PDA

View Full Version : HED rim tape - crinkled?

oldguy00
04-09-2018, 10:12 AM
Hi all, I have some of the new HED rim tape, thin black color stuff, that I've installed on some new Jet black wheels. I put a tire and latex tube on it, had it inflated for about a week, then ended up removing the tire, wheel still hadn't been ridden.
When looking at the tape, I see wrinkles all over, even though they weren't there when I put it on, and lots of buldges on the tube. Is something wrong here? I was very careful to pull the tape tight when installing! Is there a different type of cloth tape that is acceptable to use on HED wheels?
Oh, and pretty sure the wrinkles have nothing to do with the spoke holes, as they are much closer together than the spoke holes..
Thanks!

mktng
04-09-2018, 10:15 AM
rim tape wasn't installed tight enough. once the tire and tube were installed and inflated. the tape just shifted

this really shouldnt affect performance what so ever.

however if youre going to run tubeless. id probably re apply the tape. but im not a tubeless pro... so maybe dont listen to me

oldguy00
04-09-2018, 10:19 AM
rim tape wasn't installed tight enough. once the tire and tube were installed and inflated. the tape just shifted

this really shouldnt affect performance what so ever.

however if youre going to run tubeless. id probably re apply the tape. but im not a tubeless pro... so maybe dont listen to me

I won't be running tubeless. I'm more concerned about the deformity of the tube, if it is being weakened based on the discoloration and deformity..

Oh, and I can't imagine how I could have put it on tighter!! I was pulling it really tight when installing! I guess yeah it must have still shifted. I wonder if velox is too thick for these rims...

Black Dog
04-09-2018, 10:58 AM
That is what all latex tubes look like after being installed and inflated. That is perfectly normal. As for the rim tape not a big deal. Keep on keeping on, all is well.

oldguy00
04-09-2018, 10:58 AM
Thx!

R3awak3n
04-09-2018, 11:00 AM
I guess I never install my tubeless tape tight enough because it always looks like that... and I run tubeless and never a problem

oldguy00
04-09-2018, 11:03 AM
I guess I never install my tubeless tape tight enough because it always looks like that... and I run tubeless and never a problem

Thanks. I think this is the first wheelset I've had, that has the really deep 'well' in the center to work with tubeless, maybe that is what allows the wrinkles in the tape..

mktng
04-09-2018, 11:31 AM

could be design?

i've never had this issue with my stan's tape.

i cant say i go overboard with applying the tape tight. but i mean.. ive had this happen with regular rim tape. and by re applying it tighter the problem went away.

oldpotatoe
04-09-2018, 12:28 PM
I won't be running tubeless. I'm more concerned about the deformity of the tube, if it is being weakened based on the discoloration and deformity..

Oh, and I can't imagine how I could have put it on tighter!! I was pulling it really tight when installing! I guess yeah it must have still shifted. I wonder if velox is too thick for these rims...

2 layers? Need that with tubeless tape when using tubes with road pressures.

jwess1234
04-09-2018, 01:46 PM
Just set up tubeless on Belgium + rim with the stock tape. A few notes:

1) I pulled very tight and got a few wrinkles

2) Do not double wrap the tape per HED's instructions for this new tape

3) I ran tubes for 3 weeks to really push the adhesive hard between the rim and tape, and this worked well (still some small wrinkles over the holes in a few spots).

I've had 0 issues wiht my panaracer Race3 Evo + orange seal for the past 3 months.

oldguy00
04-09-2018, 03:26 PM
Thanks all.

Oldpotatoe - as per the previous post to this, HED specifically says to use only one layer of this new tape.

Cheers