PDA

View Full Version : Chris King B.B. compatibility questions

d_douglas
04-07-2018, 11:42 AM
This is somewhere on the interweb, but I simply cannot find it!

Can I use a designated “road” bottom bracket on my mountain bike? Assuming that it is too short/narrow, can I switch out the cups of a MTB B.B. for a ROAD B.B. or vice versa?

Are king B.B.s worth the investment ;)?? Even used, which is what I am looking at? Their Headsets are my standard and have never failed, so I assume the B.B.s are the same?

joosttx
04-07-2018, 11:48 AM
My understanding is that the seals are more robust for the MTB BB than the road BB and that is the difference. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

d_douglas
04-07-2018, 12:01 PM
Hmmm, that is something to consider. It is for a MTB in the PNW.

Basically, it’s a colour coordination thing:

I have found someone selling a road and a mountain B.B., but I want the colours reversed. I’m not sure if I can make this happen. I would want better seals on the MTB one for sure.

AngryScientist
04-07-2018, 12:34 PM
The spacing is different between road and mtb. I'm currently using a mtb bb on a 68mm road frame with an ultegra crank; but I had to add spacers to make the width correct.

For what it's worth; I had these questions before I bought the BB too, and the info on the web is confusing- I called CK; they answered quickly and the tech guy talked to me and was very knowledgeable. They are an easy company to get in touch with and know their product.

Give them a call!

eBAUMANN
04-07-2018, 12:48 PM
Mtn bb = 73mm wide
Road bb = 68mm wide

If you just ditch the inner plastic sleeve, you can use either on anything you want.

As far as them being worth it... performance differences between entry level and CK are not as noticeable with bb's as it is with headsets. Color is nice though and they can be found used for not a ton of money usually. It's a nice touch on a bike but I wouldn't really say they are "worth it" to buy new, vs a $20 Shimano bb.

kramnnim
04-07-2018, 03:19 PM
I thought King had Road and Mtb threaded BB cups and then switched over to Threadfit 24...and the type of crank you have determines which conversion kit you will need to use. (#8 for Shimano Road cranks, #10 for mtb)

djg21
04-07-2018, 04:02 PM
Mtn bb = 73mm wide
Road bb = 68mm wide

If you just ditch the inner plastic sleeve, you can use either on anything you want.

As far as them being worth it... performance differences between entry level and CK are not as noticeable with bb's as it is with headsets. Color is nice though and they can be found used for not a ton of money usually. It's a nice touch on a bike but I wouldn't really say they are "worth it" to buy new, vs a $20 Shimano bb.

I like the King BBs. I have the grease injector tool that makes servicing them really simple.

yinzerniner
04-07-2018, 10:05 PM
This is somewhere on the interweb, but I simply cannot find it!

Can I use a designated “road” bottom bracket on my mountain bike? Assuming that it is too short/narrow, can I switch out the cups of a MTB B.B. for a ROAD B.B. or vice versa?

Are king B.B.s worth the investment ;)?? Even used, which is what I am looking at? Their Headsets are my standard and have never failed, so I assume the B.B.s are the same?

Really tough to answer without knowing what the bottom bracket of the frame is. CK BB's come in many varieties and some can fit multiple BB shell widths, but cannot come up with a definitive answer without knowing what BB you're working with.

FYI - the CK PF30 BB can work in both 68 and 73 mm wide shells, so in theory it'll work with some 73mm MTB PF30 BB's.

But bottom brackets from other manufacturers don't all install the same way, so impossible to tell how they work without knowing the details.

d_douglas
04-07-2018, 11:21 PM
Well, mine is a 2014 Banshee Phantom - a 73mm threaded BB.

Based on the info I have, there is a 68/73mm version and a ‘road’ version according to seller...

In any case, there’s no PF systems to consider...

yinzerniner
04-08-2018, 08:23 AM
Well, mine is a 2014 Banshee Phantom - a 73mm threaded BB.

Based on the info I have, there is a 68/73mm version and a ‘road’ version according to seller...

In any case, there’s no PF systems to consider...

Not sure where you're getting your online info or what the seller is telling you, but here's the CK BB you need -

https://chrisking.com/products/11

And drop down menu to 73mm. No "road" or other bike type designation, only sizing.

kppolich
04-08-2018, 09:33 PM
http://images.jensonusa.com.s3.amazonaws.com/Size%20Charts/Chris_King_Compatibility_2015.jpg

ultraman6970
04-08-2018, 09:48 PM
No superior IT threading?