PDA

View Full Version : Reccomend a daily ride?

Jcgill
04-07-2018, 04:30 PM
Hello all, hopefully my wife won’t find this thread but here goes...

Kicking around the idea of adding an average production bike to the stable later this summer or fall.
Current road rides are: Moots Vammots CR with 6800 as my nice solo long day bike. 2010 Madone with 6700 nice weather go fast bike. 2011 CAAD10 with 6700 travel/bad weather/group ride bike.

I am more or less looking for a moden road bike similar to those and possibly want to try di2 this time (Even if i get a bike with 8000 now and i can change the frame grommits and get the di2 bits later....not an option with my 2010/11 bikes.)

Not really interested in discs as i am in the Chicagoland area and most of my bikes are still on the oem rim brake pads the roads are so flat....unless there is another reason i really need discs.

So what modern bikes should i check out?
Cannondale evo, canyon, and scott are a few brands that i have thought of, am i missing any other good framesets or well speced bikes? The 2018 evo Ultegra is $2,600 so that is kind of my starting point, canyon has a 3500 di2 bike as well.....what are the best bikes in this category?

MattTuck
04-07-2018, 04:39 PM
What tires are you looking to run? And what roads?

A 'daily ride' means different things to different people. I hear that and I am thinking of something blue collar workman style.

Jcgill
04-07-2018, 05:00 PM
Sorry, should have been more specific, basically a paved road bike that can do anything from a solo century, to a group ride, to the local Wednesday night hammer fest, to grabbing some strava sprint segments. Regular 23s or 25s preferably.

Not looking to ride it on any dirt, gravel, groad or drink any of that koolaid the guys nowadays are sipping on.

AngryScientist
04-07-2018, 05:03 PM
Sorry, should have been more specific, basically a paved road bike that can do anything from a solo century, to a group ride, to the local Wednesday night hammer fest, to grabbing some strava sprint segments. Regular 23s or 25s preferably.

Not looking to ride it on any dirt, gravel, groad or drink any of that koolaid the guys nowadays are sipping on.

it sounds like you have three bikes that fit that job description already. is there something you are looking to improve upon with either of those? the CAAD is basically the most often recommended "every man's road bike" and you already have one.

FlashUNC
04-07-2018, 05:21 PM
If carbon, check out the Giant TCR Advanced. Lot of bike for the money.

Jcgill
04-07-2018, 05:37 PM
it sounds like you have three bikes that fit that job description already. is there something you are looking to improve upon with either of those? the CAAD is basically the most often recommended "every man's road bike" and you already have one.

I kind of want to try di2 and none of my current frames allow grommits to be swapped for cables or wires like current frames, so i would need to run it all external with the stickers covering the wires:no:

And of course the always relevant N+1

MattTuck
04-07-2018, 05:38 PM
Not having ridden one, I have read enough accounts on here from people that I respect to consider the the trek domane with isospeed. Not really my style, but might be worth taking a look.

If it were me, I'd try to create less overlap in the bikes that you have. If I were going for an everyday frame, I'd look for something that is more durable, maybe a bit heavier, beefier wheels, etc. and make it 28mm at a minimum.

Good luck.

AngryScientist
04-07-2018, 05:38 PM
I kind of want to try di2 and none of my current frames allow grommits to be swapped for cables or wires like current frames, so i would need to run it all external with the stickers covering the wires:no:

understood.

SOOO many good bikes out there right now.

i just rented a Tarmac and i was VERY impressed with it...

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-F5oegEXGrQQ/WplVGPiVRjI/AAAAAAAAC-0/UPaGAa-Id6scLTPZVcE4PFH3mpBK8O0UgCLcBGAs/s1200/IMG_2128.JPG

rnhood
04-07-2018, 05:46 PM
Specialized Tarmac or Giant TCR. These bikes are as good as they get. The new Tarmacs can run 30 tires should you want to make it a do everything bike.

Jcgill
04-07-2018, 05:50 PM
I was eyeing tarmacs as well that looks like a nice ride.

MattTuck, i was checking out the Canyon ENdurance CF SL DISC 8.0 which comes with discs and di2 for a $3499. Which would be about the same as me getting a $2600 ultegra bike and buying the $800 di2 conversion components ate a later date.
Technically this would be an endurance bike with discs which im not sure are necessary, but it would check a few different boxes vs all the bikes I already own...which might get me sipping on that koolaid after all.....

Anyone have good or bad experiences with canyon?

SoCalSteve
04-07-2018, 05:52 PM

If you want to run electronic, run ETap and you wont have to worry about holes, wires, stickers, nada. And, the best part is, the ETap drivetrain is compatible with any 11 speed components you already have.

AngryScientist
04-07-2018, 05:54 PM
If you want to run electronic, run ETap and you wont have to worry about holes, wires, stickers, nada. And, the best part is, the ETap drivetrain is compatible with any 11 speed components you already have.

this is an excellent point. if i wanted to go electric - there is no way i'd be buying a wired group right now.

