PDA

View Full Version : Which wheel... ?

Avispa
10-13-2006, 10:47 AM
I have given up on fancy wheels! I think that today, because of tech. advances, most wheels are prettey good...

My current philosophy is: As long as the wheel stays true and it takes me home, that's a good wheel for me. ;)

So with that said. For regular training on relativelly good roads, which wheels would be a better option:

1) Ksyrium SL (the silver ones) or
2) Mavic Open pro with 32 hole record hubs, DT revolution or competition spokes.

Thanks!

Lanternrouge
10-13-2006, 10:54 AM
Unless you get a really good deal on the Ksyriums, you are much better off with the Open Pros. Ksyriums are way overpriced and their bling factor just isn't as high as it used to be since there are so many better ones out there. The Open Pros will be lighter and spare spokes and rims (if needed) won't be special orders. I think the thing about Ksyriums at that they are "fancy" but not cool enough to be blingy. Other than being overpriced, I have nothing against Ksyirums as I've had many pairs over the years and have been happy with them.

SLOrider
10-13-2006, 11:08 AM
You may get some members who will swear on one or the other but I have both of these sets and think either would be fine.

I always had my Record open pro's because I was worried that the SL's would go out often. But they don't. They are very durable and dependable.

The open pro's I believe speak for themselves. SL's will ride a bit rough but may also be lighter if that is of importance to you.

I think it comes down to looks. Do you want a flashier, race type wheel or a more traditional set up? You will not be dissapointed with either choice as far as performance. Good luck.

petitelilpettit
10-13-2006, 11:08 AM
The Open Pro/Record hub option is your best way to go. First off, the Ksyriums are a pain to keep true (I work at a bike shop, btw), and the warranty department of Mavic has been sub-par with our shop. The handbuilt wheels are the best way to go. Lanternrouge is very true in stating that standard spokes do not need to be ordered. If you break a spoke, you can go into (nearly) any bike shop and get it replaced, whereas with the Ksyriums you have to go into a Mavic dealer and hope that they have your rear non-drive side spoke. If built properly, handbuilt wheels will be completely bombproof and will require little truing. However, I would suggest going with a Velocity rim rather than an Open Pro. Go with either the Aerohead or the Fusion rim, unless you want the Deep V. Hope this helps.

Pettit

Ken Robb
10-13-2006, 11:14 AM
I got rid of my Ksyriums because I didn't like being pushed around in crosswinds. OPs work fine for me on Chorus, Ultegra, and DA hubs.

tv_vt
10-13-2006, 11:43 AM
I've got a 32 spoked wheelset, built by Wheelbuilder.com, with Open Pros and Dura Ace 9speed hubs. And with 3x Sapim CX Ray spokes. Those spokes are totally amazing. They will turn an ordinary spoked wheel into something truly special. Very aero, light, strong. I'm really impressed with them, and with the build job Wheelbuilder did.

Thom

72gmc
10-13-2006, 11:51 AM
i had a builder recommend cx ray spokes last time i bought handbuilts, but as i recall it was only for one side of the rear wheel. i may have a faulty memory... i'm 6'1" and 175 pounds, is there a weight concern with cx ray spokes?

tv_vt
10-13-2006, 12:07 PM
There's not one I'm aware of. FWIW I weigh about 180 and the wheels feel fine, stiffness-wise. Yet at the same time, they're really smooth.

GregL
10-13-2006, 12:13 PM
I have Sapim CX-Rays on my race wheels. They are more than strong engough for a standard 32 spoke wheel My rear race wheel has 24 CX-Ray spokes in a two-cross pattern. I don't think I've had to true that wheel in the past 2-3 years. Now if I could just find a dealer who will sell CX-Rays at a reasonable price...

