PDA

View Full Version : OT: Mexico City Suggestions?

Lurvey
04-08-2018, 10:19 AM
Spending May 2nd–9th with my lady and two friends in Mexico City. First time in Mexico. Any suggestions of stuff to do or even what part of the city to stay in? Looking at Airbnbs.

Anything relating to food, art, design, bikes, coffee, sight-seeing, etc, etc..

ultraman6970
04-08-2018, 10:39 AM
If a Mexican tells you that the place is 2 blocks away... take a taxi r you will be walking for 3 days.

Enjoy their food, is excellent!

colker
04-08-2018, 10:55 AM
My favourite place in DF to stay is Coyoacan. It´s bohemian, pretty, great food in the main plaza.
It´s an intense city. They have great museums and many of those are located at Chapultepec: you should visit the anthropology museum even if you don´t like museums. Then there is Rufino Tamajo close by.
Polanco is beautifull and wealthy.
Mexicans and chillangos ( DF people) love shopping. They have beautifull plazas and malls w/ every single high end clothing shop.
Food!!! F%&/... i love eating in Mexico City. There is so many great places to eat not only exquisite traditional mexican but italian, steak, pizza.. I recommend trying oaxaqueña cuisine.
Their beer is not bad! Not bad at all. Try the Negra Modelo.
Other than Coyoacan i love La Roma... their avant garde hipster neighbourhood. It was heavily hit by the earthquake but most of their art nouveau and striking new architecture is alive. Lots of laid back atmosphere. Plaza Rio de Janeiro is a must. Sit outside, have a beer or coffe and enjoy the parade.

It is a dangerous city.. Follow advice from hotels. Don´t pick up any taxi. Use Uber.

Cicli
04-08-2018, 10:56 AM
My favorite part of Mexico City is Los Angeles.

beeatnik
04-08-2018, 11:16 AM
Cicli, if only LA were a global capital as Mexico (they just call it Mexico or DF down there).

aka

Amores Perros is a better film than Pulp Fiction

aka

Is Iowa farther from the Border than Orange County.

aka

How many scumbags does it take to staff a slaughterhouse?

Cicli
04-08-2018, 11:26 AM
Cicli, if only LA were a global capital as Mexico (they just call it Mexico or DF down there).

aka

Amores Perros is a better film than Pulp Fiction

aka

Is Iowa farther from the Border than Orange County.

aka

How many scumbags does it take to staff a slaughterhouse?

I was raised in Los Angeles. My wife was born in Mexico and we lived in Orange County for 35 years.
Mexico is great. I have spent alot of time there. There is alot to see in both Mexico City and LA. Good and bad.

beeatnik
04-08-2018, 11:31 AM
Yep, the good and the bad. I can almost hear my mom's voice repeating that.

If you're ever back in LA, "street" tacos in South Central on me!

Cicli
04-08-2018, 11:34 AM
Yep, the good and the bad. I can almost hear my mom's voice repeating that.

If you're ever back in LA, "street" tacos in South Central on me!

Thats the best part of LA. Tacos. In Iowa, everyone I know comes to my house for Mexican food.
Sorry to derail the original topic. Enjoy Mexico City. Its alot of fun.

kgreene10
04-08-2018, 01:05 PM
I’ve lived in Mexico City for four years and agree with everything Colker wrote a about neighborhoods.

One note - as we get closer to the July 1 general elections, the atmosphere will change some. At a minimum, you will see and hear more political activity. And if you are interested in politics, it’s a fascinating election. It’s unlikely that the elections create any additional worry for you, if that was a concern.

RC.
04-08-2018, 01:45 PM
My favorite part of Mexico City is Los Angeles.

What does this even mean? Please advise.

Lurvey
04-08-2018, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the thoughtful replies, guys. Can't wait!

cadence90
04-08-2018, 02:55 PM
.... ..

eltejano
04-08-2018, 04:54 PM
There are a lot of great airBnBs in La Roma and La Condessa.
Not sure if you speak Spanish, so Uber works well there and prevents you from arguing prices with Taxi drivers.

For coffee: Buna 42 (also has great Chilaquiles in the morning). And one of my faves for coffee is Chiquitito Cafe. There's also a El Morro Churro spot near Chiquitito. The hot chocolate is super rich.

For food there's a market-beer hall place called Mercado Roma in La Roma - the beer place is on the roof, the lower floor has a bunch of stalls to try different foods/restaurants. It's tourist-friendly and more accessible if you don't speak Spanish and are intimidated by the big markets. Good for lunch and pre-dinner drinks and snacks.