Gummee
04-07-2018, 06:03 PM
I'm partial to bikes from the big red S, so I'd say Tarmac or Allez Smartweld

M

Jcgill
04-07-2018, 06:06 PM

So they would work with my 6700 crankset as long as i buy an 11s cassette?

FlashUNC
04-07-2018, 06:49 PM

I'm running eTap with a full Campy setup -- chain, cassette and cranks -- and it shifts like it was all came outta the same company.

You'd be fine.

exapkib
04-07-2018, 07:39 PM
In that situation, is want something that could take good fenders. I chose a Black Mountain Cycles bike, and have never regretted it. (For my purposes, I chose the monster cross, but it sounds like the road frame would be more up your alley.)

Much nicer ride than I anticipated, and cheap enough to lock up when necessary.

Everyone needs a respectable steel frame in their stable, right?

SoCalSteve
04-07-2018, 09:49 PM

Yes, and 11 speed chain.

fogrider
04-07-2018, 11:17 PM
I'm not sure what you're looking for in a new bike. it seems like you have some pretty nice bikes already. you mentioned Di2, and some say that once you try it, you won't want to go back. I have it on 2 bikes and I'm fine with mechanical groups on my other bikes (4). Are you looking for something that is top tier or something more utilitarian? how about something in steel, like Ritchey which is off the self, or Strong for custom?

Kicking around the idea of adding an average production bike to the stable later this summer or fall.
Current road rides are: Moots Vammots CR with 6800 as my nice solo long day bike. 2010 Madone with 6700 nice weather go fast bike. 2011 CAAD10 with 6700 travel/bad weather/group ride bike.

I am more or less looking for a moden road bike similar to those and possibly want to try di2 this time (Even if i get a bike with 8000 now and i can change the frame grommits and get the di2 bits later....not an option with my 2010/11 bikes.)

Not really interested in discs as i am in the Chicagoland area and most of my bikes are still on the oem rim brake pads the roads are so flat....unless there is another reason i really need discs.

Cannondale evo, canyon, and scott are a few brands that i have thought of, am i missing any other good framesets or well speced bikes? The 2018 evo Ultegra is $2,600 so that is kind of my starting point, canyon has a 3500 di2 bike as well.....what are the best bikes in this category?

cachagua
04-08-2018, 01:10 AM
I kind of want to try di2... not really interested in discs unless there is another reason i really need discs.

Not looking to drink any of that koolaid the guys nowadays are sipping on...

Well which is it?

You want to buy another bike, in addition to the 3 perfectly fine bikes you have now, except there isn't one you really want, so -- you're asking us to decide for you?

That's kind of flattering, but it's a guaranteed way to end up absolutely bloated on kool-ade. Let me suggest you hold off buying anything until there's, you know, --something you want to buy. Not something someone told you you want to buy, something YOU want to buy.

Like the Subgeniuses used to say: wash your own brain.

dogrange
04-08-2018, 02:41 AM
You are in Chicago, like me. I’d go Trek Madone with the bendy seat tube and flaps on the head tube. Seriously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dougdye
04-08-2018, 08:40 AM
I love my Cannondale Super Six with e Tap. I upgraded the wheels to Hed Ardennes Black and Victoria Corsa G+ and the ride quality is sublime. under 15 lbs. for a 58cm.

colker
04-08-2018, 08:52 AM

Why not a custom bike? Why not make it a steel lugged bike? Why not a traditional looking small diameter tube? Why not call Zanconato and get it done?

Jcgill
04-08-2018, 01:11 PM
Thank you for the input everyone!

I know i really do not need another bike, and the koolaide i was speaking of was groad/disc brakes/thru axles and the like. I still love the simplicity of a rim brake qr bike which seems like nobody likes anymore.

I was just wanting to get a more “modern” internal routed frame....upon further thought you are correct that i have nice bikes already.

I guess i would be better off just riding what i have currently and enjoying that instead of adding another bike to my collection.
I was just really tempted by seeing how much bike you can get for 2-3k now a days.

erolorhun
04-08-2018, 01:22 PM
Sell off all of them except the Moots and get an Canyon Endurace or Ultimate with discs and Di2 and you´re set

Jcgill
04-08-2018, 01:33 PM
Erolorhun- That was a thought and would be a good senario, but unfortunately i would rather hang them on the wall as wall art as opposed to selling them for the huge loss. I cannont imagine they would bring more than 700-1k each. For that i would rather hang on to them.

Bob Ross
04-08-2018, 02:43 PM

A 6700 crankset is 10-speed by definition, right?

When I upgraded my formerly 6700-equipped bike to eTap I was told the chainring spacing on the existing 10-speed crankset was too wide for the eTap front derailleur.