have some BTW, with hoods..PM if you's like pix.

Vecchio's has the proper domed barrel adjusters, BTW..

Nice rig..:)

WNC rider
04-12-2018, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the comments, and thanks for the brake lever info. I am an idiot, as the levers that are on the bike do have quick releases, I was just unfamiliar with how they worked. Now that I know, it seems so simple!
The handlebar tape, while dirty, is rather comfortable, so at least for now it's gonna stay. The bike is still in the 'as purchased' phase, and any changes will happen slowly, I'm in no rush.
I have a Cinelli 1R stem that I am contemplating installing.
I'd like to get rid of the Chorus carbon 10 speed rear derailleur and put on something more in line with the (seemingly) mostly Record parts that are on the bike. I have zero plans to go 10 speed so I'll probably keep an eye out for an 8 speed Record (anyone interested in a trade?).

oldpotatoe
04-13-2018, 07:37 AM
Thanks for the comments, and thanks for the brake lever info. I am an idiot, as the levers that are on the bike do have quick releases, I was just unfamiliar with how they worked. Now that I know, it seems so simple!
The handlebar tape, while dirty, is rather comfortable, so at least for now it's gonna stay. The bike is still in the 'as purchased' phase, and any changes will happen slowly, I'm in no rush.
I have a Cinelli 1R stem that I am contemplating installing.
I'd like to get rid of the Chorus carbon 10 speed rear derailleur and put on something more in line with the (seemingly) mostly Record parts that are on the bike. I have zero plans to go 10 speed so I'll probably keep an eye out for an 8 speed Record (anyone interested in a trade?).

Anything from about 1992 or later would really work great with those shifters.