For culture- what was written above about the Anthropology Museum stands- It's ridiculously great. There's also the museum behind the Cathedral at the Zocalo (the main square) and is well worth the time.

Near there is also a government building that has a great art collection too including some murals from Orozco and others. You give them your passport to get in (I think it's free, but if you're not Mexican you have to leave ID) and they give it back when you leave. I'll try to find the name, but it's basically to the right of the cathedral if you're facing it.

Let me know if you need more food recs or addresses, I should have them around somewhere.

Que te vaya bien!

cmg
04-08-2018, 06:06 PM
What does this even mean? Please advise.

a bit of sarcasm. there are as many mexicans in LA as in mexico city, enough to be considered a suburb............. the sarcasm on last nights saturday night live was better.

colker
04-08-2018, 06:11 PM
a bit of sarcasm. there are as many mexicans in LA as in mexico city, enough to be considered a suburb............. the sarcasm on last nights saturday night live was better.
US and Mexico are so different it´s silly of my part to compare.

RC.
04-08-2018, 08:13 PM

I'd add a caveat of underwhelming. Very underwhelming sarcasm.

Lurvey
05-10-2018, 10:50 AM
Back at my desk today. :o

What a fun trip! We ended up staying the whole time with our friends' family somewhere in the southside of the city rather than get an airbnb. Their cousin had a car and showed us around a bunch. Seriously loved the variety and range of culture/lifestyles/vibe between each neighbourhood. I'd really love to spend a few months there in the future.

Highlights:
—The food! 10 peso pastor tacos all day. Chilaquiles for breakfast. Mmmmmole. Churros 2–3 times a day. 25 peso fresh juices! Went to a few nicer restaurants, but generally the cheaper street stuff was more our vibe. My gf and I spent only about $500usd over the week and ate at every whim the whole time. I don't think I actually felt hungry the whole time.
—Xochimilco on a weekday in the rain, ended up being a really cool, quiet vibe.
—Drinking Big Gulps of Victoria and Sol at Lucha Libre
—Looking at art and design books at Aeromoto
—Walking/bar hopping around Coyoacan at night
—Spotting skatespots. Def bringing my skateboard next time..
—Lazing around in the sun in the park around the zoo and anthro museum with my girlfriend eating churros and drinking juice. Some days felt a little too fast-paced for me, so times like this were nice.

There's so much more, but overall such a lovely trip!

andeww
05-10-2018, 02:38 PM
Im glad you enjoyed it, i really did too. I am hoping to make it a yearly Thanksgiving weekend tradition. I did splurge on food and booze and it ended up being more expensive than Tokyo for me, which seems insane.

bthornt
05-10-2018, 03:04 PM
Did you make a visit to the Velodrome where Merckx and Moser set the hour record?

donevwil
05-10-2018, 03:20 PM
... it ended up being more expensive than Tokyo for me, which seems insane.

This got my attention, most expensive weekend in my life was in Tokyo (Zurich a close second) and I consciously avoided going over the top. Please, more detail on just how you pulled that off (assuming it's PC)? Can Mexico City be that expensive?

redir
05-10-2018, 03:52 PM
I would have suggested taking a taxi out to Teotihuacan. Pretty cool place to visit.

rrudoff
05-10-2018, 06:28 PM
Teotihuacan was a highlight for me on a recent trip with my Brothers, as was a pulque bar-but that might be an acquired taste for many. I found food, drink, and Uber remarkably cheap. Even when we went out to Pujol for a fancy meal, it was cheap considering. Really enjoyed the city and the people, though traffic was bad enough to make walking three miles quicker at times.

andeww
05-10-2018, 06:38 PM
This got my attention

All i ever heard was how expensive Tokyo was and out of reach, so i went in with a mindset that i had to stay away from the super high tier Michelin star restaurants and best sushi options available or i was not going to make it back alive. ( this was also a last minute booking and not my main trip this year )

So we stuck with ramen and mid range sushi which was affordable and great to me. Also booze wise, just local beer which i enjoy and wasn't expensive either. The overall experience of Tokyo was so foreign that i did not feel i was sacrificing anything here that i would regret when i got back home.

Now for Mexico City, i went in with the opposite mindset. I live in S. Cal and can get good street tacos all day, so i opted to book the best restaurants in reach. Real deal mole, octopus, bone-in red snapper and what got me here was the booze. Strictly a mezcal and tequila trip which added up i guess.