PDA

View Full Version : Serotta Colorado LT versus Litespeed Classic

dwightskin
10-13-2006, 01:02 PM
I'm interested in anyones opinions regarding the ride of a older Serotta Colorado LT (Late '80's? - my current bike) versus a 2001 Litespeed Classic.

The Litespeed will come with a Carbon Fork, so I assume will be quite a bit lighter (2 lbs) but will there really be a change in handling/performance? Is the Litespeed worth spending $500 for.

My Serotta has already undergone a rattle-can paint job and it's starting to get really rusty again. I suppose I could get it professionally repainted but then I'm looking at $300 or more already.

I'm a fast club rider.

Dwight

Big Dan
10-13-2006, 01:17 PM
1992 Lt............. :)

Ken Robb
10-13-2006, 01:42 PM
LS Classic can be a good ride if it fits you. I think some LS bikes get a little noodly in bigger sizes like the 59cm Natchez I used to own. Their higher end bikes are probably better in that regard. If the bike has an Icon carbon fork get rid of it.

thejen12
10-13-2006, 01:48 PM
I've never had the pleasure of riding a Serotta, but I love my Litespeed Classic. It has a very smooth ride. I recently rode my friend's Steve Rex steel bike and couldn't believe how much road chatter came up through that bike compared with my Litespeed. Her bike had a steel fork, which accounts for a lot of it, but my Litespeed only has a lower-end carbon fork, the Kinesis Carbon 3. Even so, I could feel that the Litespeed was smoother all over, not just in the front end.

I love the geometry of the Classic, it's perfect for century rides and multi-day rides. More relaxing and stable than my Masi racing bike, but more agile than my old Klein which was supposedly built for touring. (I say supposedly, because I can't imagine touring on that harsh old aluminum bike.)

I have a 51cm Classic frame (polished) that I'll be selling when I strip off the components. I hate to give it up, but I have a back problem that necessitates a much shorter top tube. If you're in the San Jose area, you could come over and try it out while it's still built up, assuming it's your size.

I hope you find someone here who has ridden both to give you a fair comparison.

Jenn

Brian Smith
10-13-2006, 09:57 PM
Is putting the money toward a new kit for the Serotta an option?
Weight is, of course, only one performance factor, and you may be better off overall with a new kit on the current frameset. I'm sure there are worse frames and worse buys than a $500 used Litespeed Classic and carbon fork, but I'd just as soon add another $300 for a used kit to complete that one and then have 2 bikes. This is of course why there are roughly 3 times as many bicycles as pieces of furniture in my place, but that's my own problem....