Regards,
Greg

72gmc
10-13-2006, 12:50 PM
thanks. faulty memory it is.

djg
10-13-2006, 01:11 PM
First off, the Ksyriums are a pain to keep true (I work at a bike shop, btw), and the warranty department of Mavic has been sub-par with our shop.
Pettit

A pain to keep true? I think that the current retail price is just about shocking, and it's not hard for me to imagine all sorts of reasons to go elsewhere...but I had a set of Ks (the SSLs) for four years--rode over all sorts of pavement and never had to true them once. I don't think that's a freak experience--I know a number of folks who've reported the same. I've also seen reports of cracked rims on Ks, but I've only seen one such rim personally.

OPs with suitable spokes (and spoke count) and decent hubs will absolutely be easier to maintain once you are doing maintenance, and should perform just fine too, but I've never had wheels built around Reflex or OP rims that needed as little care as the Mavics--might just be a matter of luck, or choice in builders, but that's my experience.

mikemets
10-13-2006, 02:28 PM
my '05 Campy Eurus wheels have been absolutely bomb proof with about 10K miles on them, and well, they look cool, to me anyway, and they're Campy.

hard to beat :D

vaxn8r
10-13-2006, 03:42 PM
I think you _can_ get a solid handbuilt wheel, if the builder is competent. Lot's of shops don't build wheels very often anymore so when they do they just aren't very skilled. I would never, ever buy a machine built wheel from Colorado or Excel or anywhere really. Even if they hand finish or whatever they claim they do. The price may look attractive but more than likely it's going to be a headache and require rebuilding far earlier than it should. If you insist on a handbuilt wheel, find somebody who's built hundreds, or more, wheelsets.

I think prebuilts from Shimano/Mavic/Campy are very, very dependable and reasonably light. You pay a premium but ATMO you get that back in performance and reliability. All bets are off when you get into the ultralight wheelsets.

I know there's supposed to be a way to fix the OP "POP" but that in itself is a reason to not buy any wheel with OP rims. I've had too many sets do this.

tmanley
10-13-2006, 04:05 PM
There's not one I'm aware of. FWIW I weigh about 180 and the wheels feel fine, stiffness-wise. Yet at the same time, they're really smooth.

I've got a set of Velocity Aerohead rims, CX-rays laces 32 front radial/36 2x rear, and I weigh 215. No problems what so ever...

jthurow
10-13-2006, 04:28 PM
One of the reasons that the builder might have only recommended the Sapim CX-Rays for one side of the rear wheel (I'm guessing the non-drive side) is that using different gauge spokes on the rear wheel helps to even the tension between the two sides of the wheel. Just a thought...

jimi

thejen12
10-13-2006, 05:04 PM
What about DT Swiss RR1.1 rims instead of the Open Pros? They are a little bit lighter at 415g and look comparable. Does anyone on this board have any experience with them?

Jenn

wasfast
10-13-2006, 06:24 PM
Not sure about the newer eyeletted version but the original DT rims had lots of reported failures at the nipple openings. DT added ferrules for prevention which raised the rim weight. For all that futzing around, I'll just stick with what works, OP's....

PBWrench
10-14-2006, 10:02 AM
Wasp-man - my personal recommendation for a heavy dude like you.

Vancouverdave
10-14-2006, 11:05 AM
Another Velocity item, the Aerohead is available in an off-center rear specific rim. I have built a few of these for gorillas who can't keep anything else straight and they are experiencing no problems at all with them. I usually build rear wheels with Sapim Race (14/15/14) right side and Laser (14/17/14) left. Builds a reliable wheel with a nice lively ride.

ergott
10-14-2006, 11:24 AM
Another Velocity item, the Aerohead is available in an off-center rear specific rim. I have built a few of these for gorillas who can't keep anything else straight and they are experiencing no problems at all with them. I usually build rear wheels with Sapim Race (14/15/14) right side and Laser (14/17/14) left. Builds a reliable wheel with a nice lively ride.

Same build here
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21902&sid=72afbb932ca7d320907f55681812b716

They came out real nice.