PDA

View Full Version : Do i need special cables for Campagnolo shifters and brakes?

colker
04-09-2018, 08:12 AM
If so.. what differs them from say a generic cable set?
I am talking 10sp.

cmbicycles
04-09-2018, 09:56 AM
Brake, usually the head is not quite as deep on campy but most other road brake cables fit fine. Shifter cables, the cable head is smaller diameter for campy (or campy compatible) cables, so other cables will usually get stuck in the shifter if not filed to fit.

ultraman6970
04-09-2018, 10:08 AM
You can put jagwire shimano cables w/o any problem, the only mod you have to do is to dremel the shifter cable head to fit the cable spooler, take your old cable out and measure it and then dremel, if you dremel too much is not a problem either.

Or get campagnolo jagwire that comes already in the right size, besides that IME you can run stuff that is not campy with the campy group

Mzilliox
04-09-2018, 10:09 AM
I have used generics on both 10 an 11 speed campagnolo with no issue

dddd
04-09-2018, 02:05 PM
These days I lean toward using generic black-coated cables with Shimano and Campagnolo heads on each end.
After cutting off the head not needed, the cable can be trickier to feed through all of the guides, ferrules and housings since it is prone to fraying, but these shift cables are also a smaller 1.1mm diameter so that makes then easier to fit through openings.
Thinner cables don't bow as much coming off of curved guides, so despite their thinner cross section they feel less elastic once installed, and shifting improves!
As a plus, they also fit the 1.1mm cable requirement for SRAM shift levers.

carpediemracing
04-09-2018, 09:32 PM
I have 2 newer and 3 older Campy 10s lever sets. Currently the 2 newer are in action, I lent/gave one older set to a friend, and the other two are sitting on the shelf for back up. Plus I have a set of 10s levers on the tandem (with Shimano 9s otherwise) and my wife has a set of 10s levers on her bike as well.

I use 1.1mm gear cable for smoother actuation; the cables are shaved around the perimeter so they are smooth. If the heads don't fit (I try putting the head in from the other direction for testing fit) I file them down. If you don't file them down they'll pull into place after a few shifts but it'll be absolute hell getting the heads back out.

I also use Nokon segmented housing. Combined with the 1.1mm smooth gear cable there's so little friction that I've thought I'd forgotten to put the cable through when putting stuff together. It feels almost like it's an electric shifter (in the rear). For front derailleurs the spring is so strong that you know the cable is there.

If using the new style shifter (gen 3 with the tall hoods) you'll need a narrower housing ferrule going into the hood. The Nokons fit directly so I don't worry about it, but someone using regular housing will need to make sure they have the proper narrow housing end caps.

bfd
04-09-2018, 10:12 PM
If so.. what differs them from say a generic cable set?
I am talking 10sp.

Another option is to get Yokozuna cables. My LBS is an authorized Campy shop and they actually think these are better than OE Campy cables! Further, they buy these in bulk, box of 100, and sell them for like $4-5 each. A pretty good deal compared to Campy cables. Of course, YMMV! Good Luck!

oldpotatoe
04-10-2018, 06:57 AM
These days I lean toward using generic black-coated cables with Shimano and Campagnolo heads on each end.
After cutting off the head not needed, the cable can be trickier to feed through all of the guides, ferrules and housings since it is prone to fraying, but these shift cables are also a smaller 1.1mm diameter so that makes then easier to fit through openings.
Thinner cables don't bow as much coming off of curved guides, so despite their thinner cross section they feel less elastic once installed, and shifting improves!
As a plus, they also fit the 1.1mm cable requirement for SRAM shift levers.

Agree, 1.1 generic, slick, stainless is the way to go for any shifting 'system'. In the shop, I bought file boxes of Campag specific but used them on the 'other' two brands as well..Yes, I worked on sram......:eek:
1.1 and 5mm der housing/brass ferrules for those levers that can use it..best setup, IMHO

colker
04-10-2018, 08:00 AM
Thanks everybody. I will procceed w/ the instructions.:beer: